Kouta

Soseigan | 組成目 | Composition Eye

ZHpCkrd.gif

Soseigan | 組成目 | Composition Eye

The Sharingan, the Byakugan, and the Rinnegan. Believed to be three parts of the same coin, all descended from one another in various mutations, all stemming back to the Sage of Six Paths. But, as many have discovered, they were not the only mutations. Named 'The Composition Eye', the Soseigan shares its connection with the Rinnegan in the unmistakable presentation. It shares many similarities with the Sharingan and Byakugan of legend, and seems to be far less famous for its many deeds.

The Soseigan present wildly, with little thought or creed connecting the people who inherit it. Many who unlock a Soseigan find themselves in the midst of legendary or heroic deeds, or at the sight of great slaughter. No Soseigan has ever awakened in the comfort of someone's daily life. The price to find it is steep, and has led many to believe the eye itself is cursed. Many of its wielders were actively hunted in the early days of ninja life, thought to be omens of death or misfortune. This bloody history stunted the spread of the Soseigan, leaving it to trail behind its more famous brothers, despite their tendency to invite no less misery, if truth be told. 

The Soseigan, when manifested, is a vibrant, shining blue. The eye itself emits light, thought to be the overflow of chakra into the organ. When fully manifested, the eye "projects" a series of dials and gears in front of the wielder's face, each pattern specific to the Soseigan wielder. These dials help to angle and direct the Soseigan's power so it may be used more efficiently. Its initial manifestation simply appears as if the iris and cornea have been drawn on in glowing blue ink. A complex, interlocking gear-like pattern turns in the eyes themselves, creating a hypnotic effect thought to be remnants of its genetic link to the Sharingan. Geneaologists suspect that since its powers lie in a similar vein, and that the Copy Wheel Eye also has a near luminescent form, that the Composition Eye must have mutated from directly from the Sharingan. Although there is some debate whether or not the evolution might have occurred the other way around.

The Composition Eye, a relatively fresh doujutsu in a land dominated by those left since antiquity, is a strange and fickle creature. Sure, like many doujutsu, it provides the ability to see chakra as it is molded, to distinguish clone from creator, and to, by and large, increase the ability of the body to track high speed movements. The Soseigan differs from it counterparts in two key ways. The Soseigan cannot see chakra inside of a body. It cannot target chakra pathways like the Byakugan, instead only seeing the chakra after it has left the body. Physical objects seem to pose no issue to its detection, but living matter, like humans, animals, and to a degree plant life, blocks its sight. The second major difference is the fact that the eye analyzes but does not copy the chakra it sees. Instead, it destroys or breaks apart that chakra. Only it does so incredibly selectively. It gained the moniker 'The Composition Eye' because it can see, to a near infinitesimal degree, the composition of chakra, and all other substances, really. The Soseigan can determine within a near .0002% degree of error the exact degree and mixtures of different elemental and shape manipulations of a piece of chakra, and then strip those pieces apart. Fireballs suddenly become empty balls of force. Punches lose their power. The tiniest crack on a wall is exploited to create an opening. The Soseigan sees vulnerabilities in the composition of different attacks and exploits them to the highest possible degree.

Soseigan Activation: Soseigan is an Advanced System. It costs 5% Total Chakra to Activate, and 5% Total Chakra to Upkeep.

Restrictions: Ranks in these skills may only be taken every 20 Levels. Advanced Regeneration is suspended while this Advanced System is active.

Soseigan Sight; Rank [-]

Effect: While the Soseigan is active, increase the user's Evasion and Concentration by 1.2x per rank in this skill, where x is equal to the user's level.

Description: The Soseigan's main method of visual acuity is to find weaknesses. That may mean a fireball whose trajectory was off, or that was improperly made and sealed in the haste of battle. A Genjutsu whose construct has a visible edge or a triggering sensational component, may be detected using the analysis of the chakra that makes up any attack. Even Taijutsu relies upon composition to a certain degree, and the angle of a punch may be detected and interfered with before it is even thrown. As such, Soseigan wielders will often find themselves knocking aside or shrugging off attacks that ought to have killed them.

Max Ranks: 5

Cost: -1 per Rank

Soseigan Detection; Rank [-]

Effect: While Soseigan is active, increase the user's Block Range by 4x, where x is their rank in this skill. This is an Activated Effect.

Description: Some attacks have glaring, gaping flaws. Others have minute flaws, often detected by the Soseigan that are invisible to anyone else. These flaws can be exploited. Unraveling a jutsu before it ever strikes the wielder because it was sloppily made, or knocking a martial artist out of their stance because their balance was minutely incorrect. The Soseigan can see it all.

Max Ranks: 5

Cost: -1 per Rank

Soseigan Disassembly

Effect: If the Soseigan is Active and there are unresolved techniques targeting anyone in the battle, this character may pay 5% of their Total Chakra as a free action in the Response Phase to activate this ability. Choose one [Tag] on one of the unresolved techniques. That technique is no longer considered to have that [Tag], no longer benefits from that tag, and no longer benefits from any abilities that are related to that [Tag]. For the purposes of this ability [AoE] and [Multi-Strike] are not considered tags and may not be removed. The turn this ability is used, the user can only choose to 'roll to dodge' during the Response Phase. This ability can only be used once per turn, and can only target jutsu of equal or lower rank than this ninja.

Description: Upon seeing the composition of a technique, the Soseigan can go one step further. Instead of copying or reflecting that composition, the Soseigan can rip its composition apart, weakening the attack before it can get close enough to strike. Ninjutsu may suddenly lose their elemental manipulation. Traps will suddenly appear like regular jutsu. Even Taijutsu users will find their pressure points attacked in just the right way to render their style of martial arts incoherent.

Cost: -5

Soseigan Masteries

Stored Patterns

Effect: When the user blocks an attack while the Soseigan is active, the user may designate one [Tag] on that attack. They can add that [Tag] to an attack made during their Main Phase of the same turn. If that [Tag] requires a skill to use (such as Subtle Elements, Genjutsu Archetypes, or a Taijutsu Style) the user may use the effect of that skill as if they possess it. This skill can allow the user to generate Charges from Taijutsu Styles and access Subtle Elements they know as part of a Combinatorial Elements skill, but this skill cannot add an element, archetype, or style to an attack that already possesses one.

Description: Splintered from their branching history with the Sharingan, the Soseigan's ability to disrupt chakra flows can be harnessed for a new purpose. By studying the shape of something they make contact with, a skilled user of the Soseigan can alter the normal flow of their own Chakra, repeating these patterns and styles in a rudimentary style of 'copying' the parts of the techniques that they are intimately familiar with: its shape and nature manipulations.

Requirements: Soseigan Sight; Rank 2, Soseigan Disassembly

Cost: -1

Improved Detection

Effect: When activating 'Soseigan Dissasembly' increase the user's Block Range by a further 1x for 1 turn, where x is the number of Ranks in 'Soseigan Detection'

Description: With time and fine tuning, a master of the Soseigan will see even more minute errors and exploit them to avoid harm.

Requirements: Soseigan Sight; Rank 3, Soseigan Disassembly

Improved Disassembly

Effect: When activating 'Soseigan Disassembly' this character can select two Tags on the unresolved attack(s) to remove instead of one.

Description: The more one practices pulling techniques apart, the faster they can do it, often rendering techniques completely devoid of shape or substance.

Requirements: Soseigan Sight; Rank 4, Soseigan Disassembly

Edited by Kouta

Designer's Notes!

Guys I made a mystic eye! I've literally never done this before woo! Okay! Eye is actually pretty basic. See vulnerabilities in attack patterns and chakra, so you get + Evasion and + Block Range. Goal is to never take full damage from anything. The only unique part is its special "Mystic Eye" power, "Soseigan Disassembly"

General gist is that you remove Tags from a jutsu like [Fire] or [Desert Aikido] or [Dynamic Trap]. Then, if they have any skills like Ninjutsu Mastery; Fire, they fizzle out also get negated because the jutsu is no longer fire. Essentially weakening the jutsu so that when you block it, it hurts less and doesnt fuck up your life. This doesnt affect its accuracy in ANY WAY and doesn't negate the jutsu at all, so I don't see too much of an issue. Let me know if I've overlooked some massive broken play.

The masteries are pretty simple too. MOAR Block Range, and MOAR Tags stripped. The big mastery is "Masterful Disassembly". General gist there is that instead of targeting a [Tag] you are targeting its Type (Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Taijutsu) and removing things that target the TYPE of technique. Much more powerful, as it also strips mods from the jutsu. Lemme know how we feel there. I kind of felt like Masterful Disassembly was like a Mangekyou-like evolution for the eye, so if we'd rather me list it that way, I can, it just seemed weird to list a whole new form for just 1 ability. EDIT: The Final Verdict was that Removing Types was not fun, invalidated too many things, and was a logistical nightmare. Instead, the third mastery became 'Secondary Disassembly' which allows me to target Status Effects instead of [Tags], doubling and then tripling down on my ability to alter my opponent's jutsu, by removing the cool statuses their build might heavily rely on before I get hit.

But yea. This idea has NEVER been tried before and it seems super fun. But its not quite as broken as it initially sounds. I never negate or stop jutsu from hitting me (unless I naturally dodge them) it only applies to Techniques, so this ability is 100% useless on Weapon or Basic Attacks, since they don't have Tags or Types to remove. So there are several counterplay options naturally in the strategy. Lemme know what you think!

Edited by Kouta

Hmm, just a question though. If you remove the taijutsu style tag from it, does the user still generate taijutsu charges? Cos that would be pretty strong.

Also if you get rid of say a [Dark] tag, that's usually 9 SP worth of expenditure someone had to put in that they don't get any effect from it anymore. Anything that states that "If hit with a [tag] style attack previously, gain bonuses" all break. Does getting rid of Elemental Archetype for genjutsu remove the element as well? You can also get rid of Dynamic Traps and such as well...

Edited by elsie

So does the the cost of the Soseigan Disassembly stack with masterful disassembly or is it just 5% total you chose to perform those actions in the same turn. Just feels like for the SP, removing tags and types is super versatile. At its best you are removing subtle elements effects and up to 400 damage in masteries, not to mention when you strip it of its element it becomes void which means all you really need to buy chakra shield instead of the elemental ones, saving loads of money.  Add in natural defense, your increased blocked range to cut whats left in half (potentially) and god forbid you have earth element. Get a hell of a bang for little buck. 

Edited by Seigen

Answering questions in order:

1. A Taijutsu that loses its Style no loner generates charges, because most charges says "When a ___ Style hits an opponent" and if it no longer has the Tag, then it no longer is of that style.

2. Regarding something like Dark, the ability is limited use, and costs a % of Total Chakra, so its unlikely I'll use it every single turn. But yes, if you point a Dark tech at me I'ma snipe the Dark out of it. Thats kind of the point of the bloodline.

3. Only if they continue to require a [Tag] attack. "If hit with a "Celestial Monarch" attack in your previous turn, this jutsu gains +5 damage" would suddenly not work because I got hit with a "Styleless" Attack, not a "Celestial Monarch" attack. It is important to note that abilities that modify a jutsu, such as a Set-Up Phase that targets "The next "Celestial Monarch" you use," those effects would remain, since at the time of modification it met all the requirements. Similarly, if your ability is worded "If you used a "Celestial Monarch Technique in the previous turn" those abilities would work. Because you did USE that kind of technique. I just did not get HIT by that kind of technique.

4. On Elemental Archetype: Yes, because the tag is [Elemental; Fire]. They would lose that tag, and everything attached to it.

5. Yes I can remove your Dynamic Trap tag and you lose the accuracy bonus attached with it.

6. "May elect to pay an ADDITIONAL 5% Total Chakra" | If you use Soseigan and Masterful you pay 10% Total Chakra and use up two of your Disassembly uses. It essentially counts as you using it twice in one turn, and you pay for it as if you did so.

7. Yes, removing tags and types IS super versatile. But its not as powerful as just negating, nor is it as powerful as reflecting, or copying. It's supposed to be versatile. It is a power that can equally respond to every strategy except Weapons, which render the entire ability useless. And yes of course, I added a kit to go with it that makes the most of that ability. A kit focused around reducing your total damage, and then blocking your reduced damage.

But remember: A block is still a hit. Even if I take miniscule damage I'm still getting pegged with statuses like Bleed, Stunned, etc. This ability is not fullproof, but it's powerful if you know when and where to use it. And is that not the goal of building to a good strategy? A plan with counterplay options that CAN turn the tide of battle but does not ALWAYS do so?

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / // 

EDIT: If we feel I need to open a further avenue of counterplay to this aside from Hybrids (which naturally resist this) and Weapons (which render this useless), I can make it only apply to "Chakra Based Attacks" and just have Taijutsu sidestep it entirely. I do not want to do this, but of all the potential disciplines, that is the one that fits the least with the descriptions of the ability.

Edited by Kouta

Disassembly creates much wonk with expendable resources. 

General Scenario:

An attacker spends 3 (Grundle Charges) to kick you in de nootz with their specific hankster targeting taijutsu style. This taijutsu style provides a special bonus to that kick because of those 3 charges spent. For the sake of argument lets say it's a bonus to crit rate. You then remove the kick's style tag. It is no longer of the special dick attacking taijutsu style, and would therefore lose the benefit of those charges spent.

That's fine and dandy. However, it creates an after the fact play inconsistency, since normally taijutsu charges cannot be spent on an attack that doesn't belong to that taijutsu style. Would those taijutsu charges be refunded to the player who spent them, or are they blasted into the aether?

Tags and their meaning on a player to player basis:

I am a player who has added a lot to what tags are in my time here, and I recognize certain facets of the game as tags, but certain things are not actually recognized as tags and we have no special system for what constitutes a tag. I personally tag 'Area of Effect', 'Traps', 'Seals', 'Forbiddens', and a few others among the basict tags (Type/Personal/Clan/Etc). However, those aren't actually counted as tags by the letter of the rules. It's a style I began using because having condensed data at the top of the technique was easier for me, and it became widely adapted later on. Despite widespread use, the things I mentioned above aren't actually "tags" and aren't things members are actually required to put up there.

Tags or Descriptors don't even have a section in the glossary, so its a very flimsy pretense for trying to build a mechanic. For instance, I would rule that you could not disassemble someone's AoE jutsu even if they tagged the technique as an 'AoE' up in their tagline. The same would go for a Dynamic Trap, or a Kinjutsu, or what have you.

Could this be changed? Sure, but it would be something to bring up in the GM chat and someone would need to spearhead going through and changing all approved jutsu to conform to the new format. I know how most of staff would respond to that workload though... 

I hate to crush dreams, since most modern techs do conform to that standard, but without a proposal and entry into the rulebook about how tags/descriptors work, you would be relegated to only removing the style/element/archetype of a technique or the origin tags like clan/personal/bloodline etc. Which I don't think is as attractive a power. I don't know, hit me with some feedback, and maybe draft up a proposal. 

After some brief discussion about what actually constitutes a [Tag] on NA (You can find the rules for those here!) the ability will stay as is. I did remove the limited battle uses on it (and consolidated to 1 bigass -5 Rank), because the BL is already taking 5% Chakra every turn, and kills Adv Regen, so 5% Total Chakra as a cost for Disassembly means using this will drastically shorten the amount of time I can keep the eye open, so the likelihood of me using the ability every turn is pretty low anyways. Also added some restrictions on things that are definitely NOT tags and are NOT removable, namely, AoE and Multi-Strike.

And then I changed the final mastery. Instead of removing a Type (Like Nin/Gen/Tai) I can just choose to snipe Statuses instead of Tags. They felt about on the same level of power, so it was a decent trade off. And sniping statuses I actually made more expensive than sniping tags in most cases, just because of how drastically they can impact tempo of a fight.

I have no major issue with this, but I feel that, since it happens in the response phase, it should lock out alternate options for responding. If you're disassembling a technique I don't think you should be able to simultaneously throw up a barrier to protect yourself or something. I think on any response phase you dissemble a technique, you should be limited to the dodge or no action. Since this is worded to allow you to assist teammates, they can still throw a full defence at a reduced technique, but I really don't like the feel of doing lots of things in the response phase. Especially something that really feels like an action in and of itself (though I think removing dodge as an option is way too harsh, hence why I reckon just leave you dodge or bust).

Disassembly is going to need to be reined in a bit. Especially as it's a free action, I'm going to have to say No to it being able to remove status effects (Secondary Disassembly). I don't think that mastery should exist, it's honestly way too powerful with everything else this can already do.

When Seigen mentioned how overwhelming this was defensively, you used 'Even if I block an attack, I can still be hit with status effects' as an argument for the balance of the blocking abilities in this (and the removal of tag-related mastery skills and the damage associated with them), but if you can, without an action, negate any inconvenient statuses that's basically false.

Because at the time of that discussion, its was "Tags AND Types" meaning I could strip someone from using their attack stat (so the damage was guaranteed to be minimal). I no longer do that second, more powerful ability, so I substituted in the ability to mess with Status Effects instead. And while I still can dodge roll after using this ability, this isn't a free action in the idea that I just do it and can continue having my turn normally. Not entirely. All I can do on that Response Phase is dodge (so I don't force myself to get hit for using the ability). It shuts off all the "Knowing the Elements" skills, RPJ, etc. This is your RPJ for the turn, essentially.

There IS an idea: To make a Soseigan Hijutsu that strips the statuses out as an RPJ, putting a hardlock on #times per battle and making so I can't do BOTH at once (since you cant disassemble+RPJ). I could accept that as a compromise. But I feel like an advanced system that is entirely defensive should have the ability to statusblock/statusnegate. Its like, the Brick Wall Eye.

I could also consider making it an ability I can only activate during my Set-up Phase, so it can never apply TO ME, and just to other people, but then I'd 100% make an RPJ to cover myself, because being able to do something for other people but not myself feels weird, strategy wise.

Sight - Approved

Detection - Approved

Disassembly - After pondering on this for a couple of hours, this is okay. Since it strips out tags, it leaves you to just dodge or bust, so it's where it's at for a response phase ability. However, I do think it should only affect techniques that are the rank of the user or lower. So a clause in there that it can't affect techniques of a higher rank than the user should be put in there.

Also, just some clarification: From the way it's worded, this kind of strips charges from some taijutsu styles. Because if the technique hits and you strip the tag, it means that technically the attack that hit does not count as a technique of that style. Which means the user of the technique does not gain a charge. This also applies for any other techniques (ninjutsu or genjutsu) that states: "If this technique hits, gain blah blah blah). 

Mastery Skills

• Improved Detection - Just for clarification this only occurs when the bloodline is activated yes? 
  • Improved Disassembly - Sure? 
  • Secondary Disassembly - That's a no from me dawg. The ability to strip a status effect AND a [Tag] is a bit too much without a battle limit. At the worst case for somebody attacking you, you've now stripped their technique to be without any additional effects from their skills towards the element/archtype/style and on top of that nullifying their status effects, in combination with blocking and now taking half damage, you've pretty much negated any danger to yourself and the counterplay. Especially since you get to choose which status effect you can negate. If we take it too the max level and throw this bloodline into a medic + defender skills, you don't really take any damage at all. I'd be okay with stripping status effects OR [Tags] for this ability, but not both. That or a RPJ technique with a battle limit. 

In response to clarification on Disassembly: Yes. If you have an ability that says "When a [Desert Aikido] technique hits the opponent, you gain 1 "Counter" charge." or "When your [Fire] technique hits an opponent, it also inflicts the "Burned" status for 1 turn." Then Soseigan turns those off. Because you hit with a "Styleless" or "Void" technique, not a "Desert Aikido" or "Fire" technique.

If you have abilities that say "When you USE a [Wood] ninjutsu you gain 1 "Essence of Wood" on the field." That ability works JUST FINE because you did USE a wood technique on your turn and that effect already happened. I just did not get HIT by a Wood technique on my turn. I got hit by a Void technique. So if you also had a skill that said "When your opponent is hit by a [Wood] Technique they also suffer "Bound Arm" for 1 turn." that skill would no longer function.

In response to clarification of "Improved Detection": Yes. It only activates on the turn you use Disassembly and only lasts 1 turn. And you can only use Disassembly when the AS is turned on. So yes, you can only use this when the AS is turned on. It is essentially: Normally this Bloodline gives you Block +20. When you use Disassembly, it becomes Block +25 for 1 turn.

I removed "Secondary Disassembly" and will sub it as a separated RPJ that requires the bloodline. That seems cleaner. 

Instead I added "Stored Pattern" which is when I block an attack, I can choose one of the tags on that attack and add it to my own attack in the main phase that turn. I feel like thats way more doable because A: My enemy controls it, and B: I have to get hit in order to block.

Edited by Kouta

Please specify Stored Pattern is only active while the Soseigan is, and I think it's fine. Why would you want to generate charges though? You are treated as if you possess the skill, you don't possess the skill. That means charges do literally nothing for you? Everything else makes sense. Charge generation does not. You planning some kind of wild taijutsu style that can only spend charges from other styles?

Otherwise, I think I'm pretty okay with all this. It plays incredibly well against a lot of things, but falls short when faced with things like set traps or faster opponents. There's counter play to it, though it might be outside of people's normal kit and require them to think outside the box.

I have made the requested change to stored pattern (requiring soseigan). I've also updated the wording on the skill to be more clear as to what I mean. When you yoink the element, you also temporarily yoink the effects of any skill you need to use that tag. Meaning, if, say, you yoinked [Lotus], you'd temporarily gain the effect of the lotus style skill. That skill allows you to generate charges, which, at first glance, does nothing. But if I block a [Lotus] while I already have a [Lotus] Charge (cuz they only go away if I attain other charges in a another style) then I gain temporary access to the Lotus Style Skill AGAIN and it has the ability to spend Lotus Charges for effects. Which I'd get to use during that main phase only. It is highly situational, and won't always be effective, but it can pay off in cool, niche ways. I'm more interested in yoinking your elements, but mechanically there's no reason why I should exclude taijutsu users from an Advanced System they could reasonably employ

IN ADDITION, you are right. It's not my plan, but it absolutely could be the plan of someone to make a Taijutsu user with this bloodline, and a "Wild Style" that spends other styles' tai charges could be very cool and thematic. Not my ghost, not my gig, but the option is out there.

Approved.

But so other approval staff know, this can't pull anything that has already happened as Kouta explained above.. Essentially, we have to look at the timings for effects, and see what happens on your turn vs in the Soseigan user's response phase. A list of main site effects the Soseigan cannot stop are as follows:

Spoiler

-Subtle Elements; Earth 

-Subtle Elements; Water 

-Combinatorial; Cloud

-Combinatorial; Lava

-Combinatorial; Magnet (ONLY the recovery of small weapons)

-Combinatorial; Steel

-Combinatorial; Vacuum

-Combinatorial; Wood

-Combinatorial; Crystal

-Combinatorial; Dark (ONLY health loss)

-Lotus Style (spending charges)

-Crane Style (Actually doesn't work, but has a weird interaction. It removes the tag, thus the bet. Bet charges are only lost when a technique misses, the technique is no longer Crane Style, so no bet charges are lost if the technique misses and none are gained if it hits)

-Wild Beast Style (spending charges)

-Momentum (it's passive, the charges keep doing what they do)

-Mountain Ox Style

-Serpent Style (spending charges)

-Desert Aikido (spending charges)

-Elemental Archetype (just the additional base damage, as that is applied when the technique is used unlike total damage modifiers)

-Meditative Archetype (also checks for use, so even if it loses meditative, you still USED a meditative technique, thus can sac your setup phase to heal).

There is a huge range of things the Soseigan just doesn't do too much against, and that is largely why I am comfortable approving it.