The Tenjin Clan

X4uxnyN.gif

lBOJUrG.png The Tenjin Clan lBOJUrG.png

Country Of Origin:

18px-Land_of_Sunshine1.png Nichi No Kuni | The Land Of The Sun | 日の国

Village Of Residence:

TTftiFt.png Kumogakure No Sato | The Village Hidden In The Clouds | 雲隠れの里

Clan Progenitor:

Tenjin Akihiko: Known as the ‘Three-Eyed Priest’ during his life, Tenjin Akihiko was fiercely devoted to the practice of Ninshu. As the world turned away from the practice, Akihiko grew disgusted and traveled far overseas on a pilgrimage, where he eventually founded the Tenjin clan.

Clan Head:

Tenjin Kyoshi: Though he is only twenty, Tenjin Kyoshi is currently the oldest and most powerful living member of the Tenjin clan and is thereby considered the leader of the survivor’s currently residing within Kumogakure. As leader he is capable, but he is unskilled in politics.

Clan Status:

Obscure: Having spent many generations across the ocean and away from the five great shinobi nations, the Tenjin clan has faded deep into history. With the return of surviving members of the Tenjin clan, they have begun eking out an existence for themselves.

Clan Age:

Ancient: The Tenjin clan once traced their origins deep into the history of the shinobi world. It was believed that the clan was related to the Otsutsuki for in their earliest days the Tenjin were ardent practitioners of the Ninshu tradition.

Clan Emblem:

3HQfftE.png

Clan Kekkei Genkai:

dQorPV9.png Tenkingan | Heavenly Golden Eye | 天金眼

Clan Element:

A85cbEw.png Kōton | Light Release | 光遁

Edited by Cellar Door

lBOJUrG.png Clan History:

Having existed since the birth of the practice of Ninshu, the Tenjin clan developed into ninja only after the first Tenjin traveled far away from the continent of the Five Great Shinobi Nations. Tenjin Akihiko lived a life of monastic enlightenment, striving to achieve peace through Ninshu. It was only after it became apparent to him that his fellow practitioners sought to pervert Ninshu into a weapon that he traveled far and wide, seeking a place where he might practice the tradition in its purest form.

For many years Akihiko wandered alone, gaining the moniker of ‘The Three-Eyed Monk’ because of the strange mutation he had been born with. He wandered the seas and lands of the world, and eventually settled in a place that the natives referred to as the Land of the Sun. From the locals there, he eventually found a bride, and began the long, long process of teaching Ninshu to his offspring.

Over the course of generations, ninjutsu encroached on the teachings of the Tenjin clan even in the peaceful meadows of the Sun Country. Nearby nations formed their own hidden villages, and eventually sought to steal the unnatural powers of the Tenkingan from the peaceful clan. Of course the Tenjin were not defenseless, and in their own way, they began crafting ninjutsu of their own.

The clan came to be known as shinobi-monks who utilized their mystical third eyes as a means of piercing illusion and generating unrelenting beams of radiance. Their reputation became a fierce one, and eventually peace accords were struck with nearby villages on their continent. Until a single Daimyo chose to purchase the services of several villages, he united them in a mission to acquire the Tenkingan of every member of the clan.

Despite their wisdom and power, the leaders of the Tenjin clan had never expected such a bold and overt attack. The only option was to defend their clan holdings and buy time for the youngest members of the clan to escape. They were sent back to the lands that their progenitor had forsaken in eras past with the instructions not to return. They would find a new home and the Tenjin clan would live on.

With the knowledge that any who survived the attack would find them, the youngest members of the clan traveled overseas, eventually coming to ground in the Land of Lightning, where they were picked up by local shinobi and taken before the Raikage. As half-starved refugees, they were given the option of settling down within the village which they graciously accepted. Since then, the young members of the clan have taken well to the high atmosphere life of Kumogakure.

lBOJUrG.png Cultural Information:

Clan Traits:

• Most members of the Tenjin clan possess skin that ranges from tan to dusky. Their hair tends to be light blonde, ranging from light yellows all the way to pure white. Physically, Tenjin tend to be statuesque people, that are tall of frame with strong jawlines. Their most striking feature though, is the vertical eyelid that exists in the middle of their forehead. The middle eye is known as the Tenkingan and it is always a brilliant golden color, often in contrast to the commonly violet eyes of most clan members.

Clan Outlook:

• Perhaps because of their roots in the tradition of Ninshu, the Tenjin clan as a whole was possessed of a very benevolent spirit. Though most of the clan has been destroyed, the remaining members are also by and large a collection of young people who believe strongly in right and wrong. In a few individuals, the bloodshed that their clan has faced has hardened their hearts, creating some who believe a more militant outlook is necessary to ensure the clan's survival.

Clan Professions:

• With the vast majority of the Tenjin clan being younger than the age of majority, most clansmen are either genin level shinobi, or have been apprenticed to craftsmen and artisans to learn their trades. The eldest surviving members of the clan serve as leaders for the younger brethren, but most are also shinobi.

Clan Estates:

• As relatively recent arrivals to Kumogakure, the refugees of the Tenjin clan have been granted a collection of buildings to call their own. Aside from the clan's renovations to let in more sunlight, the buildings are more or less unremarkable.

Clan Relations:

Edited by Cellar Door

lBOJUrG.png Clan Rules:

Clan Positions:

• The Tenjin clan has a maximum of three available positions at any time.

• Upon reaching a total of three active characters, the clan will be locked and new character applications will not be accepted.

Clan Character Rules:

• Tenjin characters may never possess the skill 'Feeble Minded'.

• A maximum of one character within the Tenjin clan may be created outside of Kumogakure without being considered a missing ninja.

• Any missing ninja of the Tenjin clan will be marked for death by the clan, and village.

Clan Skill & Technique Rules:

• Tenjin clan skills may be taught to non-clan members with permission from the clan head. Failure to gain permission may result in expulsion from the clan or branding as a missing-nin.

• Tenjin clan skills may be taught to non-clan members with permission from the clan head. Failure to gain permission may result in expulsion from the clan or branding as a missing-nin.

Clan Roster:

• Position One | Open

• Position Two | Open

• Position Three | Open

Edited by Cellar Door

Designer's Notes:

Konoha and Kiri have a ton of cool clans, but with the clearing out of the inactive ones, the other villages are severely lacking. I figured I'd work on a few. I always liked Rilon's work and I recently spoke with him about the Kizai and a few others. This was one of the ones that he told me I could work on and adapt as I saw fit.

So, this wasn't really Rilon's to sign away. It was a collaborative effort between him and I before he left, and upon leaving, I assumed the sole mantle of it. That said, I'm not opposed to this getting a fresh coat of paint, but I have a critical question to ask:

Why?

This isn't a minor face-lift to move some previously "custom-fabricated" locations to similar but better-established locations. You've entirely changed their history, their country of origin-- basically everything here. If you want to completely change everything about the clan history and culture, wouldn't it be more appropriate to create a new clan?

There is literally no notation of your work anywhere in the clan thread. I saw that you made the bloodline, so I deliberately made a different one to avoid conflict with you, but how in the hell is anyone supposed to know what's yours if there is no way to tell?

I chose to alter the Tenjin significantly, because I thought it was more flavorful. They originally had very little connection to the universe, so I provided some through Ninshu while also creating some content of my own. We also didn't have any dark-skinned clans on NA. So... it was just my choice because Dex said I could do pretty much whatever.

I have a concern about Light based clans. The one we have in canon is the Daikomichi, made by Aberacht, and is currently only available for NPC use partly because of Aberacht's wishes and partly because it is just out of date and dead. However, the idea of a Tier 4 Combinatorial clan worries me and it's something that if we do one there should only be ONE. How do you plan to use Light overall for the clan?

I don't understand the concern. Despite the fact that light and dark are the strongest elements they are still balanced to be a playable element. This clan's mode of gaining light and whether or not that mode is balanced should be the issue, not that it is something they possess. By the same token we don't want too many clans to have water either, but of those water clans that exist, they don't get asked how each one specifically plans to use the water, since invariably jutsu all boil down to about the same thing. Since this would be the only currently active clan that possesses light as its clan element, it doesn't seem like an issue. (It seems like most people try and ignore the Daikomichi anyway.)

I don't really know what kind of jutsu I'd be making for them yet, but I don't see why we shouldn't give some elements or powers that are interesting or unorthodox to places that don't have a lot going for them in the way of clans. Iwa has maybe one canon clan? Kumo has one canon clan that we know nothing about. Suna has one canon clan that never even got a name; While Konoha is full of crazy stuff, Kiri's got plenty of clans, and Oto could take inspiration from all of the Sound 4 to make a decent stable of interesting clans.

If we're gonna give leeway somewhere, we should give it toward clans that are specifically purposed at making the villages that got backgrounded in canon more appealing for players.

EDIT: Short answer, dunno yet.

Edited by Cellar Door

We should most certainly should be asking water clan #4 what they are bringing to the table, otherwise they should roll in with another water clan instead of making their own. That is part of our role, making sure members know what is out there, that they don't make copies of things already existing and that we guide them to condense creations.

Specifically for this clan: Tier 3 and Tier 4 combinatorials catch my attention because they are not available to players when they start at level 1. So I want to make sure that if you are putting the element on a clan that there is some thought put into why. When you put light as the clan element for this clan you make it harder for other clans to ever have light as their element. 

I'm not sure where or why the discussion of villages came in. I agree that Kumo, Iwa and Suna could use all the clan love they can get, but my question I asked doesn't really pertain to whether they are Kumo, Konoha, or Germany. 

Let me lead with a better starting question: Will the clan grant early access to light or are light techniques something that defines their high end kit and the player is expected to get there on their own? 

Part of their bloodline.

Tenkingan Radiance - Rank [ - ]

Effect: While the Tenkingan is active, a character with this skill may perform techniques of the ‘Light’ element. The effects of the Light Element are reduced to 20x%, with ‘x’ being equivalent to the character’s rank in this skill. If a character possesses 5 ranks in this skill they may purchase the skill ‘Combinatorial; Light’ for the cost of 0 SP, and while the Tenkingan is active ‘Light’ element techniques may be used consecutively.

Description: The most easily recognizable ability of the Tenkingan is its ability to generate light. It is commonly believed that the Tenkingan acts as a focusing point for the chakra in the wielder's body and when it is active, it allows them to pass chakra through it that returns to the body in the form light natured chakra. Unlike those who master it naturally, Tenkingan wielders must gradually becomes skilled in the usage of the element, and often cannot use it at all without the assistance of their kekkei genkai.

Total Ranks: 5

Cost: -1

Full bloodline here

There's discussion taking place in the thread about that branch.

I personally feel that so long as the curatorship from Rilon to KC isn't an issue amongst the administration, there's nothing wrong with this. Yes, it specializes in light, but it does so from an aspect of requiring a bloodline being activated to do it, up until the point it's mastered.

The lore's only issue for me is to a point the idea of another ninja continent existing somewhere which has a similar set up, and which despite the power of the ninja all over the place, is relatively unknown and has basically no real bloodlines or 'major' tier ninja villages, though given the tendency of members (and the fandom of Naruto as a whole) to make up new minor villages and countries, I don't see it as -that- much of an issue.

That said:

APPROVED.

Canonically there are other continents with samurai and ninja villages. The land of demons already exists on NA and that's on another continent and has ninja.

Wasn't aware that canon had revealed that. But if that's the case, then there's no qualms I have.

Approved

Before I move this, though, I have a question about:

Failure to gain permission may result in expulsion from the clan 

^ That line. I haven't ever seen someone get kicked out of a clan before, so could you elaborate on what that means for members that are kicked out? Basically, is it just an RP thing, or do you lose access to clan skills/techs?