K Mitsuhide

Ninjutsu Dojo Dilemma

SO, I'm trying to decide between two different Ninjutsu dojo(s) to study at.

For those of you who do not know what the basic principles of the martial art Ninjutsu (otherwise known as Ninpō) are:

Ninjutsu uses strikes and kicks to kyusho (pressure points) while setting up for joint locks, immobilizations, or throws. Ninjutsu uses principles of leverage, angling, and physics, instead of brute force. There are many problems with "brute force" because there will always be someone bigger or stronger out there. In order to subdue an attacker larger than oneself, he or she will have to use the principles of leverage, angling, natural body mechanics, and pain points.

Option 1: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

"Bujinkan Budō Taijutsu practice doesn't include participation in competitions or contests, as the school's training aims to develop the skills to protect ones self and others, through the use of techniques which often focus on the disabling (breaking) of the attacker's limbs and which can also potentially cause their death.

The Bujinkan does not adhere to any guideline or set of rules to limit action or techniques during training, as such many of the staple responses of a student would be inappropriate in most competitions. Specifically however, the Bujinkan is mostly known for teaching koshi jutsu (joint manipulation art), koppo jutsu (bone manipulation art), jutai jutsu (throwing, grappling, ground fighting), dakentai jutsu (strikes), happo biken jutsu (various modern and traditional weapons), and ninpo tactics and strategies (Ninjutsu). The depth of training in the Bujinkan, is designed to open the eyes of the student to the endless possibilities and potential in all situations."

Option 2: Genbukan Ninpō Bugei

"The Genbukan Ninpo Bugei is divided in 36 categories called the "Ninja Sanjurokkei" focusing on taijutsu, bikenjutsu and Seishinteki Kyoyo. Other topics of study may include bōjutsu, yumi, naginata, yari, jutte, kusari-gama, shuriken etc."

"The curriculum in the Genbukan is centered on the teaching of the Ninpo Sanjurokkei (36 areas of training) that consists of 18 forms of traditional Japanese martial arts (Bugei Juhappan) in combination with the 18 forms of Ninpo (Ninja Juhakei).

The Genbukan Ninpo Bugei is not limited to one style (ryu), but rather includes many historical ryu in its teachings. Among these are: Togakure ryu, Kumogakure ryu, Kukishin ryu, Gyokko ryu, Koto ryu, Gyokushin ryu, and many others."

SO, I have a bit of experience with Ten Chi Jin Genbukan, but for those of you who perhaps have more experience in these fields, what are your thoughts?

You should go for the Bujinkan. Never did it but seen it before. Practical... very brutal.

Genbukan, never did it, read about it before but never really seen it. Seems too jumbled up. Too many things trying to teach and learn. Just my opinion.

If I had to choose, I'd go Bujinkan.

But for me, the only way I'd learn it is if I went to Virginia to learn from Shawn Lewis or NY to learn from Shihan Karim. lol