Baromosa

Night Falls Over The City

It was your typical end of the day in Providence, Rhode Island. It had been raining the day before, and the trees and buildings were still covered in a wet residue. The day become night in the city. The evening traffic was backed up on the over pass, as usual. Young adults crowded the night clubs, bars, and restaurants, all seeking entertainment or love. Thousands of souls, each with their own motives and goals, crawling over each other in the desperate struggle called life.

In one such night club, a man named Nicolas found himself a dark corner table lit with a dull overhead green light. He shrouded himself in a black leather jacket and long brown hair that covered his ears and neck, but curled at the bottom despite being straight everywhere else. His eyes were cast down at his pale blue drink, reflecting the apathy of his eyes. Whatever hand life had tossed him, it gave him nothing to smile about tonight. That is, not until later. The club wasn't particularly filled, but a few people were seated around it's various tables and stools. The music hummed and thumped in the background, drowning out muttered conversation.

Lindsay was having a bad night, due to the lack of entertainment in the town. She approached a new local club she'd never heard of, walking inside, unaware of what to expect. She was nervous, considering she was by herself. She shyly looked around, pushing one side of her long dark hair behind her left ear. The inside of the club was dark and loud, and Lindsay made her way to the middle of the crowd, careful not to accidentally bump anyone. She tugged on the bottom of her black top and decided to take an empty seat at a small, dimly lit table.

Nicolas looked up at the new scenery that walked right to the table across from his. She wasn't a bad sight for sore eyes, and his eyes were sore from the irritation called seduction. This girl was different, from the way she shyly moved about the room and played with her hair, Nicolas new she was different. He didn't make his move first though, he'd have to take it slow. He stood up from the corner table and left the drink behind. He then moved to the bar, casually glancing at her with one of those comfortable smiles. The kind that don't say much but imply everything. When he got to the bar he asked if she was new, and the bartender only agreed. With a new broad in the room, he would have to move quick before she was snapped up by the crowd.

Nicolas saw another guy move towards her table, and in the overcast of music he began to head him off. Casually hip checking him into the across booth, he leaned over the girl's table like nothing had happened. "Excuse me, I see you haven't gotten a drink yet. Care for something interesting with an interesting date?" Nicolas said slyly, making sure only to lean not so much as past the table edge opposite to her. Distance was important when marking up a shot.

Lindsay saw a new face from a distance. She made eye contact for a brief moment then turned away. Moments later, she was startled by the same man who was now leaning over her table. Lindsay quickly looked up. Was he talking to me? She smiled a small smile, unsure of how to reply to him. She looked down at her lap, then back up at him. "I'm Lindsay." she said, glancing at his dark eyes, and couldn't help but smile. She untucked her hair from behind her ear and motioned for him to sit. She liked how he confidently moved, making her hold back a smile once again.

"Lindsay?" Nicolas repeated. And that voice; that voice had a certain sound to it. Nicolas knew it was a sign. He was in for a whole lot of luck, or a whole lot of trouble.

"My name is Nicolas. I'm a regular here, but you look like a fresh face. Tell me about yourself." He said cooly, moving down into the chair across from hers. The man behind him was still getting up from the way he was crashed into the booth and hit his head. The poor fool probably didn't know what had happened to him. Nicolas wasn't concerned though. He was about to share a drink called destiny.

Nicolas's eyes were a light green, and they gazed directly at Lindsay. His broad shoulders seemed to span the length of the table as he relaxed, the tight leather jacket stretching to accommodate his body. He knew Lindsay was nervous. That would only make the chase more exciting. As the girl would reply Nicolas made a quick scan of the other tables, looking for other threats to his conquest.

Lindsay looked over Nicolas' shoulder at the man getting out of the booth. She smirked and looked back at him, admiring his green eyes, then shyly turned away. "Yes, I've never been here before. I only come to Providence every so often." She replied, slowly getting less anxious. Her dark brown eyes were fixed on his long, well-groomed hair, and she spoke again "Where are you from?" she asked, slightly tilting her head to the side.

He seemed different than most guys she had known in the past, although she'd known Nicolas for only a short time. But thus far, this night has gotten better already.

A melodious tremor lightly rocked the small bar table, only a few stools down demanded attention to the bar tender in the manner that teetered on rudeness. Though, it was irrevocable that none could remain in scorn with the contagious smile spread between his lips. The man was in his twenties and bordered the older shade of guests tonight in the club within his age group. His eyes were rich almonds like the most fertile soil uprooted in spring before planting. "Bartender! Share me a drink of lonliness, it's better than drinking alone! Maybe you can turn the beer in to a microphone and keep those smiles from running away!" He loosely credited his line to the classic song of Billy Joel's Piano Man. Though his style was a shade out of age, he decided maybe it would have hit the retro status. Once it hits there, it's golden.

As he waited for his drink and prayed he wouldn't be thrown out for ludicrous behavior, the man by the eccentric name of Malachai gazed across the sea of people. He always did love to people watch and he was always on the hunt to fill the empty feeling clanking at the bottom of his atrium.

The lyrics of an old song carried over to Nicolas's ear. Billy Joel was a favorite of the radio you see, and it had been played many a time in his office down town. The man at the counter distracted his attention from Lindsay for a moment, and he turned his body to face the bar.

"I'm from nowhere in particular... Been in Providence since I could walk." He answered Lindsay, as he casually pointed to the bar. "There's something strange though. What do you say if we mosey on over there for a drink. And see what's this guy is all about." Nicolas suggested, giving Lindsay an encouraging tilt of his head towards the bar stools. He stood up then and turned his eyes to the crowd, staying by Lindsay's side as he lead her to the bar.

"Evening." He muttered to anyone who picked it up when he reached the bar. His eyes remained level at the back of the bar now, gazing over the brands and names of different alcohol he's seen many times before.

Lindsay nodded and smiled "Sure." She replied and accompanied Nicolas to the bar. Lindsay turned around, realizing that there was a depleting amount of people, which seemed very unusual at a time such as this. She took a seat next to Nicolas and glanced at the man a few seats away. Her eyes wandered around the club, bright fluorescent lights streaming down in her brown eyes, making her squint and look back at the bartender.

Malachai cocked an eyebrow when a faint welcoming cheer was whispered to no one in particular. He wasn't here to simply waste away his life, there were so many opportunities wasted by conforming to social boundaries that made very little sense in retrospect. Yet everyone seemed to be chained to them. Relinquishing his seat, his feet hit the ground and he brushed off his clean jeans to scare away the wrinkles. Peering in the direction of the voice, the man ignored his request to the bartender and instead went for a more enticing conversation. "Hello friend, do you know what'll quench your thirst tonight? A little buzz to relax or a jolt to wake you up?" He began to talk to Nicholas as though they knew each other for quite some time but never before in this little town the two men had crossed paths. This odd man seemed to radiate the 'strangers are only uninorduced friends' topic.