Hardcore Skittlez

Enton: Honoikazuchi | Blaze Release: Fire Lightning

t4l6qCs.gif

Enton: Honoikazuchi | 炎遁・火雷 | Blaze Release: Fire Lightning
Type: Ninjutsu [ Blaze | Dōjutsu; Mangekyō Sharingan | Hijutsu; Uchiha | Set Trap ]
Cost: 320 Chakra
Effect: When calculating this technique’s Set Trap bonus to-hit chance, ‘x’ is instead treated as the number of strikes the user of this technique has successfully dodged from opponents since this technique’s usage. If the user is successfully struck by an opponent's attack, this technique no longer increases the value of 'x' and automatically triggers during their next Main Phase. If this technique is triggered by an opponent’s attack, that and any opponents who successfully struck the user on the same turn, become the new target of this technique. Targets of this technique are afflicted with ‘Burning: 200/y’ for three (3) turns, wherein ‘y’ is equal to the number of this technique’s targets. 'Burning' afflicted by this technique is treated as though it was caused by 'Amaterasu'.
Description: A most devious application of the Uchiha’s Blaze Release techniques, Enton: Honoikazuchi is a technique wherein the user imbues themselves with an unseen layer of Amaterasu’s Black Flames. As they nimbly maneuver away from enemy’s attacks, Honoikazuchi siphons small amounts of chakra from aggressors to increase its own potency. Then, if not willingly unleashed beforehand, Enton: Honoikazuchi unleashes its stored flames in the form of piercing spikes against any who are unfortunate enough to land a successful blow against its user.
JP: 6

Edited by Hardcore Skittlez

From a flavor standpoint this makes some very weird assumptions. Making a fire porcupine around you would not do anything to a person who hit you with a ranged jutsu, which is a considerable portion of the game. A regular Amaterasu ninja doesn't have Bansho Tenin to telekinetically pull their foe into the porcupine. Just seems weird that I could throw shuriken at you and suddenly am stab. 

The effect is definitely innovative, but it doesn't seem to encapsulate the flavor as well as it could. Might just be better as a damage-back response phase move or something, y'know what I mean?

I wasn't intending the flavor side of this to like... suggest that people got pulled in to get hit by it. What I was attempting to convey was that even if it was a ranged attack, the "shield" would trigger and just shoot one long lance at that person. It's not identical to Sasuke's usage of it, but I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of flavor in exchange for something more universally useful.

That kind of bridges into your second point: I had considered making this a damage-dealing RPJ, but the precedent that sets leaves a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I'm fond of the effect I came up with here, 'cause I feel it's a pretty good interpretation of the technique does while also still having a little more utility to it. I'd like to work with what I've got for now and see where that takes us.

I mean, if it's what you're really after, I don't have any real issues with it. A lot of what's happening in the technique seems like it would be more of a hindrance than a bonus. Um, the only issue I do have is that this can trigger on Genjutu... and that one does seem weird, especially since a lot of genjutsu happen and you don't know that you've been hit by them. 

Just a few wording update suggestions. Overall I think this is a fine effect balance wise. You potentially can gain Set Trap stacks faster, but you also don't have control over how high it gets.

‘x’ is instead treated as the number of strikes the user of this technique has successfully dodged from opponents

Just to prevent some weird cheesing where you dodge your own 20 strike attack. 

If the user is successfully struck by an attack, this technique automatically triggers in the Main Phase of that turn; if the user would not have a Main Phase during that turn, it instead triggers on the following turn but no longer increases the value of ‘x’ until that time. 

I would change this whole section to be something like...

If the user is successfully struck by an attack, this technique stops gaining value to 'x' and automatically triggers in their next Main Phase.

My final thoughts: Are there any things that interact with "Amaterasu" fire that we need to be concerned about? This afflicts "Amaterasu" fire, but doesn't have the negative of being within the "10 uses going blind" mechanic that Amaterasu has. I am wondering if this could be unbalancing because of that.

@cntrstrk14

Wording updated to mostly read as you suggested, just minor phrasing tweaks for personal reading preference.

I believe you and KC spoke about this in discord, but the primary purpose of the "Amaterasu" fire effect is that it allows these instances to fulfill Enton: Kagustuchi's conditions- linked above. Outside of that, there are no additional interactions that I am aware of.