Toroi21

Katto Clan Heriditary Skill

Shiryōnoejiki Ritual

Description: A complex ritual, almost religious in nature. A Katto Clan Member will create a shrine commemorating the lost soul filled with gifts, food and drinks in order to appease it. In exchange, the spirit usually trains the clan member as best as they can. It is very rare that they refuse, although it can happen...

Effect: The user may select what Jounin-taught skills or techniques they learn, granted they receive permission from the creator first. They may also select skills that require a GM to teach, granted they recieve permission from the creator first. 

Restrictions: Katto Clan [Heriditary]

Cost: -1

Edited by Toroi21

What I want to do with Shiryōnoejiki Ritual

Summoner

1. User must possess an Item the Deceased Character had during their life time. 
  2. User may not summon Deceased characters above the rank of Jounin without permission from Kage. Kage may need to be present in cases of S-rank criminals/members of the ANBU/Kage.
  3. Character may not summon cannon Naruto Characters such as Naruto, Itachi, Sakura, etc.
  4. If taken with path of the pupil, summoner may take the advanced path of the Deceased character, if they fulfill the requisites.
  5. May learn Information from Deceased Characters as if they were alive. 
  6. May summon deceased NPC's or deceased PC's 
  7. Must have explicit staff permission to train with deceased characters.

Deceased PC

1. Controlled by a GM
  2. Must have permission from the original owner of the PC
  3. Character sheet at time of death will be used. Any skills and stats listed will be used. Health is considered at 1 HP and 1 Ghost HP, but can be dissipated immediately with any technique that deals Ghost Health Damage. 
  4. GM chooses what skills you may learn.
  5. May not teach user bloodline/hereditary skills/techniques. May not teach skills or techniques that clan-locked other than those of the Katto clan, if they should know such skills or techniques.

Deceased NPC

1. See above
  2. GM chooses what stats and skills the NPC may have. 
Edited by Toroi21

So this seems like an awful lot of loopholes to achieve something that could be easily done by politely asking. Stepping into ghosts risks pinging my Ikiryo or Tony's Abe, as you well know, and while I don't think your representation here is stepping on my grounds (Ikiryo see spirits but don't really communicate with them), I'm not so flush on Abe lore but it feels like they have a spirit guide, people have likened them to Shaman King, which it feels like summoning a spirit guide is stepping at least thematically on their toes.

Mechanically, what this does is in theory give you slightly more control over the NPCs you interact with. In practice, you can achieve the same things by politely asking someone.

So I hate to say it, but I don't see a point in this. Surely you can do something mechanically more meaningful? I don't want to throw ideas at you just yet because I want to see what you've got in store, but as is, I'm just really struggling to see why this exists other than you like the movie. But that doesn't mean drop it and walk, it means look over it and think what more can be done.

Had a flash of brilliance. Or stupidity. You decide. 

• Changed the effect from choosing the skills jounin teach you to you choosing if the skill gets a -1SP discount to a minimum of 1. Must be a deceased character that teaches it.
  • Gave it two uses for non-pupils and gave it four for path of pupils. 
  • Overzealous student is now zombie-eyed student. i like the dead connection and the way it represents stress... cause you know.... school. lol

How does that sound? (im thinking i should make the original skill -2 instead of -1 if im to go this route but i'm keeping the original costing until you decide what you want to do with the idea. It might not even work after all)

EDIT: ALSO, just realized. Don't GMs have to get permission to teach most skills? Plus, I'm not the one choosing the skills, they are. Jounin-taught SP are chosen by the GM/PC who must have permission from the skill curator in order to teach it. Plus there's already a clause that prevents you from taking anything without a curator's permission:

Spoiler

Shiryōnoejiki Ritual

Description: A complex ritual, almost religious in nature. A Katto Clan Member will create a shrine commemorating the lost soul filled with gifts, food and drinks in order to appease it. In exchange, the spirit usually trains the clan member as best as they can. It is very rare that they refuse, although it can happen...

Effect: The user may now be taught Jounin-taught Skills and Techniques by deceased characters. Deceased characters are under the control of a staff member during this training. The user may select two (2) skills taught by the Deceased Character. These two skills are reduced in SP costs by -1 to a minimum of -1 SP. The user may not be trained in any ability whose curator has not given them permission to purchase it. The deceased character may not teach clan skills or bloodline skills. 

ANOTHER EDIT: Tony said it could work as a small clan skill, (the fluff). He didn't say anything about mechanics or anything, but he did say that being taught by dead people is a valid fluff thing that could work if done correctly. Ghosts are in this game in multiple instances, however I believe what I'm doing is slightly different. I may need to change the wording so that it cannot include the Abe's little side ghost/yokai type thing or your Ikiryo clan ghost bois as well. Maybe something with the terms "characters must be dead in terms of NA graveyard?" I dunno.

Spoiler

@cntrstrk14Last Thursday at 12:16 PM

I think that is workable as a small clan mechanic. Like a Hereditary skill or something

*via discord*

Granted, I'm not sure how to add the Ryo part we've discussed, in order to set up the beginning of the training.

Edited by Toroi21

I don't think you're stepping on Ikiryo much at all, ghosts are public domain. It was specifically the Abe and a spirit guide thing I was concerned about. If Tony is down to ghost clown then to clown town we go down. And Ikiryo aren't dead, their eyes are dead. They themselves are still very much alive, they just shift into a ghost form. The Abe spirit is another bag of fish altogether you'd need Tony to weigh in on that.

THAT SAID, you've gone from 'I want jounin training but thematically with a ghost' which honestly you could do without a skill probably, some will of fire nonsense or what have you. Now you're sitting on 'I want a global SP reduction for all my jounin training'. That's possibly a little much in theory. In practice, literally all you are doing is spending 1 SP to save two jounin taught SP. An it caps out at 2SP for 4 jounin taught SP. Overall I don't think that's too much of a problem.

But we hit this issue where you're stating 'GMs decided what you get, you can't choose,' This explicitly allows you to choose what you train, at least for the 2/4 JSP you're expending within the realms of this skill. So getting two skills of your choice from deceased NPCs who can in theory possess anything, we're stepping into the realm of this is no longer about special training, just giving you access to whatever you want at gennin rank. If you intend this to be pegged to GM choice, you need to explicitly state that.

Plus, and here's the bit that really irks me, can't make ghosts of jounin rank or higher without teacher permission, presumably as a gennin that is. But if the ghost isn't jounin rank or higher, they can't jounin train you. So why not get rid of that and just peg the skill to Chuunin, or remove that altogether? Is there planned a mechanic where the ghost interacts with the physical world in battle, because that is Abe territory, and if they can't there's no real harm in having an extra teacher. 

Honestly I'd probably be willing to allow this through as a more meaningful "Skills paid for with Jounin-Taught SP cost -1 SP, to a minimum of 1 SP.' As the sum entirety of the effect, it rewards you for doing multiple smaller trainings than just one big one, and stacks well with path of the pupil. Moreover, you can shift the ghost stuff to an RP effect or just put it in the description, and then you just tell a GM 'Hey, I need a ghost for training' and they can push it out. You're aiming for an area of the game designed to give you as little choice as possible to avoid abuses, so it's going to be rough ground, but if that's your desire then fine. I'd change it to what I said above and make it -2, instead of having two -1 skills.

Notes:

1. No more rank requirements to summon Jounin teacher. I was just being safe RP wise, but if you think it's gucci, then it's gucci!
  2. No. There's no planned interaction with the real world. So yea, it's just an extra teacher. Boom! 
  3. -2 is better than -1. Sooooo I'll take it!

Editted all of these things accordingly! Ready once again for review!

Edited by Toroi21

I don't think "Spend SP to get more SP" is a design philosophy we want here. This has been attempted elsewhere and has not been permitted. The concept here (learn from the dead) is super cool, but we're going to have to look at different mechanics.

My suggestions would be one of the following:

1) Rather than adjusting SP costs, I think it would be more appropriate for this to influence how easily skills are learned (reduce the post requirements for training skills or jutsu) I'd honestly be fine cutting the post requirements in half for 1SP here as it's a hereditary skill, since you're inheriting them through a ritual rather than actively training in order to master it independently.

1.5) Like 1, but if we bumped the price to 2SP, I'd honestly say I'd be okay with this applying to all skills learned in this manner (not just Jonin-Taught SP/JP only), since it requires GM intervention/approval anyway, and in this case I would also apply it to Time requirements, slicing them in half due to the inherited nature of the power here. You're not 'training' the skills, you're having the skills 'given' to you.

2) Don't require a GM, but don't get any other benefits. It's a 1SP skill that lets you 'Jonin-Teach' yourself anything as long as you have approval to take the skills/jutsu. Like Private Contractor, but for Jonin-Training rather than Missions. It's a (super) convenience skill, but doesn't grant a lot of power that you couldn't get with a little extra work anyway.

Edited by Yurane

I think there's a misunderstanding here, so allow me to elaborate:  Pick one of the choices I suggested before (or come up with your own, it's ultimately your creation and you don't need to use my suggestions if they would create something you don't want), don't try and cram them all in.

As is, this is two hereditary-level powers (Double speed jutsu/skill training, and being able to train without external assistance), and clans can only have one