almondsAndRain

The Blooming Horrors Series; Genin Set 「I」

Blooming Horrors; Withering Grasp 「I」

Type: Ninjutsu [ Plant ].

Cost: 80 Chakra.

Damage: 20.

Effects:  This technique requires both a Setup Phase action and a Main Phase action to perform, and may be performed twice per battle.

If this technique hits its target, one Genin rank Plant technique the user performs next turn that targets the same character may be treated as if it were a Dynamic Trap with its conditions met. The target treats all attacks that were affected by this technique as if they were the same technique for the purposes of the Dynamic Trap bonus. The user is always treated as a Genin when determining the bonus granted by this technique.

Description: Saku Kyōfu; Koshi Haji.

When the last seal is performed, the user stomps on the ground, their Chakra being carried through the resulting shockwave. It settles under the target, infesting any and all plant life beneath their feet, before forcing the plants to erupt from the Earth. They wrap themselves around the target and squeeze, hoping to crush them. These vines last only a moment, but they are easily manipulated by Plant Chakra, allowing for an easy follow-up attack.

Technique Points: 4.

Blooming Horrors; Budding Romance 「I」

Cost: 80 Chakra.

Damage: 20.

Effect: The target is inflicted with one turn of Charmed. When the user is hit by a character Charmed by this attack, they may not ignore a status effect that attack inflicts; instead, the user may pay .5X Chakra to add one turn of a status effect that the Charmed character inflicted on them with that attack to a Plant Element attack that the user performs this turn. X is equal to the CP cost of the status effect and may never be higher than 40.

This technique may be performed twice per battle.

Description: Saku Kyōfu; Shinshin Koiji.

Unlike most Plant techniques, Budding Romance does not directly manipulate flowers, or seeds, or even trees - instead, the user breathes out a cloud of Chakra-laced pheromones that envelopes their target. If they fall victim to its effects, the sudden rush of fear they feel for the user weakens their counter-attacks. Some of these pheromones travel through the target's own Chakra, and strengthens the user's own attacks when contact is made.

Blooming Horrors; Devouring Thorns 「I」

Cost: X Chakra.

Effect: The user selects a Set Trap on the field with a base cost of X. That Set Trap may never be activated. X may never be higher than 80. 

This technique may be used twice per battle.

Description: Saku Kyōfu; Kūfuku no Keikyoku.

Best used by Clones, the one performing this technique launches a small ball of Plant Chakra from their finger at the targeted trap. When hit, a mass of moss, vines, thorns, and quickly spread along the target, countering any Chakra within it and rendering it inoperable.

Edited by almondsAndRain
  • Like 2

These are some general plant techs I put together because @Cloudnine mentioned wanting some in generalchat. I lack a druid character and so won't be using them myself, but feel free to take them if you want them. The only condition is that you please let me know if you do, because I want to keep you up to date if anything changes.

Also, @fuhgahkra, I was joking in generalchat the other day, you can use these xD

I'll make Chuunin versions after they get approved, and Jonin as the druids actually get near that rank.

I'm gonna make some more plant stuff later, but they'll probably just be main site stuff.

I have no idea if the Japanese translations are any good, if you've got suggestions I'm more than open to them. The descriptions ain't great because my head is killing me, I might come back and fix them later, I might forget this exists until someone comments on them in six months. C'est la NA.

Withering Grasp

Dynamic Trap bonuses are equal to 8% per ninja rank of the user, so what we're looking at here is a once per battle +80 Accuracy and once per battle +60 Accuracy after the penalty kicks in, except the bonus stacks with other Accuracy bonuses past the 1.5x cap. The way this is written, it will never scale up past that, but you can still boost it up further with skills and such. I gave a slight discount to the ACC boost because this is wholly worse than just boosting your Accuracy by 80 for one turn, since this only applies to one attack, hence to 20 damage. The Genin-only restriction is because D Trap bonuses scale as you gain ranks, which can cause this to break the CP cap in half.

I'm not one hundred percent sold on the Plant and Genin limits being good enough restrictions, here, but I'd like a second opinion if possible. I'll make some mitigating factors if I need to, and if you don't like this ability as it is, please suggest some too so we can get these approved for our plant buddies to have fun with.

Budding Romance

20 Chakra and the loss of a potent defense felt fair for the ability to spend up to another 20 for a status effect. There is a good amount of counterplay here - your opponent decides what statuses to hit you with - so I don't think this is an issue. At Chuunin, I'll have this cost more but not lose the status effect removal, but right now the CP cap is keeping me from getting too adventurous. Will probably re-use this in my own stuff later, it's cool.

Devouring Thorns

Seems simple enough? If this gets app'd, I'll probably reuse the effect later in my own techs and stuff too, it's hot and I think it's not so big a deal that it's design space should be restricted.

Edited by almondsAndRain
  • Thanks 1

Withering  Grasp: Only thing I'd say is this is actually a pretty big effect.  You're essentially dealing damage and setting a trap in the same swing, then triggering it in the next turn with a guaranteed trigger. So I think maybe if we go oh this thing is big, let's eat the setup phase too. So you're still paying some kind of action economy for what you're doing.

Budding Romance: This one isn't clear in its wording. I think the goal is to inflict one of the status effects that hits the user of Budding Romance upon the  charmed attacker. Problem is, that's an auto hit, which is a no no. So if that's not the intention, can you clarify the text a bit?

Devouring Thorns: I hate  it. Approved.

Withering Grasp: Yep, I'm fine with that. It now uses your Setup Phase action as well.

Budding Romance: Correct, that is not the intention. I dunno how, but I missed like… a whole half sentence when writing that. Probably got cut accidentally while it was being changed and I didn't notice. The intention is that, instead of ignoring a status effect that a Charmed opponent inflicts you with, you can pay Chakra to add the Status to your own attack that you perform that turn. 

Devouring Thorns: Make some too, spread the hate.

Changes made!