Toroi21

Super Strike Learning Skills

Spoiler

"Forgive me for what I am about to do" - Princess

(yes i'm stealing this quote)

Barrier Study

Description: The user of this skill must learn the correct angles needed to implement attack points found on most shields and walls in order to quickly turn a defensive structure into a deadly weapon. Sometimes snatching a big chunk of your own shield and beating the opponent over the head is the best form of attack a shinobi can come up with, and even if it isn't, it sure as hell is the most resourceful. Typically, this form of learning is a more hands-off approach, as many different measurements and angles are taken into consideration and learned by the shinobi before physical practice can even commence. Once a shinobi can fully memorize the strongest points and weakest points in their barrier, they may begin to learn how to pick up that barrier in order to expend the least amount of energy possible in order to use it. 

Effect: This Character may purchase "Fluid Form" if they meet all skill requirements. 

Requirements: 20-post Training, Chuunin+

Cost: 0

Fluid Form

Description: Once the observation and study of barriers is completed, the user may move on to learning the unorthodox fighting method. In this portion of the training, the user typically attempts to implement what they have learned during their time studying walls and shields into a more physical training method. By doing so, they perfect their form of swinging these defensive chunks, creating more fluid attacks in order to greatly increase their offensive capabilities. In addition, the effectiveness of their ninjutsu greatly increases. 

Effect: The user may sacrifice a setup phase in order to sacrifice the HP of one barrier they have active on the field. By doing so, the user may utilize the HP from that barrier in order to pay for any attack of the same type and rank of the barrier, so long as it's not another barrier. For this purpose, two barrier health is equal to one chakra point. Any unused Barrier HP is considered unused, and is returned to the barrier at the end of that turn's main phase. This skill may not be used on shields, or on barriers not created by a technique. In addition, this skill is usable two (2) times per battle. 

Requirements: 15-post Training, "Barrier Study"

Cost: -4 SP

Edited by Toroi21

another weird Toroi idea:

Things to note. (Basically, this is how i want this to work):

I want this to be able to pay for techniques. You use chakra on a barrier to create health, but now I'm low on Chakra. If this barrier is gonna be used up on the next turn anyway... why not use it to pay for my technique? That's the idea with this. I'm willing to negotiate price, and requirements and etc, but I feel like it can be a cool way to incorporate barriers into the game, where they aren't just big 'ol shields that we can't do anything else with. Captain America gets to throw his shield ... why can't I?

Maths:

I just assumed Health was a more precious resource when it came to this, but i do understand if you as the staff think it should be the other way around. I gave 1 health per 2 chakra, as that is how ninjutsu typically is paid, and I'm sure i saw princess and jeannie use that in some of their techniques. Though i could be wrong in reference to barriers, as barrier health is MUCH less important than good ol' character health. 

Edited by Toroi21

Barriers already end up with 2 health for 1 chakra @ Jonin/Sennin, before applying modifiers, so doubling it again puts this at 4+ chakra for every 1 chakra you spend.

That gets really obscene, really fast, since this also doesn't limit the scale of the barriers it can be used with, and can be used indefinitely for just a setup phase (which, while useful, is not THAT valuable of a resource).

As is, this is essentially infinite value, so... no.

Edited by Yurane

added a clause that limits it to same rank as the barrier. Also took out the clause that allows for damage to be given based on the barrier. In addition, health and chakra ratio is switched.

Add a clause that this cannot be used to create yet more barriers maybe. Because that's where your infinite value comes from.

Barrier that costs 200 chakra gives you a barrier with 400+mods health (let's assume your total nin mod is +200). So you've got 600 health.

Now you use fluid form to create a new barrier, the exact same barrier in fact, that costs 200. You use the 400 barrier health from the original one to create a new barrier with 400 base health +200 in mods. Then if you didn't get hit for whatever reason, you retain the 200 health from your original barrier.

Then, the next turn, you now have 400 health worth of barrier you didn't pay for, it's purely in mods. So you make another barrier, with the 400 health. If you pull this with a 3 turn quarantine, you're looking at, for 200 chakra, a grand total of 1,400 barrier health. For 200 chakra. 

Do you see why the scaling is potentially crazy now?

Duhh it also needs to state not a shield, my bad for forgetting that. Then slap two uses per battle on it and I think we're good.

Though hot damn seeing Kazanshin be a thing, it might also benefit from clarifying it can only burn a barrier created by a technique, to avoid using free items or bloodline skills to generate free chakra.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:32 PM, Toroi21 said:

The user may sacrifice a setup phase in order to sacrifice the HP of one barrier they have active on the field. By doing so, the user may utilize the HP from that barrier in order to pay for any attack of the same type and rank of the barrier, so long as it's not another barrier. For this purpose, two barrier health is equal to one chakra point. Any unused Barrier HP is considered unused, and is returned to the barrier at the end of that turn's main phase. This skill may not be used on shields. In addition, this skill is usable two (2) times per battle. 

So I don't see the changes that princess requested? That being said, I rewrote the beginning to be a bit more clear/concise/cleaner-ish, but I bolded the part that should be included in the ability:

The user may use their set-up phase in order to sacrifice the HP of one (1) barrier they have active on the field that was created by a technique. The HP sacrificed this way can be used to pay for any attack that is of the same type and rank of the barrier, so long as its not another barrier."

Continuing forward, I think this:

"Any unused Barrier HP is considered unused, and is returned to the barrier at the end of that turn's main phase."

Can be re-written as: "Any Barrier HP not used by this ability is returned to the barrier at the end of the user's main phase during the turn this ability was used."

Yo. So, Princess requested that the skill is limited to shields and that the skill should say so, and I DID apply those changes. They were deep in the cut, but nonetheless there for all to see. (See below)

Spoiler

Fluid Form

Description: Once the observation and study of barriers is completed, the user may move on to learning the unorthodox fighting method. In this portion of the training, the user typically attempts to implement what they have learned during their time studying walls and shields into a more physical training method. By doing so, they perfect their form of swinging these defensive chunks, creating more fluid attacks in order to greatly increase their offensive capabilities. In addition, the effectiveness of their ninjutsu greatly increases. 

Effect: The user may sacrifice a setup phase in order to sacrifice the HP of one barrier they have active on the field. By doing so, the user may utilize the HP from that barrier in order to pay for any attack of the same type and rank of the barrier, so long as it's not another barrier. For this purpose, two barrier health is equal to one chakra point. Any unused Barrier HP is considered unused, and is returned to the barrier at the end of that turn's main phase. This skill may not be used on shields. In addition his skill is usable two (2) times per battle. 

Requirements: 15-post Training, "Barrier Study"

Cost: -4 SP

That said, I've taken a look at switching the words around as you've requested and I like your wording a bit better than my own. Therefore, snatchies. I think this is finally an approvable skill. 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:23 PM, Princess said:

Though hot damn seeing Kazanshin be a thing, it might also benefit from clarifying it can only burn a barrier created by a technique, to avoid using free items or bloodline skills to generate free chakra.

You did put shields, correct. I should have been more clear, my fault on that one. I was referring to the above statement from princess, stating that it can only burn barriers created by techniques. Hence, why in my wording I did put 'active on the field that was created by a technique.' Which I agree with, so I think if we put that clause in there this is good to go.