PandaMattMatt

Light of the Hanamajo Series [Resub]

Flower Release: Light of the Hanamajo

Soton: Hanamajo no Hikari | 花魔女の光
Type: Ninjutsu [Plant | Medical | Hanamajo]
Cost: 60 Chakra
Heal: 60 Health
Effect: If the total amount of health to be healed by this technique exceeds the maximum health of the target, the user is healed for the remaining amount of health.
Description: The staple of the Hanamajo Clan Medic. Named after the clan itself, this jutsu is the perfect display of the healing power of plants and flowers. Forming a single seal, the User’s hands become enveloped in a green so vibrant it teems with the life energy of plants. This technique is one of the first to be taught to all Hanamajo who have even a slight interest in the medical arts. While it doesn’t appear to be any different from a standard medical technique, it can often be utilized to greater efficiency, by recycling excess medical chakra back into the Hanamajo, healing their own wounds.

Flower Release: Light of the Hanamajo (II)

Soton: Hanamajo no Hikari (II)| 花魔女の光 (II)
Cost: 120 Chakra
Heal: 120 Health
Effect:
If the total amount of health to be healed by this technique exceeds the maximum health of the target, the user is healed for the remaining amount of health.
Description: The staple of the Hanamajo Clan Medic. Named after the clan itself, this jutsu is the perfect display of the healing power of plants and flowers. Forming a single seal, the User’s hands become enveloped in a green so vibrant it teems with the life energy of plants. This technique is one of the first to be taught to all Hanamajo who have even a slight interest in the medical arts. While it doesn’t appear to be any different from a standard medical technique, it can often be utilized to greater efficiency, by recycling excess medical chakra back into the Hanamajo, healing their own wounds.
Points: 4 jp [Evolving - Flower Release; Light of the Hanamajo: 1 jp]

Flower Release: Light of the Hanamajo (III)

Soton: Hanamajo no Hikari (III) | 花魔女の光 (III)
Cost: 320 Chakra
Heal: 320 Health
Effect:
If the total amount of health to be healed by this technique exceeds the maximum health of the target, the user is healed for the remaining amount of health.
Points: 7 jp [Evolving - Flower Release; Light of the Hanamajo (II): 3 jp]

Flower Release: Light of the Hanamajo (IV)

Soton: Hanamajo no Hikari (IV) | 花魔女の光 (IV)
Cost: 700 Chakra
Heal: 700 Health
Effect:
If the total amount of health to be healed by this technique exceeds the maximum health of the target, the user is healed for the remaining amount of health.
Points: 11 jp [Evolving - Flower Release; Light of the Hanamajo (III): 4 jp]

Edited by PandaMattMatt

I feel that these need a fair amount of exposition!

So first of all, these are technically resubs of techniques by the same name, but I can't be assed to find and link them cause they do nothing but heal. For what I branded (granted 5 years ago) as a "staple" technique, they did... nothing. So now they do something. I know that there has been a lot of bad "rider effects" on jutsu lately and I know these are... essentially rider effects. I have some argument for them being the exception to the rule.

1. Hanamajo is a Clan without a bloodline, but also without a real "Core" set of skills. So I decided to make these techs and maybe build from there? I honestly just wanted a technique that set them apart from other medics and made people go "Oh yeah, that's why Hanamajo Medics are good."
  2.  It's true, you'll see, I'm not actually paying for the effects of the technique. Why? Cause of the above reason as well as having it be a relatively small percent chance to trigger. 5%, 5% [10%], 10% [15%] and 10% [20%] respectively. So even if I spammed this every turn at Sennin, the odds of it triggering are about 1 in 5, but with almost no Setup phases. Seemed fair to me. I used the Critical Chance increase formula to cost for these, so I am actually paying for the full thing as if it were a Critical Hit. However, I like the setup phase thing to increase chance to critical heal.
  3. The last line was, I admit, a bit of Sand in the Eye for the Uchiha. Sorry Saki. Why? Well, yeah with the Uchiha's ability to copy these techs, they also get a chance to critical heal, however, I wanted the Hanamajo exclusively to be able to pull out the full effect. So, if learned, in any way (Jounin taught, copying, harvester eating brains etc) the chance to Critical Heal is brought down to [at max] 1%, 3%, 5% and 7% respectively, but always a minimum of 1%.

So, other than the odd effects that aren't really being paid for, these follow medical ratios precisely and stay within caps. If you have other ideas, I'm open to hearing them as well. 

Edited by PandaMattMatt

So, went back over these and upped the cost on these. What I did was cost these as if I was increasing the chance to critical of a standard tech. But I also reduced the amount a "Critical Heal" does. 1.5x is fine for damage since there are defenses and stuff to reduce the damage. With healing, there's nothing that really reduces healing, so instead of 1.5x, I reduced it to 1.2x. Still pretty good, but not insane.

So now, these have their effect being paid for AND only do 1,2x on  successful "Critical Heal"

I don't have a problem with the 'critical heal' mechanic, but for me the idea that the Hanamajo can use these techniques better than anyone else kind of flies in the face of a non-bloodline clan. By definition, their skills come from generations of refining their techniques and skills, not their innate 'I'm better at this than you'. It feels a lot like an effect I'd expect to see that keys off a bloodline, something like 'If the user is using Sharingan, blah blah blah'. 

I'm interested in hearing your thought process on this, actually. If it's just 'the hanamajo are better at plants', then how is it different from a bloodline?

I mean you kind of answer your own question.

After generations and years of practice the hanamajo are better at using this. Some schmuck rolls up and learns the technique and suddenly they use this technique with the exact same level of proficiency? I mean it's the same as an Uchiha learning an Akimichi, Yamanaka or Nara tech. I'd have to leave the Aburame out of this because they have a component that couldn't be mimicked no matter how hard those beady red eyes try.  Anyways, the idea that the Uchiha, simply because they can see a technique, can recreate the exact technique with the exact outcome is a little dumb. The years and generations used to master or even create this technique is then thrown aside and made useless, even meaningless, by the fact that literally anyone can come in and say "Oh yeah, we're that good too, cause we like totally spent 5 mins learning technique lulz."

So, my reasoning is that when taken from a mechanical standpoint, a bloodline can be almost anything within reason. It gives bonus stats, can be active or passive. The exact line that a bloodline stops becoming a bloodline is... almost non-existent. 

I for one believe that there should be SOMETHING that makes a non-bloodline clan or character at all appealing. So, with this technique, yeah, I am adamant that sure, you can get a critical heal no matter who you are, but you better believe that the Hanamajo are better at it.

Just like the Akimichi are better at expansion and size manipulation jutsu, the Yamanaka are masters of mental ninjutsu, and the Nara cast a darker shadow than any Uchiha schmuck that "learns" any of their techniques.

...Don't they, though? The Uchiha are famous for doing that exact thing. Why should an Uchiha's shadow be less dark, or their multi-size jutsu less expansive? If anything, (at least in our game) it's because of Skills that are clan-specific and not a facet of the technique itself. This feels like you're saying you can copy part of this technique, but not all of it. It's territory usually covered by SP, so why not keep to that trend?

Again, not necessarily against it, but this is setting a big precedent. I'd like to understand it as much as I can before I commit an approval.

You're not wrong, I just don't like it is all. It seems that everything in the NA system almost forces everyone to either be a canon non-bloodline clan, or be a bloodline. 

The reason is that canon non-bloodline clans have many example of what they can and cannot do, which gives us a very good argument as to why they do what they do. Secondly, canon has always had a "it's canon so it's better" stigma attached to it. Which means even on the comparison of Non-Bloodline Clans, Canon Non-Bloodline Clans get to be ever so slightly stronger as far as their skills and techniques go.

On the Flip side, there is the expectation that a bloodline ninja is inherently and unarguably "better" than a non-bloodline ninja. Or at the very least can do more and get more leeway with their skills. Which granted is a huge draw to the bloodline aspect of NA. 

So if this is going to set a precedent, I say it's a pretty dang good precedent to be set. It is a technique that does not break any damage or cost caps, is paying for it's ability and even when learned outside of that particular clan, still retains it's uniqueness. Rather than saying "Anyone outside of Hanamajo clan get no bonus" it still lets others try and get that sweet sweet critical heal. It just shows that the Hanamajo do it better, because it's theirs.

So maybe the precedent for these kind of effects should be:
A.) Techniques with similar restrictions or hindrances for not being of the named clan, may not have a bloodline associated with the clan requirement.

B.) May not entirely remove bonus of being from required clan. (In this case, cannot fully remove the "critical heal" function for non-clan users.)

Edited by PandaMattMatt

After thinking about this for a few days, peregrine, I think your absolutely correct. A skill based clan may have some unique techniques, but ultimately its their skills that set them apart. So, what I've decided to do is take this idea of a Critical Heal and turn it into a Hanamajo skill.

Once that's done, I'll mess with these to make them unique again.

OK, after a hiatus on these techniques, I think I've come up with something unique, without being detrimental to the balance of medics. Now, when using this technique, you don't waste as much medical chakra. So, whatever amount of Total heal is left after you subtract what the target is down, the user gets the remainder.

Total Heal - Target's Health Deficit = Remainder Heal Given to User.

If it's absolutely necessary, I can put that in there, but I don't think it is. The reason being that this, being used properly, requires a team battle and secondly, I don't see this being effective enough to only use twice.

A.) the number of team battles that Junsei has actually been in, where he would actually use this is exactly 0 in the past 5 years.

B.) Even if this were used on summons, it would be silly to use this when the target has such a low deficit that most of the heal goes back to the user. In a scenario like that, the User would be better off just using either a Multi-Heal or healing themselves.

However, if it IS necessary, I'm more than happy to.

Edited by PandaMattMatt