Hardcore Skittlez

Nameless Discipline

Nameless Discipline

Effect: This character now gains one 'Formless Charge' when they successfully strike with a 'Style-less' Taijutsu. Up to five (5) 'Formless Charges' may be spent in the Main Phase as a Free Action to reduce the base cost of a 'Style-less' Taijutsu technique by 10+10x Stamina for each charge spent, wherein 'x' is equal to a number relative to the user's shinobi rank (Genin: 1, Chūnin: 2, Jōnin: 3, Sennin: 4). This is considered a Taijutsu Style.

Description: Though it is normally preferable for an individual to pledge themselves to the mastery of a particular style, it is occasionally advantageous for a skilled shinobi to make use of a blend of techniques and methods to construct their own taijutsu form. This method has no proper name, but is known to encourage the most efficient use of the practitioner's resources.

Cost: -1

Edited by Hardcore Skittlez

Designer's Notes

So this is like... a style-lite. I figure that Martial Artist can indicate 'style-less', so why not something like this? I can change this up to make it seem less like a style, but the effect would ultimately remain the same. I guess it's just turning your style-less stuff into a style or something.

edit; Please PM before you take this, just so I know who to contact in case of changes! Otherwise, this is general!

Edited by Hardcore Skittlez

Does this count as a Style? It doesn't following the naming convention of Styles so might be good to say so? Mostly concerned that it follows the rule that doesn't let you have charges of multiple styles at once.

For the cost reduction, the math is interesting. The fact that it gives 20+ encourages a player to do this in multiple chunks rather than one large one at a time. At lowest rank it gives 30 CP and +10 CP per each after, which no matter how you slice it is under the 40 CP target. However at the higher end you get 60 CP and then 40 CP for each above which is above and beyond the target. I'm not sure if I am okay with the top tier numbers since it is always 40 or greater per charge no matter how you spend it, but would like other opinions.

I had remembered something about charges being worth more as you got to higher ranks, but I was misremembering a different line in here about techniques costing more to generate more charges. That being said, I went ahead and dropped the base value down to 10 + 10x, so you will be getting 20 per charge spent at Genin and 50 per charge spent at Sennin. This is a little higher than the value of a charge still on the top end, but I don't think it's still as strong as some other styles out there. My goal here is to make this universally useful to a style-less primary user while not being quite as strong as a full style, given that it can apply to any style-less taijutsu.

To that end, I didn't want to make this into a proper style, but since I had not considered someone ramping this -and- style charges up at once... I've turned this into a style.