Cellar Door

Tenkingan | Heavenly Golden Eye | 天金眼

lorJC28.gif

dQorPV9.png Tenkingan | Heavenly Golden Eye | 天金眼
The Tenkingan or Heavenly Golden Eye is a bloodline limit that developed in the Tenjin clan from the far away Land of the Sun. It takes the form of a single, golden eye in the center of the wielder's forehead when occurring naturally, though many have stolen the eyes and implanted them where one of their natural eyes had once been. The eye has a relatively small pupil, and a dark halo that forms around the pupil.

It is unknown what the exact confluence of events were that caused the first Tenkingan to form, though some scholars believe it was a mutation of one of the Three Great Dojutsu. Though less powerful than its cousins, the bloodline does possess several unique abilities that distinguish it from them greatly.

Known in some circles as 'The Eye that Pierces the Shadow' the Tenkingan's abilities are capable of doing just that. The eye is capable of acting as a focus for chakra, allowing any wielder who can properly funnel their chakra through it to create light-natured chakra. It is unknown how the Tenkingan performs this function exactly, but the eye shines with a blinding brilliance anytime a wielder performs light release jutsu. Some have hypothesized that years spent under the bright environment of the Sunshine Country mutated the modern Tenkingan.

Skilled Tenkingan users are also capable of using the eyeball as a hidden reservoir for jutsu. By inscribing a technique into the eye during activation, a wielder may store the jutsu and release it as a trap onto their opponent when they least expect it. The most basic ability of the Tenkingan is the sight that it bestows those who inherit it. While activated, they are granted a greater visual acuity, and the ability to distinguish chakra by color. Because of this ability to see chakra the eye is also capable of consciously dispelling illusions. By expending some of their concentration on any illusion, a wielder is able to nullify either a portion or an entirety of the genjutsu.

Tenkingan Activation/Upkeep
• 5% total chakra •

g3a0okx.png

Tenkingan
The Tenkingan occurs naturally in the eyes of the Tenjin clan, and is believed to be something easily accessible by almost all members of the clan. A child born with their third eye open is considered to be marked as a future great leader among the Tenjin. Unlike some other dojutsu, which visibly distinguish the maturity of the eye, Tenkingan grow imperceptibly but some believe they grow in strength in relation to the age of the wielder. The Tenkingan eye enhances wielder's ability to see, and is believed to have a visual acuity equivalent to that of a bird of prey. It also tracks the movement of chakra and is a particularly powerful defense against genjutsu techniques. Powerful users of the Tenkingan are able to use it to generate radiance that can quite literally banish darkness and use the eye as a storage device for jutsu.
Restrictions: Ranks of the following skills may be purchased once every 20 levels. This bloodline may be activated or deactivated as a Setup Phase action. Advanced Regeneration is suspended while this bloodline is active.

Tenkingan Vision - Rank [ - ]
Effect: While the Tenkingan is active, a character with this skill’s Accuracy, and Concentration are increased by x per rank in this skill, with ‘x’ being equivalent to the wielder’s level. The value of ‘x’ may never be less than 'y', where 'y' is equivalent to 20 + 10 for each rank of this skill, beyond the first. All statistical bonuses provided by this skill may not exceed 1.5x the base value of the individual statistics.
Description: Though it is most often hidden behind a vertical eyelid the Tenkingan confers a great boon to the visual acuity of the wielder when it is activated. Those who possess the Tenkingan often equate the visual changes to that of a hawk or eagle. The Tenkingan also grants the ability to see chakra to an extent, giving the wielder the ability to easily distinguish genjutsu techniques.
Total Ranks: 5
Cost: -1

Tenkingan Piercing - Rank [ - ]
Effect: While the Tenkingan is active, a character with this skill may pay x chakra to activate this technique in their Response Phase when targeted by an unresolved Genjutsu technique of their rank or lower, with the value of 'x' being equivalent to (60-5y)% of the base cost of the unresolved technique. That technique is negated. On a turn when this skill is activated, the user has a (100- 5y)% chance to be unable to take any action in their Setup and Main Phases, with the value of 'y' being equivalent to their rank in this skill. This skill may be activated 'x' times per battle, and has a 5% chance to fail when activated.
Description: The Tenkingan gained it's moniker as the 'Eye that Pierces the Shadow' for several reasons, and among them is the ability of the eye to nullify illusions. By marshaling their focus, a Tenkingan wielder may concentrate the Tenkingan on nullifying part or all of an illusion. Though this ability is very powerful, it often leaves the wielder somewhat dazed and can oftentimes cause migraines if overused.
Total Ranks: 4

Tenkingan Radiance - Rank [ - ]
Effect: While the Tenkingan is active, a character with this skill may perform techniques of the ‘Light’ element. The effects of the Light Element are reduced to 20x%, with ‘x’ being equivalent to the character’s rank in this skill. If a character possesses 5 ranks in this skill they may purchase the skill ‘Combinatorial; Light’ for the cost of 0 SP, and while the Tenkingan is active ‘Light’ element techniques may be used consecutively.
Description: The most easily recognizable ability of the Tenkingan is its ability to generate light. It is commonly believed that the Tenkingan acts as a focusing point for the chakra in the wielder's body and when it is active, it allows them to pass chakra through it that returns to the body in the form light natured chakra. Unlike those who master it naturally, Tenkingan wielders must gradually becomes skilled in the usage of the element, and often cannot use it at all without the assistance of their kekkei genkai.
Total Ranks: 5

Tenkingan Focusing - Rank [ - ]
Effect: When the Tenkingan is activated, a character with this skill may pay (150 - 10x)% the base cost of a chosen technique possessed by the character, with 'x' being equivalent to the character's rank in this skill. (Cost Reduction does not apply.) The chosen technique is considered a Set Trap that was set when the Tenkingan was activated. When the chosen technique activates, its element is considered to be 'Light'. If at anytime the Tenkingan is deactivated before the chosen trap is triggered, then the trap is removed from the battlefield. A Set Trap may be created in this way x times per battle. Techniques performed in this way are always seal-less, must conform to general trap rules, and may never be Taijutsu.
Description: The Tenkingan's ability to store and focus jutsu is a rare ability to some wielders of the kekkei genkai. By channeling the chakra of a technique into their Golden Eye, a wielder is able to house the jutsu invisibly until their target is at a disadvantage. The passage of the chakra through the eye, also transforms the jutsu's chakra nature to that of light. As a wielder grows in strength, they gain the ability to transcribe a wide variety of jutsu and may transcribe more during a day. 
Total Ranks: 4

Designer's Notes:

The new bloodline for the Tenjin clan. This thing has a lot of facets that have no contemporary, so it'll need to be looked at and tore apart. I tried to balance them in ways that I thought would make this less powerful, but more interesting than bloodlines like the Byakugan.

Vision: 2 stats instead of the Sharingan's 3. 1200 stat point boost instead of the other eye's 1440. Costs 5 like the Sharingan just because it seemed right in conjunction with the other skills.

Piercing: Well, it's different than the vision of most bloodlines... because you can actively negate jutsu that target other people by damaging your own concentration. I don't know how this will fly, but as I was writing it, I was really digging the flavor. It fits a clan with 3 eyes so well.

Radiance: One of the clan's overarching themes is light, the sun, and sunshine. This grants light for free toward the end of the character's experience, but for the majority they get a gimped version of light, and can only use it when the bloodline is active. It also costs -5, which I didn't think was too far off the mark.

Inscription: Another cool idea I had. It's basically the ability to split second perform a jutsu when you activate your bloodline, but leave it resting inside your third eye until an opportune moment. This is probably the most tacked-on of the effects, but it's also another really unique thing that's never been tried before. I think it's cool that a Hyuga could negate this by seeing the chakra in the eye and stuff. (I have no solid pricing or mechanical justification for this. It just seems cool and fair because if you force a deactivation they lose the chakra they spent on it.)

Vision: K

Piercing: This wording is a holy nightmare. I had to read your notes in order to figure out what it did. I like the idea, but please find a more clear, concise way to word this (I'm thinking something along the lines of "This ninja may now reduce their own concentration to reduce the ghost damage and effects of incoming genjutsu at a ratio of 1:1 (Concentration : CP). For each rank in this skill, up to 25% of the jutsu's CP cost may be reduced, divided among effects and Ghost Damage as this ninja sees fit. If this ninja can successfully reduce the effects or ghost damage to 0, then that portion of the jutsu is negated..." . Also, this should strictly be a Response Phase Action. I don't like that you could theoretically user this to stop a genjutsu, and then use an RPJ in your response phase. The potentials there are a bit too stronk considering you already get to do this 4 times per battle, which is double what a normal RPJ gets.

Radiance: You're knocking 4 SP off light. You don't also get to improve light. Ditch the line about using consecutively.

Inscription: Sounds fun. In the turn they inscribe a jutsu into their eye, they may not take any actions in their main phase. Jutsu inscribed in this way must conform to all the set trap rule (i.e, they cant apply vuln, etc.)

Name

• Though I understand that you were likely trying to keep this as close to the original bloodline's name as possible(while adjusting it for flavor), I feel that this name should be altered a touch. We've traditionally tried to keep bloodlines from bearing too close of a resemblance to one another, and the "Ten" -- "gan" makes this sound/read a little too closely to the Tenseigan's name. I might suggest Sorakingan | 空金眼 | Gold Heavens* Eye or perhaps even Nikkōgan | 日光眼 | Sunlight Eye

*Sora possible Translations

Vision

• Seems fine.

Piercing

• As Kouta said, the phrasing here is a little confusing. I think I get what you're trying to do, and I think it's a pretty neat variation from the Byakugan/Tenseigan's flat Genjutsu reduction.

• Cool mechanic aside, I think that this is a bit of a miss here. The Concentration boost is already a bit of a hit to Genjutsu, but perhaps we should look away from Dojutsu explicitly having non-incidental mechanics that counteract Genjutsu unless that's explicitly what they do(such as Ranmaru's dojutsu.) I think there's something cooler that we can do here to really hammer home the "Light-casting" aspect of this bloodline. Perhaps something playing with Fazed-- or allowing a non-damage dealing Light jutsu the ability to replenish health based on CP instead of damage?

Radiance

• Traditionally, there's been a very strong emphasis on "Light/Dark" bloodlines being explicitly "Light/Dark". I recall rejecting a Dark-based Tokyo Ghoul port of Pwnzie's awhile back because of how tacked-on Dark felt there, but I can't actually find that thread now. I'm not opposed to a Dojutsu being allowed to use Light because that feels very  much like it's this bloodline's "thing".

• I like that this diminishes the power of Light by getting it early, but I'm halfway with Kouta about this and allowing Light jutsu to be used consecutively. Light's effects are very much balanced around being able to be used only every other turn, and the only other attempts to make Light/Dark able to be used consecutively in the past has halved the outright effect of the element as a byproduct. This sort of effect should probably be its own skill with some kind of limitation. Perhaps it could allow consecutive uses only if the effects do not "successfully" resolve- like a jutsu missing/being negated? This could play in as a balancing point to the proposed effect in Piercing w/ CP healing, if you opt to go with that.

• I appreciate that you picked what you thought was the coolest part of my original Tenshingan submission to keep it grounded in its roots, but this effect feels pretty tacked on compared to the Light part, which definitely seems to be the star point of this bloodline. The original suffered from a similar problem wherein it generated Plasma asynchronously with the rest of its effects, though it was a little less prominent of a thing back when Elements didn't have actual effects.

• With the above said, I am not comfortable with this effect being ported up on a new bloodline like this. As the owner of the original Tenshingan, I'd like you to alter this effect and its flavor such that it does not infringe upon the design space of the original bloodline. The Set-Trap mechanic is unique enough that it can easily be re-purposed to apply just to Light techniques granted through this bloodline.

Pulled this back to the land of the living, because a new member has shown some interest in it. The second skill was an absolute mess so I basically just made it into a bloodline-based RPJ. It accomplishes the same sorta thing, but in a much more straight-forward manner.

• Thanks 1

Having gone through all of these bit by bit I feel like this is more or less approvable. The only thing I have a question about is Tenkingan Piercing

With Piercing, I feel like 4 free negation jutsu might be a bit much. The primary balancing factor that I can see with RPJ jutsu is the costs associated with them and the loss of phases. This skill at high level allows you to freely negate 4 genjutsu with no stat costs. I’m not sure I like a free RPJ this many times a battle even if it’s just against one type of attack. I would like to hear from you or from other staff on this before I flat out approve the system. The rest of it seems to fall neatly into the power level of other AS that I’ve seen.

That's a valid enough concern. I can do something else if people find it to be a significant issue. My logic was that I was quickly trying to throw something approvable together for a new member, and just a flat negation was much easier to grock than the mess I had before. And also, with 4 ranks it's very weird to be like "You get a negation. Then nothing for rank two. Then nothing for rank three. Then another negation."

All of that said, if this needs something else, I can do that too. Or associate a Chakra cost with it or something. Whatever y'all feel.

I could either see having a chakra cost associated with it being good or having the skill cost be higher up front and associate the negation amount to ninja rank. 1 at genin/chunin and 1 at jonin/sennin or similar. With the latter I think it could probably come down a little in cost as well.

Some minor cleanups:

1. Piercing: The negation...the cost reduction is too steep to also give them a chance to retain their setup and main phase while ALSO giving them 4 uses. I suggest a compromise:

-- 2 Uses like any other RPJ and retain the same cost & chance to keep MPA

-- x Uses (rank) but replace the cost formula with (60-5y%), so that cost is ultimately 40% of the base cost. Keep % chance for MPA the same.

-- 4 uses, keep cost formula the same, take away MPA with no chance of recouping. Keep Set-Up.

Then clarifying question: If its 80% chance to lose their main phase...are they trying to roll 81+ or are they trying to roll 19-?

2. Radiance: 20% of 30% or 20% of 10% is really ugly math to do. Can we flip this to "Costs of RPJ used in response to the user's Light jutsu are increased by 6x%. Light jutsu heal 2x%" Just write it out so it is easier for people to calculate. I'm still against giving Light consecutive uses. You knock 4 SP off the cost of Light and get it early with this effect, thats benefit enough. Otherwise you have a setup that more or less encourages you to lock the enemy out of RPJ by way of cost manipulation. If you start running regen or cost enhancing statii alongside this it gets really gross and punishing.

3. Focusing: This is more a question of confusion than anything else. You specify they can create a set trap in this way rank/times per battle. But they can only store a jutsu when Tenkingan is activated. So do you expect them to turn off their eye then turn it back on repeatedly to store jutsu multiple times? Or is it more of a failsafe effect in case someone turns off their eye? Whats the design philosophy there?

1. I tend to assume that high rolls are what we're after on NA... but I couldn't fuckin' tell ya man. We've been a game for decades now, and I don't know if I've seen that asked before. Going with the middle option by the way.

2. So... my thoughts here would be that you calculate the effect normally, and then just reduce that calculation to 20/40/60% of it's total. Because that is an easy way to do that by the same wording. Secondly. I um... I don't agree with your assessment. It's not a -4 reduction to light. Light costs 4. This effect costs 5. You are paying 4 SP for light, but dolled out in smaller increments, and 1 SP to use light consecutively while your bloodline is active. (Not a passive effect). Furthermore, Gravity doesn't have such a clause about consecutive uses, and it still can force 30% JP costs, not only on RPJ's but on basically all techniques. You do have to hit with it, but I would say the differences are equivalent in scope. (I've also only ever felt like that clause existed because Sako wanted to swap between light and dark every turn.)

3. If they want to use that ability again, they will have to deactivate the bloodline, yeah. It's part of balancing the fact that they can do light repeatedly.  Note that that deactivating it also takes a Setup Phase, so that you can't dance it back and forth in one turn.