Celes

Blackness

Blackness

While most yokai manifest a chakra nature or are even composed of the nature's composition, Nurarihyon is an outlier. It is the infinite darkness of the night that he has dominion over as the Nightmarcher, bestowing him with the ability to blacken chakra on a whim whenever he fancies.

Effect: Once per battle, as a free action in any phase, this character may replace all element tags of a single Ninjutsu or Elemental Genjutsu they use this turn with ‘Dark’.

Requirements: Nurarihyon summon

Cost: -2 SP

This is meant to serve as the yokai Nurarihyon's summon Element. Operates largely the same as the yokai's Element skill but usable once.

I'm approving this, but I don't believe that this should be used as precedent for skills of this nature being used in place of Summon Family Elements in the future. Some of my reasons for this are as follows:

• One reason is that the summon in question is originally a Yokai, being used as a summon through this skill. As that skill does not allow the Yokai to use Chakra, buying Dark normally would be a waste of a ton of SP (and that's assuming that we would allow Dark as a Family Element to begin with - we likely would not).
  • The next reason is that his summon currently has a Style that could just as easily be used as a summon element, if the Yokai did not already have an element associated with it. Choosing it as a family element would add fluff discrepancies that don't bother me specifically, but that others - including Celes - do not like.
  • Another reason is that this is limited specifically to the Yokai. A skill that let you swap out an element across a specific subset or in specific circumstances would not bother me, but it would still require actually owning the element or at least its prerequisites, and Dark is an atypically potent element so may face higher restrictions. This is once per battle, improves the summon's pre-existing abilities (it can use something similar while its cloak is active), and cannot be taught to others. I would not approve a skill like this that could be taught to primary characters or to be distributed among future Summon Families.

As you can see, this situation is a rather unique one, and so shouldn't be used as a reason to allow other Summon Families to select a non-element skill in place of their Summon Family Element. If another Summon Family comes about through a situation as unique as this one (so probably just people with Yokai summons) and its creator wants to discuss a skill of this nature, then we will of course consider it, but the average summon does not require this kind of allowance.

@Celes, this is going to cost -1 on the sheet even though it costs -2 here. The reason being that Summon Family elements are basically just 1 free SP spent in a limited manner. I believe I mentioned over Discord that for Tiers higher than 1, we Charge the Tier -1 SP for it to be a family's element? This is similar. And please don't drop the Style, like the second bullet point says, it was a consideration in me approving this. That said, you can replace the Style with another one of the same cost or higher if you want while your guy sits in custom, that wouldn't be an issue.

• Thanks 1