almondsAndRain

Mimi See, Mimi Do

Mimicry Archetype
Minds are malleable, as all Genjutsu practitioners know. They can be stretched thin or they can be reinforced, twisted and turned or squished and squashed, made whole or shattered like fine glass. Those that focus on this Archetype embrace that plasticity, guiding their brains - and through that, their techniques - to adapt and imitate those of the people around them.

Effects: The user may learn and perform Mimicry Archetype Genjutsu techniques.

When performing a Mimicry technique, the user may select a status effect that was part of an action performed by another character since the end of the user's last turn, if this Archetype was active when the action was performed. The user then increases the base cost of the Mimicry technique by 1.5X to add one turn of the status effect to the technique, where X is the CP cost of the status effect. The user may not select a status effect if adding it to the technique would result in the technique breaking its base damage cap.

If the user has Path of the Pupil, the cost to use this effect is instead X.

The user cannot select a status effect if they do not meet the requirements to perform techniques with that status effect normally. 

Requirements: Quick Learner or a Death Bonus. 10 posts of training.

Cost: -1.

Edited by almondsAndRain

… This is probably not actually gonna go to Mimi, but I felt compelled to make the pun. 

As far as subtypes in general go, I think this is a unique effect. It definitely is for Archetypes. It's also a versatile, strong one, though limited in that you can only throw at people what they throw at you. There's a good amount of counterplay here. I can't surprise anyone with this - if this is active, you know I'm gonna be throwing your shit back in your face, so if you don't wanna be Stunned or Vulnerable, maybe don't risk trying to make me Stunned or Vulnerable. I can also copy the statuses that allies are tossing around, but there are limited returns there. 

If you don't think this is acceptable as-is, then let's talk about stuff that might make it so - further stipulations, increasing the Chakra cost, making it cost more skill points or training, whatever. Maybe even an increase in JP for Mimicry techs, to account for their inherent versatility, though this will be annoying to account for during the creation process. 

If you don’t think it’s acceptable in general, no worries, I can always try something else.

The Pupil effect is me, like… partially Path-locking it. I don't want it completely path-locked, but a decrease in costs for members of a specific Path is cool. It's like how some clans offer discounts to their own stuff, but discounting the in-battle cost instead of the out of battle one.

"The user may not select a status effect if adding it to the technique would result in the technique breaking its base damage cap."

No adding Bleeding; 500 or whatever if it would blow up the Ghost Damage cap of your rank. 

"The user cannot select a status effect if they do not meet the requirements to perform techniques with that status effect normally."

So no Induced Regeneration if you are not a medic, no Hyuuga statuses if you are not a Hyuuga, no Corrosion if you don't have the Rust Release bloodline, and I'm sure there's more somewhere. This text can maybe be made more clear?

I keep floundering on the cost, jumping between -1 and -2. Tossed training on it to compensate.

Edited by almondsAndRain