Celes

Five Release Mk II

• Goton: Godai Zoukyou | Five Release: Five Element Augmentation | 五遁・五大増強

Type: Ninjutsu [Water | Fire | Wind | Lightning | Earth | Hijutsu; Sarutobi Hayate]

Cost: 80 Chakra

Effect: This technique may be used in the Setup Phase or Main Phase. The user chooses an ally. When using a Taijutsu or Ninjutsu during the ally's next turn, the ally may increase the base cost of the technique by 10x% paid with Chakra or 5x% paid in Health, which may not exceed cost caps, to apply x Subtle Element effects. When applied to Taijutsu in this manner, they are treated as Ninjutsu-Taijutsu hybrids with each of the given Basic Elements added to its type and effects. This technique may be used once per battle in the Setup Phase.

Description: This Five Release was devised to empower other Ninjutsu, as well as Taijutsu, performed by the user or an ally. The user channels the chakra of all five elements into their hands and hold the chakra in place as they perform other techniques. In doing so, the chakra molded for the given technique mixes with the previous containment of chakra, bestowing the characteristics of the elements.

Now this technique doesn't pay for being able to apply each of those Subtle Elements, so instead a technique used by the target of this technique does so so that it pays the appropriate amount. However this technique does open that option, so I'd imagine that needs a cost in itself on top of adding Basic Elements to it (which isn't hugely advantageous in a lot of cases) so I figured I'd throw up 80 Chakra to see how that goes. That's comes to 2 JP. Since its usable in Setup Phase or Main Phase, doubling that to 4 JP.

• Goton: Godai Shuusoku | Five Release: Five Element Convergence | 五遁・五大集束

Type: Ninjutsu [Water | Fire | Wind | Lightning | Earth | Hijutsu; Sarutobi Hayate]

Cost: 80 Chakra

Effect: This technique may be used in the Setup Phase or Main Phase. The user chooses an ally. When the target performs an offensive attack during any of their following Main Phases that applies all five Subtle Element bonuses, the attack instead applies the Combinatorial; Light bonus as long as the user possesses the corresponding skill. This technique may be used once per battle in the Setup Phase.

Description: Originally serving as a mishap when utilizing his specialized Ninjutsu, Sarutobi Hayate forged this unusual and difficult technique by performing one of his trademark Five Release techniques. When the attack would connect with the target, he instantaneously mixes the five elements together from outside of his body and into the powerful light element for but a split second. Though the damage taken matches the original elements used, the aftereffects differ greatly.

Not a clue about this one's cost. It sacrifices the ability to apply all five of the Subtle Elements, 4 of which was already paid for in the given technique in the first place in most cases at +40% the cost and solely applies the Combinatorial; Light effect instead. This does bypass the skill's restriction of not using Tier 4 techniques on consecutive turns since this isn't technically the Tier 4 Element, but I don't think that's a huge thing. Anyway, just gonna low ball the cost at 80 I guess. And doubled JP of 2 for Setup Phase and Main Phase use.

• Goton: Godai Yousai | Five Release: Five Element Fortification | 五遁・五大要塞

Type: Ninjutsu [Water | Fire | Wind | Lightning | Earth | Shield | Hijutsu; Sarutobi Hayate]

Cost: 360 Chakra

Effect: This technique is performed in the Main Phase and applies each listed Basic Element's Subtle Element bonus. The user of this technique creates five (5) Shields with 105 Health each on any number of targets that last four (4) turns. Each Shield created is assigned a Basic Element and possess the following effects:

Fire: Attacks of the [Fire] element deal half their damage to this Shield. Attacks of the [Water] element deal critical damage to this Shield.

Water: Attacks of the [Water] element deal half their damage to this Shield. Attacks of the [Earth] element deal critical damage to this Shield.

Earth: Attacks of the [Earth] element deal half their damage to this Shield. Attacks of the [Lightning] element deal critical damage to this Shield.

Lightning: Attacks of the [Lightning] element deal half their damage to this Shield. Attacks of the [Wind] element deal critical damage to this Shield.

Wind: Attacks of the [Wind] element deal half their damage to this Shield. Attacks of the [Fire] element deal critical damage to this Shield.

This technique may be used twice per battle.

Description: Similar to most of the defensive Five Release techniques, Goton; Godai Yousai uses the basic elements protect against assaults made against the user or their allies. Unlike most, however, it emphasizes the elemental strengths and weaknesses of each individual element. The user claps their hands together and maintains their position as chakra is channeled into the ground beneath them. Depending on whom the user is attempting to protect, five flat, dissimilar shields constructed of each element erupt vertically from ground and encircle the target with a seeming sentience to protect them against attacks.

Simple Shield technique if I'm not mistaken as the effect kind of evens itself out. 52.5 [Shield Health] * 5 [Number of Shields] = 262.5 ~ 260. With the variable effect, 260 * 1.4 [Subtle Elements] = 364 ~ 360 a total of 8 JP.

Edited by Celes

Since I've recently done a refresher on Seal-Less jutsu, and the minimum cost for no seals is 50, even if 30% is less than that. So the first jutsu should cost 50 for the effect and 50 for sealless. 

As for the second, it only goes off when you get all five elemental effects, which I don't think we've ever separately priced. That said, +40% cost is pretty steep even to get Light's effect. Given that it's once per battle, I'm ok with the effect. The cost feels a little low; maybe 80-100 feels right to me? I'm eyeballing too so I might be off the mark entirely, but posting from a phone so it's all unedited. 

I will give these an approved stamp, they don't bother me.

If light was less based on power, I'd be concerned about throwing light on cheap cost nothing stuff by combining one and two together and chucking all elements on cheap techniques, but uh, that is not the case at all. I feel the 40-50% cost is always going to hurt if you're punching for light, so yeah, these are fine with me.

The intention here, by the way, is very clear to me. Taijutsu has best damage ratios and highest cap, you throw big light technique and use skill 2 in that setup phase, light doesn't have all 5 elements so it doesn't trigger the setup. Next turn you use a massive taijutsu technique, get heal off it's absurd damage for cheaper than nin would do it and add in your ninjutsu modifier too. Then you light again the following turn for 3 solid turns of big heals and cost ineffective to respond to swings (which, yeah, increasing the cost of light techniques bloats their cost to respond so hahahaha interactions through the roof)

But then, forbidden techniques have a global 1:2 so what even ever. Still happy with it, just want other people to know what this can do if they hadn't seen it incase that bothers them.

Edited by Princess

These are weird because you are paying for the chance to potentially do nothing. Which is odd. So I think 80 is fine.

The last one, however, has a definite effect that is always on and can be priced. Its cost should be .1yx or (10%yx) where y is equal to how many elements you are adding, and x is equal to the base cost of the barrier in question. You can also use a simplified "See effect" and then explain that for each element you are adding, this jutsu costs 10% of the cost of the barrier. You are just paying that effect FOR them. But it still needs to be paid for.

Er, I think I see where you're coming from with the last technique but wouldn't that only be applicable to additional effects being applied to a Barrier for the whole 90%/10% split? I didn't think adding the Basic Elements to the Barrier's type would constitute as additional effects. I mean, it's similar to making a Barrier technique that has every Basic and Combinatorial for its type, which wouldn't cost anything extra in itself. I've adjusted the technique's effect slightly to perhaps make it clearer, though I dunno if it's a manner of a technicality that is the issue there or not.

Edit: Just changed it to a Shield technique.

Edited by Celes

Kouta was correct here regarding the third technique. If you're adding multiple subtle elements to a jutsu, that has a cost. A single barrier or shield with a single element would not run into the problem of paying for the elements because... it's a single element. To use 5 elements with this would increase the cost by 40%.

The technique he was referring to was changed as edited in my last post. Also the third technique isn't applying the other Subtle Elements. Only the first since there's no clause mentioning applying additional Subtle Element bonuses. Unless you're referring to something else meriting that cost?

Edit: Changed the third technique to apply all Subtle Elements now.

Edited by Celes

Sorry, I was under the impression an 'or' clause technique involved a technique that does one thing or another, but both options would cost the same as far as Chakra/Stamina and JP goes, justifying the actual doubled JP cost since it's like two techniques in one. This is more of an optional effect similar to like Katon; Endan for example with its optional damage pumping that makes its JP cost based on what the cost would be if the optional effect wasn't optional.

We've moved away from optional costs in that manner in the years since (that technique's going on 6 years old now), if that technique was made today the cost would have been prohibitive... because it's technically something like 150 different techniques all with slightly different damage.

Yeah, it was the only one I could remember off the top of my head as a example but could've sworn I'd seen similar techniques more recently with only one optional choice versus the several in Endan. Just gonna scrap that part though.

Edit: Found the exact example. Optional increase in base cost for x effect like the Katsuyu; Immense Network Healing technique.

Edited by Celes

Augmentation: Can you to specify that this can't cause a technique to exceed its cost caps? 

Convergence: If this can be used in the Setup or the Main Phase, it needs to double its JP (same theory as multi-phase Shields/Barriers).

Fortification: The pump option has to be considered as a separate jutsu; it's 6JP for the base effect, and pumping it would make 364CP (8JP). So, the total JP cost would be 14JP.

This is going to seem like a weird one to say, but instead of saying 'a target' can you say 'an ally'. Otherwise these are a buff on yourself/your clones or whatever, but potentially a debuff on an enemy who is using all five subtles for specific reasons. So you'd be doubling them again for the target friend/target enemy interactions, and given that target enemy will almost never come up, I think it's safer to just eliminate it as a possibility. I think overall these are fine with that change.