Main Site; Bunshin No Jutsu

yhQP1qE.gif
Bunshin No Jutsu | Clone Technique | 分身の術

wpIW06i.png - 1ztlZE9.png - KV6xKyd.png
Hitsuji - Mi - Tora

• Bunshin No Jutsu | Clone Technique | 分身の術 I
Type: Ninjutsu [Void]
Cost: 5x Chakra
Effect: This technique may be used in the Setup Phase or Main Phase. When determining the cost of this technique ‘x’ is considered to be the number of ‘Clones’ created by the user and may never be greater than 2. ‘Clones’ have 1 Health and 1% of the user’s other statistics. ‘Clones’ are not physical, and may not use items, techniques or attack during their turn. The user of this technique gains +20 Evasion or +20 Accuracy for every ‘Clone’ on the battlefield. The effects of 'Clones' may be ignored by any character with heightened senses (i.e; Byakugan, Path of the Sensor, Inuzuka Smell Tracker, etc). This technique may be used in the Setup Phase 1 time per battle.
Description: A technique that most students are required to be proficient in before they can graduate from the academy, the Bunshin no Jutsu is the most basic of the myriad of clone techniques that exist in the world. By properly molding their chakra, the user is capable of creating near perfect replicas of themselves. Unlike most bunshinjutsu, the basic clone technique does not produce physical clones but creates something more akin to a projected image, which is a real image that has no form. The Clone Technique is considered an E-Ranked jutsu, and is not very powerful, but with practice and ingenuity many shinobi have come to use it in masterful ways. Most often stalling by hiding out among their clones, or setting themselves up for a strong offensive.

• Bunshin No Jutsu | Clone Technique | 分身の術 II
Type: Ninjutsu [Void | Evolving; Bunshin No Jutsu I]
Effect: This technique may be used in the Setup Phase or Main Phase. When determining the cost of this technique ‘x’ is considered to be the number of ‘Clones’ created by the user and may never be greater than 4. ‘Clones’ have 1 Health and 1% of the user’s other statistics. ‘Clones’ are not physical, and may not use items, techniques or attack during their turn. The user of this technique gains +20 Evasion or +20 Accuracy for every ‘Clone’ on the battlefield. The effects of 'Clones' may be ignored by any character with heightened senses (i.e; Byakugan, Path of the Sensor, Inuzuka Smell Tracker, etc). This technique may be used in the Setup Phase 1 time per battle.
Description: A technique that most students are required to be proficient in before they can graduate from the academy, the Bunshin no Jutsu is the most basic of the myriad of clone techniques that exist in the world. By properly molding their chakra, the user is capable of creating near perfect replicas of themselves. Unlike most bunshinjutsu, the basic clone technique does not produce physical clones but creates something more akin to a projected image, which is a real image that has no form. The Clone Technique is considered an E-Ranked jutsu, and is not very powerful, but with practice and ingenuity many shinobi have come to use it in masterful ways. Most often stalling by hiding out among their clones, or setting themselves up for a strong offensive.

• Bunshin No Jutsu | Clone Technique | 分身の術 III
Type: Ninjutsu [Void | Evolving; Bunshin No Jutsu II]
Effect: This technique may be used in the Setup Phase or Main Phase. When determining the cost of this technique ‘x’ is considered to be the number of ‘Clones’ created by the user and may never be greater than 8. ‘Clones’ have 1 Health and 1% of the user’s other statistics. ‘Clones’ are not physical, and may not use items, techniques or attack during their turn. The user of this technique gains +20 Evasion or +20 Accuracy for every ‘Clone’ on the battlefield. The effects of 'Clones' may be ignored by any character with heightened senses (i.e; Byakugan, Path of the Sensor, Inuzuka Smell Tracker, etc). This technique may be used in the Setup Phase 1 time per battle.

• Bunshin No Jutsu | Clone Technique | 分身の術 IV
Type: Ninjutsu [Void | Evolving; Bunshin No Jutsu III]
Effect: This technique may be used in the Setup Phase or Main Phase. When determining the cost of this technique ‘x’ is considered to be the number of ‘Clones’ created by the user and may never be greater than 16. ‘Clones’ have 1 Health and 1% of the user’s other statistics. ‘Clones’ are not physical, and may not use items, techniques or attack during their turn. The user of this technique gains +20 Evasion or +20 Accuracy for every ‘Clone’ on the battlefield. The effects of 'Clones' may be ignored by any character with heightened senses (i.e; Byakugan, Path of the Sensor, Inuzuka Smell Tracker, etc). This technique may be used in the Setup Phase 1 time per battle.
Edited by Cellar Door

Designer’s Notes:
Well well, who’s surprised that I did another academy remake? Me neither. This one is vastly more complicated than the original was, but the original was another one of those things that I felt was dull and never saw play because it just wasn’t that good. With these being main site effects that everyone has access too, I think making sure that they are at least useful at the beginning of the game is important, and if they want to pay to make them useful later into the game, I think that should also be a viable option.

With that being said, it took me awhile to come to a conclusion of what I thought would be good, fair, and true to canon with the basic clone. The fact that they’re useful for stalling was important. That’s their job for the most part. Just trick out some ninja into having trouble finding you. This is why I decided to make their most obvious effect kind of like the reverse of a dynamic trap. You can trick everyone on the battlefield and make it impossible to find, but once they start killing your clones they are wise to your game forever. (I pulled a lot on the effects from that battle where Sakura fought Zaku in the Forest of Death, and that will be apparent in my reasoning for the next part.)

For the offensive portion of the Bunshin, I’ve made it so that once per battle, you can really set yourself up for a nice chance to hit, but you can only do it once per battle because naturally these clones blow and everyone will be wise to your shenanigans if you try it again.

The Chakra costs are extremely aggressive on these, both because they have no battle ability other than their effects and because their effects have some very strict limitations in that they can be permanently reduced to 0, and are only useable once per battle. They also have some other bonery issues like anyone who with slightly above average senses can detect your clones and is immune to all of it.

I think the only other thing I wanted to address here is that I hate that these are genjutsu. Obviously because they aren’t in the canon and I don’t like deviating from the source material needlessly. Despite the fact that these have no tangible form, the projection of the clone is real. Everyone can see it and it isn’t a trick of the brain. Naturally, it straddles the line a little bit, but with Ninjutsu being the most commonly used offensive stat, it seems like the basic stuff should be mostly geared toward that.

As with the Replacement Jutsu, this is completely open to everyone, and because of that I am perfectly happy to field fresh ideas and concerns and work with others to make this something that everybody would enjoy using. (Also, if you have ideas for a battle application of Henge, hit me up. That thing is proving to be about a bitch to work on.)

My concern with this is that it is too complicated as a "welcome to NA" style jutsu. I think it's neat, but its not straightforward enough for a new player. I would suggest maybe rethinking this or pushing the complications to the later levels and keeping the Academy Student and Gennin versions simple.

Okay, these now must be purchased using Evolving Rules, just like Body Replacement. It also now is muuuuch simpler. To keep the idea of being able to do something tricky with it, 1 time per battle you can make bunshin in the setup phase, but now their effect is just +20 Evasion or +20 Accuracy per clone. Letting you choose what you need when you make them. I think that will make them more useful while keeping them simplistic enough that a newbie wouldn't have too much trouble.

They now feel like a good intro clone to me.

Edited by Cellar Door

These look pretty good, but I would rather that it specified that they cannot "take action" during their turn in general. I don't want someone cheesing stuff like the Jiton Mineral Sands, or being used by characters with large chakra quantities to squeeze off coalescence buffs/heals. 

These look pretty good, but I would rather that it specified that they cannot "take action" during their turn in general. I don't want someone cheesing stuff like the Jiton Mineral Sands, or being used by characters with large chakra quantities to squeeze off coalescence buffs/heals.

1.) Stated that they can't use items now, but that's pretty stupid since clones don't get items other than small weapons, and it states in the tech they can't attack.

2.) They can't use techniques at all.

3.) "large chakra quantities"; If you had 10,000 Chakra, these clones would have 100...

I'm not removing their ability to take any action, because several actions are actually important for these to make them intro clones. Most specifically the ability to intercept an attack aimed at another character.

Edited by Cellar Door

These stay at least circumstantially viable all the way up to Sennin. I'm impressed. I'm not sure how I feel about a formless clone intercepting attacks though; as you yourself said they are not physical. How could they intercept attacks?

That's all about role-play and perspective.

A clone, unless the opponent possesses extremely keen powers of perception, is a very strong likeness of the creator. Just because systematically the clone intercepted the attack, doesn't mean you can't role play that they just accidentally attacked the wrong version of the character, which is pretty important in my opinion for this technique, since almost every time you see Bunshin used in battle, the opponent accidentally attacks a fake first and then wises up. (And with 1% of your speed, they'll never realistically get another turn anyway so you more or less get to RP out that first fake-out with these clones and that's it.)

This is a situation where we already have a natural mechanic that works for something that would otherwise be an effect of the technique, but the only issue is RP flavor, and let's be real, there are situations on the site that have had far more bungled RP flavor than this.

I like this version a lot more than the first. I think this is exactly what we want for a "welcome to NA jutsu", thought it goes a BIT on the complicated side. From a player in battle perspective, this is also a great "intro to clones 101" since you can attack and destroy them, but you don't have to worry about taking their turns. I would almost want them to not have any turns, but there would need to be an equally complicated and confusing replacement rule set for how they response or take damage. So with that in mind...

Approved