cntrstrk14

Jiongu | Earth Grudge Fear

pk0s3Jy.png

Jiongu | 地怨虞 | Earth Grudge Fear

A sight truly horrible to behold, the Jiongu is considered by the world to be one of the most horrific inheritances for an individual to come into. The physiology of those who possess the Jiongu kekkei genkai are warped and twisted reflections of humanity; their circulatory, and indeed even musculature, is comprised of elastic and durable capillaries that are often described as being tentacle or tendril-like. Because of the nature of their unique bodily structure, inheritors of the Jiongu have the ability to extend their reach by segmenting their body and quite literally sewing it back together with these thread-like veins. More horrifying than their general appearance, however, is the cannibalistic nature by which they are able to prolong their lives. Often referred to as immortal monsters, those who possess the Jiongu's gifts are able to integrate the hearts and organs of deceased individuals into their own physiology, allowing them to trade out damaged or weak organs as though they were universal puzzle pieces. 

Though the abilities of the Jiongu are great and varied, they are not without their inherent flaws. The strange physiology of bloodline inheritors renders them incapable of naturally developing chakra alignments other than the one most intrinsic to their chakra itself; this particular flaw is most commonly overcome by taking the hearts of those with a desired elemental affinity. Additionally, most medical practices and ninjutsu have a severely diminished effect on those of the Jiongu inheritance, given that their body structure is so drastically different from other human beings.

Though the Jiongu is classified as a Kekkei Genkai, it originated as an unacceptable kinjutsu practiced by some select members of Takigakure no Sato. It is unknown if Takigakure no Sato still bears the knowledge of this technique to this day, but every generation or so an unexpected possessor of this terrible ability appears in a new location on this continent. This leaves some to believe the knowledge is hidden in the darkest corners of our world outside of Takigakure. Some even seek the strength of this mutation willingly.

The Jiongu does permanently alter the physical makeup of the individual, making it possible to pass the ability to offspring. Though the passing of the ability is somewhat rare and unpredictable, in some cases even skipping a generation, it does continue to manifest within the blood of its original host. Because of this the technique is looked upon by many as a curse upon an entire family. The only clan within a hidden village known to carry this cursed blood are the Karitegaki of Iwagakure no Sato, though not much else is known of them to the world at large.

Constricted Nature
Those who possess the forbidden arts of the Jiongu find themselves with many anatomical advantages over their would-be opponents; these physiological enhancements are not without their drawbacks, however. Due to the invasive nature of the Jiongu's tendrils, those who utilize it find their natural chakra flows altered and restricted, preventing them from easily utilizing elemental ninjutsu that they are not inherently aligned with.
Restrictions: Must be taken at Character Creation or at the time of transfusion.
Effect: At character creation (or time of transfusion), this character selects one Subtle: Elements Skill. They are granted that skill for free in place of their normal village element(s). This character may not purchase further ranks in Subtle Elements except through means provided in later ranks of this bloodline. Additionally, the character gains only a single affinity that corresponds with the element they selected at character creation. They may train for this specialty normally at level 30.
Cost: +1

Foreign Anatomy
Given the unique anatomy of the Jiongu kekkei genkai, they are often much more less receptive to the healing arts of Medical Ninja.
Restrictions: Must be taken at Character Creation or at the time of transfusion.
Effect: Medical Ninjutsu and items used on this character restore 20% less Health.
Cost: +1

Patchwork Physiology
The tendril-based physiology of the Jiongu grants its users a certain resilience unknown to most other shinobi. When made to bleed, the bloodline bearer's tendrils constrict rapidly and tend to prevent any substantial hemorrhaging. Similarly, the patchwork nature of the Jiongu allows its users to repair damaged limbs effortlessly.
Requirements: Foreign Anatomy and Constricted Nature.

Effect: This character receives 50% less bleed damage from all sources of their ninja rank or lower. If an effect would remove any of this character's limbs, they may spend one Main Phase (per limb) to reattach lost limbs. This allows for use of techniques with the [Tendril Hijutsu] descriptor.
Cost: -2

Stitch-craft Amalgamation
Beyond the hair-like tendrils that those who posses the Jiongu, its wielders also possess the unique ability to quite literally harvest the hearts of fallen foes. These hearts are seamlessly integrated into the user's uniquely adaptive physiology, increasing their vigor and overall potency. In addition to a simple increase in life-force, the user then is granted "multiple lives", as they may sacrifice a heart other than their own when confronted with a fatal or near-fatal attack, allowing them to continue fighting.
Effect: The user may now 'harvest' the hearts of fallen foes and store them within themselves, up to a maximum of one (1) per rank at any given time. Each heart stored within the user grants a bonus of 8% additional total Health, 6% total Chakra, and 6% total Stamina. Upon acquisition, each heart is assigned a number (1 through 4); whenever this character would drop below 0% HP while a heart is stored, they roll a 1d4 until they roll the number of a currently stored heart. The correspondingly numbered heart is then "destroyed" and this character returns to 5% of their total Health. If anything would cause this character to drop below -25% of their total Health, the must roll until two (2) hearts are destroyed instead.
Requirements: Patchwork Physiology. Level 20.

Restrictions: May not be taken with Second Wind or other similar effects.
Ranks: 4 | 1 Rank may be purchased every 20 levels
Cost: -2 Per Rank

Accumulated Affinities
Effect: Each rank of this skill allows the user to gain the primary Elemental Specialty of a stored heart without training. In the case of Specialties with choices selected upon learning them the user must use the same choice that the original owner of the heart had made. This may allow the effects of a single Specialty to stack up to one time, even if the choices do not (e.g. Lightning Specialty could grant "+10% chance to hit with Ninjutsu and +10% chance to hit with Taijutsu" -or- "+20% chance to hit with Ninjutsu" in the instance of two hearts with the Lightning Specialty, but may not stack a third time to allow "+20% chance to hit with Ninjutsu and +10% chance to hit with Taijutsu"). JP reduction from Specialties of the same type do not stack, and this does not allow for redundant instances of Subtle Elements.

Restrictions: Requires corresponding ranks of Stitch-craft Amalgamation.
Ranks: 4
Cost: -1 

N3dJxRi.png

Macabre Schism
The flesh-craft techniques of the Jiongu kekkei genkai are not limited simply to the storage of hearts for the purposes of prolonging their own lives; rather, the true purpose of the Jiongu’s existence is not to become immortal, but to utilize the skills of fallen foes against their friends and allies. This is as much a scare tactic as it is a power-play.
Effect: While hearts are deployed, this is considered an Advanced System. Hearts harvested and stored by the user now receive stats as though they were “pets” whose size corresponds to the rank of the individual the heart was harvested from. Genin-ranked hearts are considered Small pets, Chuunin and Jonin hearts are Medium pets, and Sennin-ranked hearts are Large pets. These “Pets” may not increase their size. Pets may be deployed in the Setup Phase at the cost of that phase. Each heart deployed in this way suspends the bonuses granted by Stitch-Craft Amalgamation, Accumulated Affinities, and/or any other skill that requires hearts to be “stored” within the user. Each rank in this skill allows one additional heart to be actively deployed at a given time. If a deployed heart’s health is reduced to 0, that heart is considered destroyed and the user loses any bonuses that the heart would have granted them; that heart may not be stored again.

Restrictions: Requires corresponding ranks of Stitch-craft Amalgamation.
Ranks:

Memoirs From Beyond
Effect: This skill may only be taken by a Jiongu user’s stored heart “pets”. This pet may now purchase skills and techniques found on the character sheet of the character from which this heart was acquired. This does not allow a pet to obtain Bloodline Skills, though it is considered to possess that bloodline for the purposes of skills and techniques as long as the aforementioned bloodline is not organ-based; this does not fulfill the requirements for skills or techniques if said skills/techniques mandate a bloodline's activation. This supersedes standard pet rules about skill and technique/trick limitations.

74wfsht.gif

Stolen Memories
Effect: This skill has no rank limit or level restrictions. Each rank in this skill grants the user 1 skill point that may be used exclusively for the purposes of purchasing skills found on the character sheet of a stored heart. If that heart is deployed, this character loses the effects of those skills. If a heart from which a skill originated is destroyed, skills it allowed access to through Stolen Memories are removed and this character is refunded the skill points granted from this skill’s effect; those skill points may then be utilized again to purchase skills located on another heart, though such skills may only be purchased outside of combat.
Restrictions: May only be used to purchase skills that the heart "pet" has already purchased, though this character may purchase ranks in skills beyond what the pet has acquired.

Ranks: ∞

Borrowed Movements
Effect: This character may now purchase and utilize techniques found on a stored heart’s character sheet, regardless of learning requirements. The user must meet all requirements to use the learned techniques in order to perform them. If the heart from which it was purchased is deployed, the user may not utilize those techniques. If the heart corresponding to these techniques is destroyed, the techniques are removed from their character and the points spent to learn them refunded.
Restrictions: May only be used to purchase techniques that the heart "pet" has already purchased.

Rules for Heart Acquisition

• Hearts may only be acquired through a life-or-death battle or a GM arc.
  • A GM arc needs to be approved by CNTRSTRK14 before it begins and at its conclusion. In addition it has a 8,000 word minimum with a 25% chance to fail. It should be a GM arc with serious consequences; meaning if the character makes poor decisions or rolls they can end up with negatives up to and including maiming, losing existing hearts, or even character death (We encourage GM's to be creative here!). The 8,000 word minimum is the price for a chance at a heart and may not yield additional rewards in any form, including EXP or money. If the player fails to gain a heart due to the fail roll, they gain 75% of the EXP of an A Rank mission but none of the money.
  • Stealing a heart may be performed on any unconscious or dead character and requires the harvester to sacrifice two consequential Setup Phases and Main Phases with no other actionsIf the harvester is successfully struck during either of those turns, their progress is halted and they must begin again. No Response Phase techniques may be utilized during this time.
  • If a heart is taken from a player character, they are considered dead. Barring majority staff intervention, there is no grey area here; that character is dead and is moved to the graveyard.
  • While harvesting a heart from a dead or unconscious character, the harvester is considered to be "targeting" that character for the duration of the harvesting.
  • If the character whose heart is being harvested becomes untargetable for any duration during harvesting, the process is ended immediately and must be started again from the beginning. If the body is destroyed, sealed, or otherwise removed from the battlefield, harvesting is ceased and may not be begun anew until the body is returned to the battlefield or the battle ends while the body is still present.
  • Like 1

Designer Notes

- This is a resubmission of Hardcore Skittlez' rendition of Jiongu which can be found here.

- Very little statistical changes have been made, this was mostly for clarity since the curation of this clan was passed to me.

- Remove the following line as it was legacy and I couldn't find a reason for it to exist, "Techniques with the [Tendril Hijutsu] descriptor must have their cost divided evenly between Chakra and Stamina."

- Reduced "Foreign Anatomy" to be a +1 instead of a +2. I may adjust this to be a +2 and drastically increase the medical jutsu reduction pending discussion with current bloodline owners.

- Changed flavor description at the top to incorporate the idea that this 'bloodline' comes from a forbidden technique originally, but may be passed down genetically as a secondary way into this. This means that this bloodline is not tied to a clan like other bloodlines, however there is a clan that possesses it called the Karitegaki in Iwagakure no Sato.

- Updated wording on some abilities as I re-read them to just fill any holes. Some capitalization and organization changes.

- New pictures!

Please continue, i like it. If you want any help with skills or the clan side let me know. I was planning on making kishins little brother soon and this looks awesome. Very in line with what i wanted with rilon and like some of the changes me and major were going to try. Thanks Tony.

Updated with the following two changes.

- Remove the following line as it was legacy and I couldn't find a reason for it to exist, "Techniques with the [Tendril Hijutsu] descriptor must have their cost divided evenly between Chakra and Stamina."
- Reduced "Foreign Anatomy" to be a +1 instead of a +2. I may adjust this to be a +2 and drastically increase the medical jutsu reduction pending discussion with current bloodline owners.

Patchwork Physiology: This can probably be -2. 50% bleed isn't that huge a deal since they can still be poisoned/burned.

Stitchcraft: Heart-stealing thing is pretty much the bread and butter. I think this should be -3 per rank. Passively receiving +8% of your health and +6% of your chakra/stamina on top of getting a gravy 4 Second Winds per battle (and with the way Second Wind is actually worded, you could have that too, and it would pop first for an even better 5 turn stall)... that's a way bigger deal than -1. 

Accumulated Affinities: I don't really like the ability to passively stack two of the same affinities effects. The way this is written you can get a total of 5 specialties. I like the notion, because it allows the player to really diversify. I think it's really powerful though. A defensive character could go 2 Earth (30% reduction to Ninjutsu Base Damage), 2 Fire (+20% to dodge), and 1 whatever else. What's worse, the skill doesn't specify that if you're choosing a different type from the same element if it counts as stacking. It could be by RAW, that you could go 4 Earth (30% reduction to Ninjutsu/Taijutsu), and 1 Fire. The same sort of thing can be dreamed up in offensive combos as well, a Nin-Tai hybrid user with 4 stacks of Wind (+30% to Tai/Nin) is suddenly doing +60% of their base damage. This needs its wording nailed down harder. Probably shouldn't stack up to 2 either. Getting 5 Affinities is a pretty big deal already.

Pet Related Skills: These will probably change up some once we finish the pet rule changes. I guess they look fine. Purchasing skills based on other people's stuff is interesting. Not sure if it's canonically accurate for Kakuzu, but I guess it does jive with the notion that a whole body must be destroyed or else other ninja can steal the secrets of that village, etc ,etc that was talked about early in the series.

Borrowed Movements: "If the heart is destroyed corresponding to these techniques is destroyed, the techniques are removed from their character and the points spent to learn them refunded." this sentence is all potato. I guess this is fine otherwise, we don't know a whole lot about Kakuzu though, and it didn't seem like he learned his techniques from other people since they all had a solid naming scheme. Not going to fight too hard on it, just curious about your thoughts regarding this.

Edited by Cellar Door

Patchwork Physiology: If we are moving costs to other places I am down with this. I believe this was so high because it is the "gate" into the rest of the bloodline, but if we're keeping costs elsewhere this is probably fine. Updated to -2.

Stitchcraft: I would argue against here. I agree that it is powerful, but there are a few factors here that I want to make sure are not understated.

• There is a not insignificant amount of work that has to be put into acquiring each heart that makes up this bonus, and each time the second wind style bonus is used that heart is gone and has to be replaced. I think we should make sure we factor these GM style arcs into the costs. (See rules at bottom of post, I am totally up for making more concrete rules for this too. I already have it approved through me to prevent them being given "too easily", but right now its pretty much up to my judgement without anything in stone). 
  • Assuming a character with 1500 Health and a combined 2000 Chakra & Stamina (this bloodline does not really restrict a player from one or the other, and many have been hybrids so combining them for discussion) that would be a +120 Health per rank and +120 Chakra/Stamina per rank. So about +240 tank stats per rank, split among the three. At 4 ranks that's a total of approximately 960 tank stats, split up. Less than what other clan boosts get (Nankan and... one of yours I forget if its Senju or Uzumaki. I believe it gives +1000 like Nankan). 
  • These cannot be taken with Second Wind (you pointed out an example in which they were, which its in the restrictions that they can't). 

These points together, I could see this moving up to -2 per rank, but I don't think all of that together is worth -12 SP for the whole thing. I haven't updated this yet, pending discussion. 

Accumulated Affinities: The goal of the stacking mechanic is to make it so that there is less of a chance to get "dead" hearts. Without the ability to stack you end up having the problem where a player can get a heart with a specialty they already have and its a real feel bad moment. In addition, it has the added bonus of fully decked out members of this bloodline not all looking the same with all 5 specialties. A character can tailor like you explained more towards their own strengths, which I actually really enjoy. I am up for ideas here though, we can nail down the wording of the current mechanics or we can come up with another way to make having hearts with the same primary appealing.  I updated the wording here to be more precise.

Pet Related Skills: Yep, I didn't really touch these because I assumed once we fix up pets they would all change anyways and seemed fine for now.

Borrowed Movements: Fixed that sentence & also clarified the starting of this to be what I believe was the original intent (you can learn anything on their sheet, but must meet requirements to use). To clarify my intent, and to use the Uchiha as my age old example, a user with this bloodline could learn any techniques that would require the user to be an Uchiha even though they are not, but could not use techniques that required them to have an active Sharingan (since they don't have the Sharingan). 

I think its more interesting gameplay to have access to an opponent's techniques. If it jives with your canon nature we can also put in a flavor line in the description about like "often the bloodline user will change the names of the technique to hide their origin" or something like that. Alternatively, this skill is optional so its possible that Kakuzu maybe just didn't take this branch and instead just opted to make his own Jutsu (which I can see as a pretty legit choice if a player is tight on SP). 

Stitchcraft: Aha, I did miss that they could not be taken with Second Wind. I'm still pretty adamant that this should be much higher. The Mokuton, which you cited costs 10 SP to get 1000 Chakra and just 1000 Chakra and has a strictly maintained cap that it cannot break. Stitchcraft has no upper ceiling to the bonus that it can achieve (so it will continue to grow in power post-120), and with a normal build at max level it does look as though it will be about on par with Mokuton in terms of stat gain. It will also be granting 4 uses of an ability that is better than Second Wind. Gaining all of that for 4 SP. That's not enough, even if they have to do special work to get hearts. 12 SP to max this would be fair in my opinion, considering the hoops that must be jumped through, and looking at other comparable effects with SP costs. 

Accumulated Affinities: This is probably okay. It probably just bugs me because Kakuzu collected the 5 different specialties in the canon, and it was a central motif of his character. Only stacking them twice probably isn't going to mess anything up too bad, and this is a section where the hearts being damaged really does have a large effect, because grabbing up hearts with the right affinity is probably a drag. So yeah, this probably okay on second review.

Borrowed Movements: Like, I said, I don't really like or dislike this version. I don't think it's broken since the technique being stolen would have to be approved anyway, and it basically just gives them bonus tag requirements.

Stitchcraft: I have updated this to be -2 SP per rank. I think that with the rest of the SP requirements here that this is the maximum that can be supported without making the bloodline too heavy a burden for a character. Right now we're sitting at 22 points to max this out, not counting Stolen Memories. I would like to discuss specifically what we can do for a -8 SP to max out here. After talking with Ichigo and wolfnin about what parts are important to them as the members of the bloodline, they both seemed to lean towards the 4 second wind effects being the reason they wanted the bloodline in the first time. I think that we could discuss instead lowering the passive stat bonuses that each heart gives, so let's look at what the bonuses actually are. I'll be combining Chakra/Stamina going forward since it doesn't matter where the points are put between them, the total is all that matters.

Current Values
Health: +8% per Heart
Chakra/Stamina: +6% per Heart

Level 50

Avg. Health*: 500 - 800

Bonus per Heart: 40 - 64 Health

Bonus w/ 3 Hearts**: 120 - 192 Health

Avg. Chk/Stm: 600 - 1000

Bonus per Heart: 36 - 60 Health

Bonus w/ 3 Hearts**: 108 - 180 Health

• Total Stat Bonus: 228 - 372 Stats

Level 100

Avg. Health*: 800 - 1500

Bonus per Heart: 64 - 120 Health

Bonus w/ 4 Hearts: 256 - 480 Health

Avg. Chk/Stm: 1200 - 2000

Bonus per Heart: 72 - 120 Health

Bonus w/ 4 Hearts: 288 - 480 Health

• Total Stat Bonus: 544 - 960 Stats***

Level 120+

Data here for average builds is not reliable given the number of characters that have come here. But if we are to extrapolate this and add this bloodline to say... Mari. Who has 21,700 total stats, we get the following bonuses.

Health: 2670 * 0.08 = 213 per Heart

CHK/STM: 4150 * 0.06 = 249 per Heart

Tota Bonus w/ 4 Hearts: 1,848 Stats

This last one is pretty ridiculous, but this the absolutely farthest end of the scale. And given that it is giving this bonus to a level 212 equivalent, I am not too worried about the bonus overall.

* - Averages taken from characters of that level and recent tournament.

** - Level requirement of 60 is needed for 4th heart.

*** - It's important to note here that not many characters build the high end of both because it means ignoring other important areas. We should assume a character with this bloodline would be higher up in these levels as the bloodline leans towards defensive builds, but the high level 100's in the recent tournament were both defensive characters and their stats were...

• 1500 Health, 1800 CHK/STM

• 1200 Health, 2000 CHK/STM

Heart Acquiring: I wanted to mention it again, because I don't know if this can be overstated, but every trigger of second wind or these passive stats has to be acquired through RP or life and death battles. We can (and should) nail down guidelines and restrictions for GM posting for these, but the following is true...

• You would have to win four life or death battles without going to 0 Health in order to get the full four hearts. If we assume any two people have a 50/50 matchup, that means you have to flip four heads in a row without flipping any tails to get your full four hearts. And every tail you flip takes away at least one heart, if not all of the hearts you've gained until this. This is a massive hurdle that we can't understate.

• The other way to gain hearts is through GM plots. I imagine this will be less dangerous, but it will also be a massive word sink where your only reward is the heart. Over the course of gaining four hearts its not unlikely that the player could have simply put those words towards EXP and gained the 10 levels (1000 stats) instead. And that is not counting that each heart has to be replaced.

TL;DR

I think given that this is the core focus of the bloodline (and this bloodline is pretty focused) this bonus for -8 SP total is fair. However, if we are still in contention here I think that finding a way to compromise on the stat bonus or finding a way to handle the 4 second winds would be the best way to go about it. I would suggest possibly adding a cap to the bonus stats that can be gained per heart as a starting point.

Comparing it to Mokuton, it does have the ability to reach and surpass the bonus given by Mokuton or Nankan, but it also requires a massive sink of resources into those stats first. The flat bonus given by Mokuton, Nankan, or even the Chakra/Stamina training skills is good because it allows you to put stat points in other places earlier on.

@Ichigo and @wolfnin feel free to jump in here since this will directly impact your characters. I don't want to make changes that you are against, just realize that the cost does have to go up because it was too low at -1 SP per rank.

Updated the Heart Acquisition rules to give solid guidelines for GM arcs. It is equivalent to an A Rank mission with a 25% chance to fail. With this addition I feel like we can actually discuss the acquisition of a heart in concrete terms. Minimum of 32,000 words to get four hearts (likely 40,000 words if done only through the 'safer' GM arcs), and they have to write 8,000 words or put their life on the line to get a new heart each time one breaks due to the Second WInd effect.

I also cleaned up the rules for gaining a heart in combat. No functional change, just used more concrete wording so there is less chance to misinterpret. 

With the updates to stitchcraft, and the requirements for obtaining hearts through GM arcs clearly defined, I think this is much more acceptable than the previous iterations. I'm inclined to agree with tony that if you make it cost much more its not going to be a viable bloodline due to the heavy costs in terms of SP and time/words written. And if they want to spam missions, A ranks still have a guaranteed 25% fail chance, the die roller is enough of a bitch to make that relevant. 

Everything else seems to have been worked out/balanced as well, so I will give this my stamp of approval. 

Approved.

Lower the HP percent by 1, to 7%. And the chk/stm percent by 1, to 5%.

Using Mari as an example, that would put you at:

2670 * .07 = 187 per heart
4150 * .05 = 208 per heart

Total Benefit Per Heart = 395 * 4 hearts = 1580 Total Gain. That is still higher than the maximum amount from any single bloodline, admittedly with a hefty investiture of CXP to make it so. But the fact that the Bloodline CAN increase by spending CXP is a factor in our decision, as opposed to just doing "Increase by 1x for each heart" and giving this a hard cap we can judge.

An "average" level 120 would be about 1200 HP and probably 3000 Chk/Stm, which would look more like:

1200 * .07 = 84 per heart
3000 * .05 = 150 per heart
Total Benefit Per Heart = 234 * heart hearts = 936, which is right in line with Mokuton at 1000. These numbers line up for a -8 SP investiture.

If you desire, you can skew this more towards HP bonuses and less towards Chk/Stm bonuses, as the HP scales slower since characters are expected to have less of it. So you can aim for 10% and 4% perhaps, but I havent done the math there.

Can we agree to never use Mari ever again for any kind of example of stats? The man has 20,800 stats. That's 8,300 stats over a level 120. That is 166,000 CXP. That is leveling to 120 two and a half times after already hitting 120. This is an unobtainable character stats, and if you level up that much then the bonus you're outlining isn't really much at all.

Instead, let's talk about more realistic values outlined in the above post. Those values are averages from the AU tournament. It does scale with CXP, but there is a massive investment to obtain hearts which permanently disappear when destroyed in battle and must be re-obtained. I don't think the real world application of a character who is level 360+ equivalent are something we should balance around. If it becomes a problem we can pull it back and deal with it, but I have a thought that it will not.