I liked MvC but I found myself using the same characters over and over. How about a CvSNK 3? Now that would be something I would go ape shyte for.

I like your thinking

This game has always been the epitome of what you would call an "unbalanced trainwreck", so I would never EVER play this competitively...

...but god damn was it fun.

Marvel isn't half as unbalanced as you'd like to believe. Not to mention it's still probably the most technical when it comes to commands/combos out of any game to date. There is still a lot to be discovered within the game, besides MSP isn't as hard to deal with as people make it out to be.

I liked MvC but I found myself using the same characters over and over. How about a CvSNK 3? Now that would be something I would go ape shyte for.

CvS3 would probably be a commercial failure, unless of course the newest King of Fighters sparks an interest in the series.

God, the ONLY viable teams in this game have different combinations of Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, or Cable, with Captain Commando (as support), Cyclops, Iron-Man, or Psylocke sprinkled in between.

And those are only, what...4 (or 8, if you count the others I mentioned) out of 56? Yeah, it's unbalanced and it's not any more technical than competitive Guilty Gear play...and I'd rather just play Guilty Gear if you want to get into uber-technicalities.

God, the ONLY viable teams in this game have different combinations of Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, or Cable, with Captain Commando (as support), Cyclops, Iron-Man, or Psylocke sprinkled in between.

And those are only, what...4 (or 8, if you count the others I mentioned) out of 56? Yeah, it's unbalanced and it's not any more technical than competitive Guilty Gear play...and I'd rather just play Guilty Gear if you want to get into uber-technicalities.

Cute.

I guess you've never heard of; Clockw0rk (Strider, Doom, Sent), Duc Do (Spiral, Cable, Sent), Mike Z (Juggernaut, Tron, Doom), Mike Watson (Blackheart, Sent, Commando). Shit I know a guy who uses (Rogue, Ken, Colossus) and tears ass.

Even though the game is several years old there is still so much to be discovered with it. It wasn't until a few years ago that people found out how good Dhalsim really is (high tier easy, if not top).

Low tier characters are viable, they just require more finesse than a team like MSP.

Granted, top tier teams are used quite often but if you had any idea as to the amount of money Marvel players throw down on fights you would too (Clockw0rk vs Dark Prince for $1k, Justin Wong vs Magneto Maniac in marvel 1 for $6k)

As for Guilty Gear, Marvel is much more technically demanding (see ROM infinite*). Guilty Gear also isn't as fast paced as Marvel (not saying it's slow) and doesn't have as good of a scene (which is why Marvel takes priority over just about every other event at Evo).

Besides it's not like anyone on this site is going to or currently plays Marvel competitively (outside myself) so why even bother mentioning top tier characters? And if you want broken games look at the King of Fighters series.

*The ROM infinite isn't a true infinite and to my knowledge there aren't and true infinites in marvel due to a bug that will cause the combo to drop randomly. It is called in infinite though because you can generally KO a character before the bug forces the drop (if you can physically do it for that long).

Edit: Competitive Guilty Gear play is probably going to die off in a year or so due to the arrival of Blazblue (a game you'd probably like)

Edited by Hooligan

I guess you've never heard of; Clockw0rk (Strider, Doom, Sent), Duc Do (Spiral, Cable, Sent), Mike Z (Juggernaut, Tron, Doom), Mike Watson (Blackheart, Sent, Commando). Shit I know a guy who uses (Rogue, Ken, Colossus) and tears ass
Yes, yes, I know plenty about Clockwork and Watts and other teams like that, but it still doesn't change the fact that the game is incredibly unbalanced. Those teams work because the players are just THAT much better than the opposition, which doesn't count for balance at ALL.

The fact that a select few characters are just THAT much more viable than others in the tournament scene means that it IS, indeed, inherently unbalanced. Even with the additional characters that you stated (which, btw, are High-Tier as well), that's an additional 4 characters added. Wow, now the number is up to 12 viable characters out of 56.

SO much better.

Notice how even THOSE teams (like Watts and Duc Do) use Cable, or Sentinel or Captain Commando...3 Uber-Tiered characters that I mentioned earlier.

Yeah, the Guilty Gear scene isn't anywhere near as present as the MvC2 scene, yeah, but it never was. Evo is riddled with SF4, HD:R and (to an extent) 3rd Strike now, either way.

Either way, I'm still going to get this, since you're right. Balance doesn't matter as much in non-competitive play. It's all about Hyper Combo Spam there.

Not going to respond to the Marvel mess, this could go on for days lol.

Thing is SFIV is killing other games. Eastcoast used to be the Marvel capital and now everyone stopped playing and picked up SFIV. Third Strike is dead (seriously, the monthly tournament in Ann Arbor didn't even have 3S this time), and HDR is sadly on it's way down (HDR will never die off completely, as demonstrated by Super Turbo).

If you haven't heard of

and you like Guilty Gear then well....

Not trying to completely derail the thread but; Blazblue looks too good. Supposedly the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear, but good. Like Guilty Gear, and Vampire Savior before that, Blazblue has an entirely original cast (by that I mean there aren't clones ala Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sakura, Dan, Sean, etc). It's supposedly well balanced with the exception of a single character, "Carl", who is from what I've come to understand, extremely difficult to use (yet still effective as displayed by Dio in the second link).

Oh and just as a FYI Cable has recently been dropped to high tier (Leaving top tier to be Sentinel, Storm, Magneto) and from the sounds of it Magneto might get dropped down to high tier as well. Colossus, Ken, and Rogue are actually mid tier. And if you really hate Magneto, pick Megaman. Megaman completely cockblocks Magneto (but gets ate alive by Sentinel, requiring you to play it safe). There are two semi popular "Bottom tier" characters, Thanos and Shuma Gorath, and despite their very low ranking they do fine.

(Soo is considered one of the top westcoast players btw)

Such minimal Tier revisions don't change the fact that it's unbalanced. Either way, yeah. This can go on forever.

I agree with you about SFIV, but I'm not going to blame them for it. It's a damn well-made game.

Yeah, I've been looking forward to BlazBlue for quite some time now, though I'm still disappointed that they didn't continue Guilty Gear. I guess that they couldn't really find anything to add to the Fighting Game that could justify a full-fledged sequel.