Sol Pope

Kojin Gyoja | Mud Hermit Armor

In197xs.png

Kojin Gyoja | 黄塵庵主 | Mud Hermit Armor

A technique perfected in the mountains of Sunagakure, the Mud Hermit Armor is a secret passed down by the Mud Monks of the Ochiru Bathhouse. An exquisite form of defensive combat, the Mud Hermit Armor was developed by Kojin himself. The elemental mud of the Mud Monks is brought up and around the user like a cloak, enabling them to dampen the force from physical attacks and slough off flames and other hindrances like an axolotl sheds it’s slime coat. This art form is passed down amongst the axolotl and from them to those shinobi whom they deem worthy of carrying their summoning contracts.

Rules and Restrictions

-200 RP in The Ishikawa Syndicate Organization

-Axolotl Summoning Contract

-This is an Advanced System

-This System does not turn off Advanced Regeneration

Activation:

- The activation of this Advanced System is done through the jutsu “Kojin Gyoja | Mud Hermit Armor

- Following the turn this is activated, the user loses 5% of their total Chakra per turn.

- This may be deactivated in any of the user's phases as a free action.

Kojin Gyoja | Mud Dampening

The mud that the Mud Monks coat themselves with is thick and viscous. Attacks that hit the armor find that their force is spread out over a larger surface area before they finally connect with the user, lowering the total damage they can do to the Mud Hermit.

Effect: Whenever the user Blocks an attack while Mud Hermit Armor is active, they reduce the attack’s total damage by an additional 20%, up to a maximum of 80%.

Cost: -2

Kojin Gyoja | Slough 

While fighting with goopy mud, it’s only natural that some will go flying. When the mud armor takes damage, some of that armor sloughs off the user instead of allowing the attack to affect them fully.

Effect: The first time each turn the user Blocks an attack while Mud Hermit Armor is active, they may select one status effect currently affecting them. The user may choose to either remove turns from the effect’s duration, reducing it to a minimum of zero turns, or reduce its rank or damage value. The user may not apply this effect if the CP value of any of those options is above 25 per ninja rank of the user. The first time each turn that the user Dodges an attack while Mud Hermit Armor is active and their Block Range is increased by an active effect, they may apply the effects of this skill to two status effects.

Cost: -4

Kojin Gyoja | Mud Bathing

Mud is known for its health benefits, the elemental mud of the Mud Monks even more so. Coating oneself with the stuff has health benefits besides just protection from direct attacks.

Effect: Whenever the user would suffer any form of unmodified damage while Mud Hermit Armor is active, they may pay X Chakra to reduce the damage by 2X.

Cost: -3

Edited by Sol Pope

Okies, few changes:

Activation: Please specify it can be deactivated in any of YOUR phases as a free action. If the terrain is mud this becomes free to activate, not having you pop and remove this as a way of skimping on costs. Sure, you'd lose on all the block benefits of the jutsu, except once per battle when you do it in the response phase, but if means you pop it your turn for free, use any AS locked jutsu on your turn, then turn if off in your opponent's main phase so you never pay for it. Close that loophole please.

Mud Dampening: Okay.

Slough: Ehhhh, this is incredibly strong. I actually think I'd like to see this at -4 not -3. Your AS is very clearly built to eliminate the key weakness of defence builds, that your opponent can apply effects that ignore defence to capitalise on your lower evasion. So I think both effects on this should be, at bare minimum, -2, which would make -4 total. Honestly I think this is a better capstone than the trade chakra for damage reduction you currently have as a capstone. Because if your opponent attacks, hits you with stunned, but you block, you immediately remove the stun. Bam. Oh, they hit you with opening but you blocked? Removed opening. 1 turn duration effects gain a 45% chance of failure automatically while you have max block range which you will be working towards always having because the build is clear. So yeah, make this -4 please.

Mud Bathing: So again, this is about entirely eliminating the weaknesses of a defence build. You risk limiting interactivity with this, and because this isn't rank restricted (the jutsu is chuunin rank yes, but you can take that early as a gennin, and its variable cost means you actually don't need that much ninjutsu to use it, so gennin are perfectly capable of taking this) and even at sennin rank, the 1:3 ratio means you are always vastly outstripping the cost of the incoming damage. In general, damage is prevented at the same ratio it is dealt. I don't think you're justifying outstripping ratio by so much. Jounun/Sennin poison damage is fucntionally 1:2 ratio. You're wanting 1:3. I'm saying no. Pair it back to 1:2 and I'll cop it. Still incredible value at gennin and chuunin and sits at a fair value at jounin/sennin. Technically, removing unmodified damage should cost 1.5x the cost of doing it as it's a status effect generally and getting rid of those is heinously expensive, but I'll allow it.

It’s been a while since we talked about these. Remind me: does this turn off Advanced Regeneration? As written, it doesn’t, but it should state that it doesn't to limit confusion.

Anywho, I think these are approvable, but I also think we can improve the wording and close off a hole or two. 

Mud Dampening:

Whenever the user Blocks an attack while Mud Hermit Armor is active, they reduce the attack’s total damage by an additional 20%, up to a maximum of 80%.

This allows it to stack with other things that make Blocking stronger, but doesn’t let it go too crazy. 

Slough:

The first time each turn the user Blocks an attack while Mud Hermit Armor is active, they may reduce the duration of any status effect currently affecting them by one turn, to a minimum of zero turn. 

The first time each turn the user Dodges an attack while Mud Hermit Armor is active and their Block Range is increased by an active effect, the user may select a status effect that is currently affecting them and reduce its duration by two turns, to a minimum of zero turns. 

This skill does not allow the user to reduce the duration of any status effect that inflicts damage. 

I believe this does what you want, though I did have some trouble parsing the second sentence, so correct me if I’m wrong. I added the last line so that this skill wouldn’t invalidate Mud Bathing, and so that you couldn’t remove hundreds of CP worth of damage for free in one go, which would be too much.

Mud Bathing:

Whenever the user would suffer any form of unmodified damage while Mud Hermit Armor is active, they may pay X Chakra to reduce the damage by 2X. 

I didn't close anything off this time, just changed the wording a bit.

Edited by almondsAndRain

Approved.
To clarify a bit, what we discussed over Discord was Pope wanting to be able to affect Bleeding / Burning / Poison with Slough. I did not like that it could remove potentially hundreds of CP worth of effects for free, but he wanted it to still have some function against those statuses. We came to a compromise that reduces the effectiveness of those statuses, but doesn't remove them entirely unless they are already on the weak end. The way this works also prevents Opening from being removed unless the technique it Opens into is weak. The 100 CP cap covers everything else. Destroy Item and Weapon can cost more, but they (and also Fazed) cannot be affected by this as they never put the user in a position where the "status effect [is] currently affecting them." They hit you and you suffer, like with damage.

He is alright with this not being able to hit both the duration and rank / damage of a status. I'm sure we can find a way to word it so it does, but he feels that is too situational to bother with. It only happens with Bleeding and friends, basically, so I'm inclined to agree.

Edited by almondsAndRain