Cellar Door

Kōton | Steel Release | 鋼遁

HjO0N5d.gif

Kōton | Steel Release | 鋼遁

4OHZVHZ.png Kōton | Steel Release | 鋼遁
Description: Kōton, or Steel Release is a kekkei genkai that has been possessed by several clans and villages over the course of history. The bloodline itself is a combination of the earth and fire chakra affinities, with a proportionately larger amount of earth-type chakra than fire. The resulting chakra nature is capable of producing quantities of iron and steel from one’s body or manipulating it from nearby sources.

The village of Ishigakure was known for many years as the only shinobi village to possess Steel Release until it was stolen by a rogue shinobi of Konohagakure. In the intervening years the kekkei genkai seemed to spring up in several isolated incidents around the world, and in one or two cases, the bloodline became a clan-wide blood limit, most notably among the Kurogane clan of Kusagakure.

The Kōton blood limit is a powerful elemental kekkei genkai which is a powerful offensive and defensive boon to its wielders. The extremely hard and sharp weapons produced through this bloodline are capable of cutting swathes of devastation and that same hardness allows for shields and barriers of supreme strength and durability to be created, making Steel Release both an incredible weapon and a near impenetrable defense.

QDJ3V5X.png?1

Kōton
The Kōton kekkei genkai is the naturally occurring genetic sequences that produce the Steel Release advanced chakra nature without the need for extended training in the realm of chakra manipulation. Through the inheritance of this kekkei genkai a wielder of the bloodline is capable of producing and manipulating raw or forged metals, most commonly steel and iron. Inheritors of this bloodline are able to produce steel from their body or they can vastly increase the amount they are capable of creating by drawing on natural metals in the earth.

Restrictions: Ranks of the following skills may be purchased once every 20 levels.

Kōton Affinity - Rank One 
Effect: Characters with this skill gain the skill ‘Combinatorial; Steel’ for 0 Skill Points. When purchased at character creation, the skill 'Combinatorial; Steel' replaces their village, bonus skill. When purchasing the skill ‘Ninjutsu Mastery; Steel’, characters with this skill may purchase 2 ranks for 1 Skill Point.
Description: Those born with a natural affinity for steel release have a much higher degree of control than those ninja who are forced to manually master the element. It is almost impossible for those steel users to match the abilities of a shinobi born with the Kōton kekkei genkai. 
Cost: -1

Kōton Sharpening - Rank [ - ]
Effect: When a character with this skill applies the effects of the skill ‘Subtle Elements; Fire’ to a technique of the ‘Steel’ element, the effects of ‘Subtle Elements; Fire’ are increased by +2.5% per rank in this skill (rounded up).  Techniques augmented by this skill may only use ‘Subtle Elements; Fire’ to afflict the status effect ‘Bleeding’. Additionally, once per battle, a character with this skill may choose to increase the damage of an attack of the 'Steel' element by +8x% of its total, with 'x' being equivalent to their rank in this skill.
Description: When a ninja who possesses the Kōton bloodline turns their bloodline into a weapon, they are capable of producing weapons of preeminent sharpness. The finely honed edges of their weapons, and the sharp shards of their attacks rend both flesh and armor, making them terrors on the battlefield. Some of the more powerful wielders are even capable of turning their own limbs into powerful weapons that can slice an unwary foe in half.
Maximum Ranks: 4

Kōton Tempering - Rank [ - ]
Effect: When a character with this skill applies the effects of the skill ‘Subtle Elements; Earth’ to a technique of the ‘Steel’ element, the effects of ‘Subtle Elements; Earth’ are increased by +3 per rank in this skill. Additionally, once per battle per 2 ranks in this skill, a character with this skill may choose to create a Shield of the ‘Steel’ element with xy Health (with ‘x’ being equivalent to the character’s rank in this skill, and ‘y’ being equivalent to the character’s level) as a Setup Phase action. Shields created in this way may target any ally chosen by the creator.
Description: Though steel release makes an effective offensive weapon, it truly shines as a defense. As an element that is created from earth release, steel is an extremely durable element. Wielders of the Kōton bloodline are able to easily produce metals that are incredibly durable, and when used to create armor and barriers, these shinobi become nearly impervious to physical damage from lesser elements.

Kōton Crucible - Rank [ - ]
Effect: For each piece of armor created by a technique of the ‘Steel’ element currently equipped by a character with this skill, increase their Defense and Evasion statistics by +40x, with ‘x’ being equivalent to the character’s rank in this skill. Bonuses granted by this skill may never exceed a total 160x. 
Description: Those who make use of steel-natured chakra are at their strongest when coating their bodies in the thick, durable metal created by their jutsu, and those who possess the Steel Release bloodline are no exception. In fact, the armor that they naturally generate during battle is extremely dense and hard, making them even more difficult to damage while they are encased in their steel armors.
Cost: -2

This seems fine. I'm not familiar with the 'element' bloodlines anymore, is it normal for an intro skill to give access to a tier 1 combinatorial for free as well as get the Ninjutsu Mastery 2 for 1 as well for -1 SP? I assume we've done this before, I would just like a comparison if you have one.

Kōton Sharpening

This seems to be a bit much. -4 SP for +10% total damage in bleeding and two uses of Strategist for Steel jutsu. Rank 4 of Haro Kouka has a comparable ability that costs -4 SP on its own for one use (two if you miss), and Strategist requires -3 SP and only has a possible one use. I feel like the +10% total damage in bleeding is probably about a -3 or -3.5 SP as it is very comparable to Shiva but with no downsides. +10% total is usually pretty close to +20% base, though at some ranks one overtakes the other, though it gets knocked a point or two for being Bleed damage which is slower- otherwise I would probably put it at -4 alone. I would maybe break the strategist thing out into its own skill or swap it for something else.

Kōton Tempering

Same as sharpening, I think this is a bit too much. The comparison is again a main site ability but this one is from a specialized build path- Guard Expertise. The obvious difference is that you have to use a Steel technique rather than a passive bonus, but the cost is the same in the end. I would feel a lot more comfortable with this if it was +2 Block range per rank since I think the rider effect of the shield is a good round off to make this worth the full 4 SP.

I do like how you have to choose Sharpening or Tempering when using Steel jutsu. Both are potent, but the rider effects are available no matter which one you are choosing which also helps round out this kit.

Kōton Crucible

-4 SP to get +320 stats every time you use a Steel jutsu? whistles. The armor from Steel is balanced because it is based on the cost of the jutsu, but there is nothing stopping a player from using a Free Action Steel jutsu 20 times in a turn. This needs a once per turn limitation for sure, but even then it is a bit much since the armor does not go away until you hit it and its broken, and gaining Defense and Evasion directly helps keep the armor around longer. So turn 1 steal clones, +320 stats. Turn 2 attack, +640 stats. You're already at half an advanced system. If you dodge the first attack that comes at you (likely because you have +320 Evasion now) you get +960, then 1280. So by turn 4 you have more bonus stats than a lot of Advanced Systems, god forbid you build around this and take skills like Knowing the Elements and such to keep yourself from getting hit for the first 3-4 turns of the battle. 

Affinity: Yeah, that's pretty much the standard. Scorch, Magnet, Storm, Wood. They all have this effect basically verbatim.

Sharpening: A very important thing to note, with Sharpening and Tempering is that these are not passive bonuses to techniques. A technique cannot get the benefit of Sharpening and Tempering at the same time under normal conditions. The activated part of the skill may very well be something that needs toned down. I was building this pretty late at night and I admit, two infallible crits is pretty strong. However, there are a lot of examples of stronger passive effects that enhance Burn/Bleed/Poison, and aren't the core of a bloodline. The Uchiha who already have an excellent bloodline can get up to +60 damage to every fire attack at Sennin for -2, which is equivalent to throwing an additional 1200 damage with no additional chakra cost to the technique. The Hanamajo do a similar thing with Poison, granted they don't have a special bloodline.

So, I think really what we need to haggle over is the activated effect, and what that should cost. I personally don't see the bonus to fire that they'll be getting roughly half the time they use a technique to be more than -2 when other stuff exists that is of equal potency for that price. If you have any ideas that might be better than a critical strike I'd be all ears. I can also up the cost. Maybe -1, -1, -2, -2 for ranks?

Tempering: As I said with Sharpening, this is not a passive benefit. It only happens when I specifically use the benefit from Earth release. This also comes with the skill tax of needing to have Subtle Elements Earth. (I forgot to mention that above.) I also neglected to mention that bloodlines like this are much easier to counterplay than a totally passive, or advanced system bloodline. This is what I call a Triggered Bloodline, because all of its effects are only gained when you are able to use your techniques. Getting this block range is good. It's really strong. But it's only a bonus for 1 turn, and I have to use another Steel technique. If I'm quarantined, or stunned, or bound arms, or maybe even clobbered, I could be without all the benefits of my bloodline for a good number of turns. 

Unlike the Byakugan which applies a direct bonus to Critical Hit chance (which is in my mind fairly similar to block range price-wise) as long as the bloodline is active, this one can be directly counterplayed in ways that are available on the main site, which I believe makes it much, much less potent. While Sharpening is one that I could see the price easily going up on because of how powerful a confirmed critical is, this one I don't see being necessary. Not when the benefit is only available if you're not using another portion of your bloodline, and when it can be so easily taken away.

Crucible: I feel like I may have forgotten to put a cap on the amount of times that can have a bonus applied. But also keep in mind, regardless of how big your stack gets, if you get hit once all of the armor all of the armor falls off and you have to start over. So, it's a good effect to have mid-battle and the Eva boost does make it harder to get your armor busted, but it seems to me like it would be hard to turtle behind this skill when a cheap AoE can peel you out of every piece all at once.

On 8/6/2017 at 11:35 AM, cntrstrk14 said:

This seems fine. I'm not familiar with the 'element' bloodlines anymore, is it normal for an intro skill to give access to a tier 1 combinatorial for free as well as get the Ninjutsu Mastery 2 for 1 as well for -1 SP? I assume we've done this before, I would just like a comparison if you have one.

This is now standard for Elemental Bloodlines. I am okay with this - APPROVED

Kōton Sharpening

This seems to be a bit much. -4 SP for +10% total damage in bleeding and two uses of Strategist for Steel jutsu. Rank 4 of Haro Kouka has a comparable ability that costs -4 SP on its own for one use (two if you miss), and Strategist requires -3 SP and only has a possible one use. I feel like the +10% total damage in bleeding is probably about a -3 or -3.5 SP as it is very comparable to Shiva but with no downsides. +10% total is usually pretty close to +20% base, though at some ranks one overtakes the other, though it gets knocked a point or two for being Bleed damage which is slower- otherwise I would probably put it at -4 alone. I would maybe break the strategist thing out into its own skill or swap it for something else.

I feel like there are counters to bleeding and burning now. Not to mention they can be healed out right by a variety of sources. That being said this is 10% additional damage which alone is worth -2 in my book (due to it being treatable). Regarding use of 2 strategist I do agree that this needs to be nixed, or at minimum have some heavy editing/ downside to it. Someone with 'Path of the Elementalist' could very well use this and Tempering each turn. This would require a heavy path and skill investment however (-10 total) so I wouldn't be as objecting. Most will likely use this or the other. 

Kōton Tempering

Same as sharpening, I think this is a bit too much. The comparison is again a main site ability but this one is from a specialized build path- Guard Expertise. The obvious difference is that you have to use a Steel technique rather than a passive bonus, but the cost is the same in the end. I would feel a lot more comfortable with this if it was +2 Block range per rank since I think the rider effect of the shield is a good round off to make this worth the full 4 SP.

I do like how you have to choose Sharpening or Tempering when using Steel jutsu. Both are potent, but the rider effects are available no matter which one you are choosing which also helps round out this kit.

Torn on this one mainly due to stacking ability. This would give +15, then if your character is a defender they get another +15, plus the +8 from earth, and then the base 5 block range. So stacking potential leads up to 43 Block range just from main site and this. That's insane haha. That being said this is a heavy investment of points to get this far. I just think this may be a little too powerful.  

Kōton Crucible

I think this bonus needs a limitation in place. I do not like stacking ability at all for this. Two steel jutsu in one turn already make it damn near impossible to hit someone at higher levels. I'd be okay if this solely increased defense however as it goes more with the flavor of the bloodline IMO. 

Sharpening: Toned back the activated effect of this. It's now a +25% increase, so it's like a demi-crit. If anyone has a better idea for a damage-dealing buff, I wouldn't be against hearing some ideas.

Tempering: 40% is the max that can be reached for a block bonus, and that is a considerable investment. It also entirely depends on if this benefit is considered to be a passive bonus or a triggered one. If not the maximum stack allowable is much smaller.

Crucible: Like I said, if you take damage. Any at all. Your armors from this all break and you have to start over. That being said, I limited it to 4 possible pieces of armor that can have this bonus at a time. So 1280 is the maximum amount of stats you can gain, which is lower than Sharingan, Byakugan, and the other top tier stat bonus granting bloodlines. And as far as your concerns regarding evasion, it's an Armor Class thing. Just makes you harder to hit because you're covered in steel.

Path of the Elementalist - This is an intended interaction. Path of the Elementalist doesn't get much in the way of strong shit, and elemental bloodlines are very often lackluster in comparison to other stuff. When used in combination Elementalist and an elemental bloodline become a more interesting canned combo. That being said, Stunned and Quarantine and Clobbered are all very potent ways to combat bloodlines of this nature, and they're available to everyone.

I think I am actually good on all of these. I was confused on Steel's Effect at first, but now see if someone were to use an AOE it would wipe out this persons bonus. That being said we run into the risk of someone getting 1280 stat boost within the first two turns at no substantial cost or upkeep. Let's get @cntrstrk14 opinion again before I app. Thanks!

Kōton Sharpening
This is now like a "half strategist" at first glance... except now that it is not an actual "critical" it can stack with either the normal strategist or can naturally critical. So even though the effect bonus technically went down this ability still has a LOT of potency. How about instead of twice per battle its once per battle but increases total damage by like 8% per rank? so you get up to +32% damage but only once? But even that feels strong. Strategist is once per battle and -3 SP, and this can potentially stack with this and blow it out of the water. Maybe the better idea is to adjust the costing as you suggested earlier to -1, -1, -2, -2?

Kōton Tempering - Rank [ - ]
While you're right that there is counter-play, its a pretty low bar when the requirement is "use any Steel jutsu". A single low cost Seal-less Steel jutsu in your arsenal negates clobbered and bound arms from stopping you. And a setup phase or response phase jutsu gets around stunned as well. It's pretty easy to sidestep all of them if you build for it in mind (you probably will since you're taking the bloodline and all in on the idea). The only one you can't really get around is Quarantine. So with that all said my last points still bother me. +12 to block range for -4 SP (same rate as path of the defenders) while also getting a pretty large activated effect option (480 HP Shield twice per battle at max level is a lot of bonus Health) I gotta demand more cost or less effect. That said, maybe mirroring the above and doing a -1, -1, -2, -2?

Kōton Crucible - Rank [ - ]
I like this version a lot more, but I am still worried about how quickly a player could build this up. Just the existance of free action jutsu puts me on edge. With a free action jutsu in the setup and main phase a player could get 4 pieces of steel armor up and going in a single turn. That said, most free action jutsu come with downsides, limits, and sometimes cooldowns so maybe thats not a problem? The question then is -1 SP for +80 stats okay? Probably yeah. I think we can approve this as is even if I am a little worried about it. 

THAT SAID, you can word this a lot better. You don't need to have the stat bonus be attached to the actual armor, which would get around having that awkward line "The effects of this skill are not treated as a passive item bonus." Here is my crack at it...

Effect: For each piece of armor created by a technique of the ‘Steel’ element currently equipped, increase this character's Defense and Evasion statistics by +40x, with ‘x’ being equivalent to the character’s rank in this skill. This bonus is only gained for up to four (4) pieces of armor. 

Okay, I made the edits to this.

Rather than going 1/1/2/2 on both of the upper tiers, I opted to just make Sharpening -2 across the board. I know it's not what you wanted exactly, but you've mentioned before that bloodlines have the luxury of being able to up costs in some places to lower them in others. (Really... this is all just about my anal retentive nature and not wanting to have to say "Cost: -1 (ranks 1 & 2) and -2 (ranks 3 & 4)" anywhere on my thing.

How about...

Cost: -1, -1, -2, -2

Moving all the cost to one and not the other in this case bothers me because a player can very reasonably only take one of these and never choose the other subtle element. Since these are not stacking abilities the shifting of cost around doesn't work as well as it does in other places like Sharingan where players need to front load some cost to get -0 SP skills on the back end.