PandaMattMatt

Hanamajo Life Savers

Flower Release: False Bloom

Type: Ninjutsu [Plant | Hanamajo]

Cost: 150 Chakra

Effect: When this technique is used, the user selects 1 target. That target may, at any time as a free action, activate the effects of this technique. When this technique is activated, the user becomes the target of the next incoming physical attack without any dodge roll. When the effects of this technique are activated, the User loses their next Set Up and Main Phase. This technique may be used two times per battle. When this technique is activated against incoming attacks of higher rank, this technique has a 15x% chance to fail where x is equal the number of ranks above the user. This has a 5% chance to fail against techniques of equal or lesser rank.

Description: A protective jutsu utilized to be used as a contingency plan. By implanting a portion of their chakra into an ally, the Hanamajo is able to immediately switch places with them to intercept an attack. When this technique is activated, the image of the ally disappears in a flurry of petals only to reveal the Hanamajo who used this technique.

Plant Release: Will of the Weeds

Type: Ninjutsu [Hanamajo | Plant | Shield]

Cost: 150 Chakra

Effect: Creates a shield with 220 health on selected target. This shield lasts for 1 turn or until destroyed, but is not immediately applied. Instead, it is triggered when the target fails a dodge roll against a Physical attack. This technique may only be used twice per battle. When this technique is triggered, there is a 5% chance that it will fail, rolled by target. If this technique is not triggered within 4 of the target's turns, it is removed from the target.

Description: Forming the seals to this technique, the Hanamajo creates a concentration of Plant chakra. This chakra is placed on the target and remains dormant. Through a seeming will of it’s own, the chakra activates itself only in moments of critical and imminent danger. The chakra bursts and creates a translucent screen of chakra that absorbs incoming damage to keep the target alive, much like the tenacity of a weed that just won’t die.

Edited by PandaMattMatt

False Bloom: Had a kneejerk of "no" to False Bloom, but I think it's a neat idea that could stand to be tested. Let's make this once per battle and only applicable to chunin and lower ranked attacks. You can make a Jonin one, but the cost should probably bump up to let's say 220, and give it an evolving cost of "n/a [Evolving: x]" that way you can't use both versions in a single battle.

Will of the Weeds: Vulnerable is getting changed soon, so this wouldn't work at all.

I'm not really seeing a benefit to any of the suggested changes. It's like the Clone switching skill, only WAY more dangerous. If a teammate wants to swap with a Hanamajo and force them to eat a Kirin or something, why not? The damage is being dealt, there isn't a secondary change at the incoming technique missing, it's just damaging a different character. I don't think this needs to be limited to Chuunin or lower attacks. It's strictly worse than a negation jutsu with the biggest drawback of losing phases.

Edit; Or in place of a standard per battle limit, what about may only be activated once per battle per ally and only one ally at a time may have this effect applied. It would give the possibility of using maybe 3 or 4 times, but he User would also have to take 3 or 4 attacks that may or may not be devastating. And only one ally at a time can have the effect making it confined a bit more. Also, this wasnt intended for use with clones, so, I'll add in that clones cannot use this technique.

Will of the weeds still functions if my understanding of the new vulnerable is correct, unless there's something in missing? This is a triggered Effect, not an activated one.

Edited by PandaMattMatt

The way the new vulnerable is worded your trigger won't happen, so you might want to adjust that one.

I don't mind the second one as such; it's basically a guaranteed attack intercept but you don't get the increased def that Saviour gives. I agree on once per battle, though I think it shouldn't be a Free Action since that could be interpreted as 'after a failed dodge roll'. If that's your intention (like kawarimi), then it'll need more restrictions.

So, if a negation technique can be used twice per battle, why does a technique that simply transitions the damage to a new target, have a once per battle limit? I don't understand the reasoning behind it, currently.

Also edited the other tech to trigger a shield when a dodge roll is failed. This should work now.

Edited by PandaMattMatt

I'm not considering it as an RPJ because it isn't one. Mechanically, the jutsu is very similar to Savior and that's where I'm drawing the one-use limit from. Outside of Path of the Defender you can't RPJ a technique aimed at an ally, so this really isn't comparable to a RPJ at all. Giving control to the target isn't a downside either, since it lets a clone with horrible turn order intercept an attack when it otherwise couldn't. Plus I see this being used by/with summons and clones for the most part, so you'd still be in control.

Savior, while it is limited to 1 use per battle, it has no other costs outside of sp. This costs in battle resources, and suffers greater drawbacks than savior. And yeah, putting it in the hands of the target is the whole flavor of it, because it's against the user's control. If it's an issue of self-use abuse that is keeping a 1-per battle limit on it, I'll restrict it to only be usable in a battle in which more than 1 pc is present on the same team. And add something like "May not target secondary characters under the control of the user" or whatnot.

It's not the being used on secondary characters, it's being used by secondary characters that has the potential for abuse.

Savior is superior in that you get an extra 25 damage reduction and apply armour that would be ignored otherwise. The first point isn't hugely impactful, the second only comes into play on very rare occasions.

I'm honestly on the fence about this. On one hand defensive just usually have a two-use limit, but on the other hand this is a chuunin technique that can potentially alter a sennin kinjutsu with no fail chance. You say that the attack's new target gets no dodge roll, but can they RPJ?

Y'all are putting a lot of restrictions on False Bloom that aren't really necessary. It's got a Hanamajo clan tag, so summons & pets won't be able to take it, and clones follow all of the restrictions of their creator.

If you put a 2 uses per battle on it, then your clones usages would stack against your own, so you'd get a total of 2 uses across your board. I personally think that's fine, especially because you can counter this by killing the clone first in an AoE or whatever.

I don't see a lot of potential for abuse, except for in the places that Peregine mentioned. This should be evolving so that a chunin rank technique isn't useful against a sennin technique, and this should require a fail chance since it requires Main Phase tempo loss.

So, I meant for it to say that it cannot be used by secondary characters under the user's control. I fixed that.

No, when false bloom is activated, the user may not take any action. They just get hit. And they also lose their Setup and Main phase.

I disagree with not allowing it to work on a Sennin Rank jutsu. As it is transitioning the damage rather than mitigating it or negating it. However, I am willing to add a fail chance. Which would scale with the rank of incoming technique, per new RPJ rules.

Edited by PandaMattMatt

False Bloom:

I think a twice per battle usage for this would be fine. As well as, the clan tag and clones following the same restrictions as their creator prevent this from being heavily abused. Yes a clone can use this, but then it would already use up one of the usages. Also, as CD mentioned, clones can easily be dispatched by AOEs. 

This is simply a redirect, so I'd be fine with it being able to be used against higher rank techniques with an increased fail chance. I'd say about 15% for jounin and 30% for sennin. 

OK, updated to be 2 per battle. Added in a few lines about the fail chance of higher ranks (I said 15x%, where x is the number of ranks the technique is above the user) and said it has a 5% chance to fail against equal and lesser ranks. Should cover all the fail chance bases.

Will of the Weeds: Current form definitely won't fly. In my mind, a large balancing factor to Shields is that they have a limited duration, so you have to predict when you think you'll take damage and be proactive about applying it at the right time. This technique essentially lets you avoid both. It's comparable to the Aragane removing duration from their Shields- but that's a bloodline skill and this is just a technique. 

Ok, brought it down to 1 turn making it easier to counter by throwing out a small damage attack. And since it's like an RPJ, but out of the target's control, I put a 5% chance to fail.

Edit; I hear you about the duration. Made it so that it has to be triggered within 4 turns, which is normal shield duration.

Edited by PandaMattMatt

Will of the Weeds is definitely starting to shape up into something that seems as much 'cool' as 'acceptable'. As I am thinking about it, however, I do think that it needs to pay for the flexibility of triggering a bit later. My recommendation for that here is to adjust the shield HP down to 220. This'll make the approximate cost for this effect 20, but I would add the future note here that this number may decrease or increase based on the rank of future jutsu that try to mimic this. I could reasonably see the delayed release effect costing 40-50 on a jonin technique, but maybe only 10-15 on a genin one.

While I don't completely agree with paying for the delayed trigger, since it's within the 4 turns a normal shield could operate and out of the target's control, the price is reasonable especially for something that doesn't have an exact precedent.

Reduced shield health to 220 and kept the chakra cost the same

Edited by PandaMattMatt