Warr

Koushingun (Advance of the Princely Locust)

進軍蝗 |Koushingun (Advance of the Princely Locust)

Weapon Type: Shamisen

Size: Medium

Level: 20

Attributes:

Unique (50$)

Hidden (50$)

Special Abilities:

Kodo: This is not a weapon in the traditional sense, but rather it is one of the most finely made Shamisen ever to grace the continent in living memory. All strikes made with this weapon are considered to be of the Sound Combinatorial Element, as if the user had 'True Elemental Resonance; Sound', however 50% of the damage dealt to an opponent by this weapon is dealt as ghost damage. Additionally, the bonus applicable to sound techniques "“Sound Techniques have a +4% chance to hit. As well, when in a small enclosed area they gain +10% effect, rounded up..” thanks to combinatorial elements, is considered to be doubled when sound techniques are utilized from this weapon, and sound techniques which require this weapon may be learned and used without possessing 'combinatorial sound', or its prerequisite subtle elements. (900$?)

Overland Blues: While this weapon is equipped, the user is considered to possess the skill 'sealless jutsu'* when utilizing sound or wind ninjutsu, and in addition every attack made by this weapon deals 1 turn of 'deafened' to the opponent. (600$-ish based on Hyōrinmaru's Frostblade and King of Frozen Heavens special abilities, which do each apart of what this does.)

Description: (A nice description of your weapon. Length, weight, material its made of, where its from, colors, etc.) [WIP. Researching some Shamisen specimens and trying to find a really nice picture to go with it.]

Cost: ??? until I've got the two special abilities given a cost. Will probably be going with legendary or quest item status for this, that said. Legendary Shamisen just seems too cool to not go after.

That said, so far if it's level 20:

230+300=530 + 100 = 630$

Edited by Warr

Designer's Notes

This is mostly my attempt at creating a 'legendary ninja item' that can be used as a weapon but is not strictly a weapon. The legendary thing about it, I suppose, is the fact that it can be used to make sound attacks with the skill of the player being measured in their entire body's reaction, thus the use of nin/tai mods.

It was mostly a whim, and I'm still working on the description, but I invite opinions/suggestions.

For Kodo: I'm thinking about 1100$ because it'd cost 700$ just for True Elemental Resonance (Sound) if that was even allowed, which as those attributes go, is not. Given that half of the damage dealt by the weapon is ghost, and thus negligible/ignorable as ghost health can be regenerated by anyone, I figured it'd be more like 400$-600$, leaving 700$-500$ left to pay for it tripling the effects of combinatorial elements sound, and allowing for the user to use this weapon for sealless sound ninjutsu and not just sound ninjutsu/taijutsu or the attacks the Shamisen itself makes.

For Storm: Thinking the cost here should be something along the lines of: 100$-ish for the ability to afflict an opponent with 'impaired hearing' based on affliction: minor's cost and the fact this has less chance to do it and half effect of what I could put there, given deafened could technically fit within it. And for the fact that it's allowing the user to make an attack 'area of effect' for two times the cost it'd be if the attack was not area of effect, I'm thinking 750$? So 850$ to 900$ for total effect, based on Senbonzakura's blanket of blossoms special ability. Edited by Warr

Kodo: This should just have the proper elemental resonance abilities, given that they allow for up to tier 1 combinatorial. The first sentence here is purely fluff and does not need to be there. Rather than seal-less, I would greatly prefer if this effect instead made it treat you as if you had one-handed seals. By the rules, a medium weapon only "requires" one hand anyways-- and if you are somehow incapable of using both hands, it would likely be pretty hard to pluck strings in any meaningful way. This should also only double Combi:Sound. Tripling would be an ability on its own given its potency, but I think you could get away with doubling. Even then, this special ability has a lot of effects mashed into one.

Storm: This is just Blanket of Blossoms but... better. As Senbonzakura's owner, I'm going to ask you to look for some alternative routes here. I would suggest perhaps instead this ability making it so that Sound techniques performed while wielding this weapon were treated as if they were done "in an enclosed space" and then add on the impaired hearing thing.

Kodo: This should just have the proper elemental resonance abilities, given that they allow for up to tier 1 combinatorial. The first sentence here is purely fluff and does not need to be there. Rather than seal-less, I would greatly prefer if this effect instead made it treat you as if you had one-handed seals. By the rules, a medium weapon only "requires" one hand anyways-- and if you are somehow incapable of using both hands, it would likely be pretty hard to pluck strings in any meaningful way. This should also only double Combi:Sound. Tripling would be an ability on its own given its potency, but I think you could get away with doubling. Even then, this special ability has a lot of effects mashed into one.

I thought it was very clear that they could only be used for subtle elements. As to the seal less, I went with that because it takes 2 hands to play a Shamisen, effectively, so making one handed seals would not actually let the player be able to do that. I'm fine with lowering tripled to doubled, but feel that it should be fine with working as 'functionally sealless' when playing it, because otherwise it won't work to play it. If I need to change it to large weapon type to reflect this, that's fine, but in my head sealless worked and made plenty of sense.

Storm: This is just Blanket of Blossoms but... better. As Senbonzakura's owner, I'm going to ask you to look for some alternative routes here. I would suggest perhaps instead this ability making it so that Sound techniques performed while wielding this weapon were treated as if they were done "in an enclosed space" and then add on the impaired hearing thing.

That's a really weak ability, @ the enclosed space, when it comes down to it. Makes it so they'd gain 20% additional effect in an enclosed area, but ultimately won't do much. I'm not sure what makes it 'better' than Blanket of Blossoms, and I'm willing to change it some, but I'm not so sure about removing it entirely given they are different, and given that something as simple as 20% additional effect makes for a rather weak ability, ultimately.

I -would- consider something that effectively let the user use it to let them use sound techniques even if they don't have the skills for it, in addition to the enclosed area bit, but I ultimately planned to get sound combinational with Chouka anyways.

Is this a WIP? 

Kodo: The description and the effect seemed to be mix in up in here, which makes it a bit difficult to read. 

I think this would be best just having True Elemental Resonance as the normal ability, and having this skill read something like:

"Whenever this weapon successfully hits an opponent, 50% of the damage caused by this weapon is treated as ghost damage. When this weapon is used as part of a sound element weapon technique, treat the techniques as if the effects of Combinatorial Elements; Sound were doubled. When in possession of this weapon the user may learn and use sound element weapon techniques without knowing the skills Combinatorial Elements; Sound." 

Doesn't have to be exactly this, but something along the lines. Since we do have weapon techniques, which included ninjutsu, taijutsu, and such, and that's what I believe you're going for. 

Overland blues: 

Link to seal less skill? 

Like I mentioned through PM, I am cleaning up the forum and moving untouched stuff to dead. 

Some notes on this weapon: 

Kodo: We do not allow physical attacks to inflict Ghost Damage anymore, so the Ghost Damage portion will need to be cut. Sound has been redone since this was posted and no longer directly increases your chance to hit or cares about confined spaces. 

Overland Blues: Sound inflicts Deafened now, so part of this is actually replaced by the first ability. 

Anyway, if you ever return and want to bring this back, let me know and I’ll kick it over and help you get something approvable going.