Rhap Sodos

Light Techniqes; I

nRnxUTa.png

Beacon of Hope | 希望の標 | Kibou no Shirube
Type: Ninjutsu | Light | Set-Up Phase | Sennin
Cost: 2% Total Chakra Activation, 1% Total Chakra Upkeep 
Damage: Ø
Effect: While this technique is active, all healing done by the passive effect of "Combinatorial: Light" is transferred from the User to another target Character. This technique ignores the turn duration cap for Ninjutsu. 

Restrictions: This technique may only be used once per battle. 

Description: A small sigil of glowing charka that adorns the recipients forehead, signifying the transfer of power from one person to another. The symbol faintly resembles an archaic glyph for "hope". 

Requirement: First Aid Provider

JP: 6

Beacon of Immortality | 不死の標 | Fushi no Shirube
Type: Ninjutsu | Light | Set-Up Phase | Sennin
Cost: 2% Total Chakra Activation, 1% Total Chakra Upkeep
Damage: Ø
Effect: While this technique is active, target Character is considered to have the skill "Second Wind". If "Second Wind" triggers on target Character, it's considered as the once per battle use for the User (User can no longer benefit from Second Wind) - it does count as being used for the Target if they have the skill independent of this technique. This technique ignores the turn duration cap for Ninjutsu. 

Restrictions: This technique may only be used once per battle. 

Description: A small sigil of glowing charka that adorns the recipients forehead, signifying the transfer of power from one person to another.  The symbol faintly resembles an archaic glyph for "immortal".
Requirements: Second Wind

JP: 6

Edited by Rhap Sodos

I don't agree with the cooldown or fail chance for these specific techniques, but they do all need the "once per battle" clause on them as is a requirement of Setup Phase jutsu. I don't think a cooldown or fail chance should be the default for Setup Phase jutsu (and the main site rules don't mention them) but they are important tools that we should use for anything that would be bad if spammed. I don't think doing multiple of these types of effects would be very bad for the game health.

As for the techniques themselves...

General (All 3)

• Did you intend for these to last the normal 4 turns for Ninjutsu? As worded it kind of seems like its assumed that they last beyond that, but as written since it doesn't say it breaks that rule it is capped at 4. I am assuming 4 turn cap unless otherwise stated.

• I assume these are all at least Jounin. I don't know if I would approve any of these at Chuunin or lower (maybe the last one without my suggestion). 

Beacon of Hope | 希望の標 | Kibou no Shirube
This is very close to a medical jutsu. Maybe as a one time use per battle ability it is fight since you're transferring something we already give for light and not adding to it in any way, but it's very very borderline. This should be Sennin if we allow it as a non-medical technique at all.

Beacon of Immortality | 不死の標 | Fushi no Shirube
I am more okay with this not being medical since it requires and burns the user's SP. I think that a medical user could do this but better, without the need for SP (maybe) and even not as a preemptive move, but as a reactive move to "pick up" an downed ally. I think the fact that this needs to be preemptive and it requires SP investment that this is okay as a Light technique. This should be Sennin rank.

Beacon of Triumph | 凱旋の標 | Gaisen no Shirube

This one actually seems pretty weak to me. I think this could be much more interesting if you gave 5% of your total Accuracy to an ally while suffering -5% to your total Accuracy instead. Then this will scale as you level up, being as effective as written at 1000 Accuracy and getting better as you level. This could be Jounin rank.

Herp Derp. Knew I was forgetting something/s... 

• Added Ranks to all three, based on Cntr's feedback. 
  • Added JP costs to all three. Shooting in the dark a bit because they don't have a CP "cost", but I figured 6 was a good number... ? 
  • Added the Restriction that they can only be used once per battle. 
  • Clarified that the technique ignores turn duration caps. It's meant to be on and stay on until deactivated. 

blame tony

Honestly, this is really intriguing. With the upkeep, themed effects, and duration it kind of feels like a miniature support-based advanced system in the form of a jutsu set, but it's only using stuff you've already paid for with SP, so that doesn't bother me too much. Also, my apologies in advance for the sheer weight of the text with beacon of hope here. It's actually a surprisingly complex ability.

For the sake of the examples below, I'm progressing under the assumption that whoever's using this has somewhere between 1500 and 2000 chakra (so they'd be paying 15-20 per turn for these) I have no idea how close this is to standard for a Sennin-level character, but it seems fairly reasonable?

@Beacon of Hope

So, I'm not sure if this was a misunderstanding on my part or of yours, but this basically lasts for as long as you upkeep it and continues healing someone whenever you use Light the whole time? My understanding was that Cntr's request that this only apply healing once, since it's not a medical technique, and not just something that can only be set up once but keeps on healing for as long as you like. I may be mistaken here. Either way, assuming a Sennin rank user with, say, 1200 ninjutsu using a relatively modest 400 base damage jutsu, this is healing someone for 70+ (This would be more if they had skills or items increasing their damage or the potency of light's healing) every time you use a Light jutsu, forever.

As the cost of the healing is already addressed by Combinatorial; Light, it comes down to how valuable it is giving this to someone else without being a medic. Luckily, we have an example of something that lets characters without Path of the Medic to use healing on other people - First Aid Provider, which is just 1sp. How valuable is 1sp in terms of JP? I... don't know. Should you be forced to take that skill just for this one jutsu? No, that's silly.  Is any instance of this ability activating likely to be a big deal by itself? Most likely not. Would this happening five or six times be a big deal? Yes. A conservative 350+ healing for 150 chakra over 10 turns with a stalling oriented strategy is actually quite substantial, especially if someone with much higher defense is intercepting attacks, which is the most obvious application for this (combined with the below jutsu). When the numbers on both stats and jutsu quality go up, it scales really sharply. If you're bopping out 2000 damage light balefires backed with 2k ninjutsu, it's healing someone for 250+ on top of killing someone dead and being effectively impossible to RPJ (hello 1300+ cost RPJs), which is honestly horrifying.

My suggestion would be a cap on either

1) How many times it can heal someone before being forcibly ended. If I read Cntr's suggestion correctly, this would be 1. If not, it's probably open for discussion.

2) How much total health it can heal someone for before being ended.

My personal preference would be to direct towards #2, as the value is very easy to calculate and doesn't punish you for using cheaper jutsu if you like, while also preventing basically full healing someone while nuking an opponent into the ground at the same time.

The current 6JP (up to 270 CP at Jonin) with Jonin healing ratios (4:5) = ~340 HP (337.5 but whatever) might(?) be a bit much. If you lowered the JP cost to 4, you'd be at around 170 CP for up to 212.5 (215?) healing or 5JP (200 CP, up to 275 healing), it's a lot more manageable.

[I'll leave the number discretion to someone more experienced, it might be fine. Not going to hold this up over that.]

@Beacon of Immortality

I think this is really neat. I do have a question, though! If Second Wind is activated, it's counted as activating for the user. Does it also count as having activated for the target? For example, if you used this on someone who already had Second Wind, would they be able to use Second Wind twice? I don't think this is something that should be able to be done easily, especially when the above ability can allow you to heal them back up and negate the risks of Second Wind at low health. It also kinds of steps into Earth Grudge Fear territory if it does that, so, uh... ask Cntr.

If that wasn't your intention, carry on.

@Beacon of Triumph

I... actually disagree that this should be based off a percentage of your accuracy. I could go into detail on why I think percentages in general are quite delicate to play with, but I won't bore you with that unless you really want. 

At 1000 accuracy, as Cntr mentioned, this would be giving 50 accuracy for 15 chakra. At 2000 accuracy, it would be 100. That would make this both relatively ineffective and under priced at both levels. 100 accuracy would normally cost 66/67 chakra, even accounting for getting half of it's CP value back because you're also losing accuracy, it's still 33-34 chakra of value for what is unlikely to be more than 15-20 chakra. I agree that this is cool and deserves to not be useless, but I don't think a percentage is the way to do it.

My question, then, is what is your goal with this technique? Do you want this to be a really cheap thing that offers a very minor effect, or an influential one with a higher cost?

Edited by Yurane

Beacon of Hope

I have no qualms about First Aid Provider being a requirement for this technique because... well... Izzy already has that skill. As for the potential Healing, a couple things to keep in mind. When it comes to the output, it's doing the same amount of Healing I would be doing to myself, just on a different character. If you think that's potentially to high, that's an issue with Light as a skill (since this technique doesn't increase or modify it). It's also not tagged as a Medical Jutsu, so any Skills that would increase "medical jutsu" would not apply. And finally, I can only benefit from the Light passive every other turn (even if I'm using an 'Eclipse' technique). I cannot consistently heal myself (or another person) with Light because of the every other turn restriction on the element itself. 

Beacon Of Immortality 

Clarified that it's intended to be considered as Used for the Character, and not the Target, and that if the Target has the skill independently it's not considered as trigger. As for it being hard to get, well, both myself and the target would have had to expend -2SP each for that scenario to arise. And I'm giving someone else my Second Wind, and my Healing via Light, eventually my ass is going to get kicked and I won't be able to bounce back from it. 

Beacon of Triumph

Cut for now. It was the one  I was least excited about and after some feedback probably need to go back to the drawing board with it.