Cellar Door

Sennin Mōdo | Sage Mode | 仙人モード

1URcyCe.gif

Sennin Mōdo | Sage Mode | 仙人モード
[Advanced System]

Sennin Mōdo | Sage Mode | 仙人モード
Description: Natural energy is a form of energy that is produced by plants, animals, the earth and the atmosphere around the earth. It is easily sensed by the animals due to their close connection to nature. For humans however, natural energy is extremely difficult to sense at best. Most humans are only vaguely aware of the existence of such an energy.

Those who seek to not only sense the natural flows of energy in the world but also master the control over them are called sages. Since ancient times these sages have sought out the wisest members of the animal kingdom to befriend and learn from so that they might learn to properly absorb natural energy into their bodies and mingle it with the physical and spiritual energies that make up chakra. When properly combined the body creates a unique form of chakra called senjutsu chakra, which is the foundation of the heightened state known as sage mode.

While in sage mode, a sage's body takes on the traits of an animal that they have a summoning contract with to varying degrees. A sage that cannot perfectly balance the energies in their body tends to appear more bestial, while a sage with complete mastery of senjutsu tends only to add a darker pigment around the eyes and turn the iris of the eye a rich, golden color (occasionally the pupil of the eye also takes on an animalistic appearance).

The powers that are conferred by Sage Mode are wondrous and allow a shinobi to far exceed their natural capabilities. Strength, speed, stamina, reflexes, perception, and endurance are heightened to a supernatural level, and the senjutsu chakra infusing the body can be manipulated to allow the use of more powerful jutsu. The perception of a sage is so great that they capable of sensing chakra at great distances.

As power as it is, Sage Mode does not come without a number of disadvantages. Most notably, the gathering of natural energy can only be done while perfectly still. Even the act of entering Sage Mode can leave one vulnerable to attack. This need for stillness also makes it impossible to regenerate natural energy, giving Sage Mode a limited duration in battle.

Activation/Upkeep Rules:
Sage Mode may be activated as a Full-Turn Action (consumes all phases and activates at the beginning of the following turn) 
The effects of all advanced regeneration skills are negated while Sage Mode is active. 
A character may have Sage Mode active for a total of 2+x Turns per battle. (The value of x is equal to 2 at Jonin-Rank, and 4 at Sennin-Rank) 
 Activation Cost: 15% Total Chakra & 15% Total Stamina 
Upkeep Cost: 10% Total Chakra & 10% Total Stamina 

zymLse1.gif

image.png.bc9a6bdac4d1a1a41d0c245b9b06b08b.png Imperfect Sage Mode
Description: The least powerful form of Sage Mode tends to be the first stage that is attained by a prospective sage. Though the abilities granted at this level are still notably powerful, they do reflect the user's inability to properly balance their own chakra with the natural energy that they gather. In this form they display all of the powers of a sage with perfect mastery of Sage Moge, but to a lesser degree of strength. The physical changes to appearance while in this form can be striking, causing the user to take on extremely blatant, animal traits to reflect the imbalance of natural energy within their body. The eye of a sage within this stage of Sage Mode does not usually take on a fully golden hue, instead appearing grayish or silver.
Requirements: Level 70, Contract Manager, 20-Post Training

Sage Mode Senjutsu – Rank One
Effect: While Sage Mode is active, characters with this skill gain access to the ‘Senjutsu Chakra’ and Senjutsu’ statistics. Senjutsu Chakra is a tank statistic and its value is equivalent to 50% of the character’s total Health, Stamina, and Chakra combined, and may be used to pay for any cost that would require Health, Stamina, or Chakra (Not including damage). Senjutsu is a non-tank statistic and its value is equivalent to 75% of the character’s total Taijutsu, Ninjutsu, and Genjutsu combined, and is treated as if it were those statistics when attacking or performing techniques (Hybrid techniques are treated as regular techniques while Sage Mode is active). A character's Senjutsu statistic may never be lower than the total value of their highest offensive statistic.
Description: Upon entering Sage Mode, the natural energy quickly infuses the body and massively bolsters both the user's reserves of energy and their physical capabilities. The strength and power of their jutsu are enhanced to levels beyond their normal capabilities, allowing them to perform jutsu that would normally be outside the scope of their ability. Along with enhanced levels of physical and chakra control, users reserves of stamina and chakra are enhanced to extreme levels, allowing them to battle for greater periods of time. 
Cost: -2

Sage Mode Senjutsu Mastery – Rank One
Effect: While Sage Mode is active, characters with this skill may perform techniques with the [Senjutsu] descriptor, and may increase the base cost of any attack that is paid for entirely with Senjutsu Chakra by ‘x’ Senjutsu Chakra to increase the total damage/ghost damage of that attack by +1.25x. The value of ‘x’ may never exceed 100.
Description: In gaining the ability to manipulate senjutsu chakra, sages are also capable of enhancing the jutsu that they had already mastered, making them even more potent. By simply adding additional natural energy to the composition of their attacks, the destructive potential of offensive juts can be greatly increased, while also giving them all of the qualities of other 'sage art' techniques.
Cost: -1

Sage Mode Senjutsu Perception – Rank One
Effect: While Sage Mode is active, characters with this skill gain access to the skills 'Aura Perception; Chakra' and 'Aura Perception; Stamina'. Characters with this skill may pay ‘x’ Senjutsu Chakra in the Response Phase as a Free Action to reduce the total damage/ghost damage of an unresolved attack targeting them by x or to reduce the duration of a status effect(s) with a CP of ‘x’ within an unresolved attack targeting them by 1 turn. Damage reduced in this way may not exceed 15% of the unresolved attack’s total damage and no status effect may be reduced by more than 1 turn, to a minimum of 1 turn.
Description: The proper manipulation of senjutsu chakra opens a new world of sensory information to the user by allowing them to sense the flows of both chakra and natural energy around them. Depending on the level of their mastery, a user could anticipate the attacks of enemies and adjust their defenses to best reduce the impact of their attack based on the composition of their opponent's chakra or they could be capable of detecting the presence of unique chakra signatures at incredibly great distances even hundreds of miles.

Sage Mode Origin – Rank One
Effect: While Sage Mode is active, characters with this skill gain access to 1 'Sage Mode Origin' skill that they meet the requirements for. Characters with this skill and any summons under their control also increase two statistics listed by the 'Sage Mode Origin' skill by +2x, with 'x' being equivalent to their level. This bonus may exceed 1.5x the base statistic. 
Description: Each style of Sage Mode that is granted to a human by way of an animal master is different, and reflects the natural adaptations of those animals. These differences grant sages different abilities that reflect their bond with the animals from whom they learned their abilities, and displays the strength of that bond. 

7ql9dTf.gif

image.png.4c3f4d11998883f27fbc6f1663e3ef7b.png Perfect Sage Mode
Description: With a perfected control over the balance of natural energy and chakra within their body, a sage is capable of reaching new heights of power within Sage Mode. Their physical abilities are increased to a level beyond compare, and their level of sensory awareness increases to the point where they can judge various chakra signatures at great distances. Physically, a sage with this level of control does not change very much. Their eyes tend to retain an animalistic appearance and become a rich gold or yellow in color, and the only visible indicator that their bodies are charged with senjutsu chakra tend to be darker pigmentations around the eyes that denote their heightened state.
Restrictions: Additional ranks in Sage Mode skills do not stack with the effects of previous ranks.
Requirements: Level 90, Contract Manager, 20-Post Training

Sage Mode Senjutsu – Rank Two
Effect: While Sage Mode is active, characters with this skill gain access to the ‘Senjutsu Chakra’ and Senjutsu’ statistics. Senjutsu Chakra is a tank statistic and its value is equivalent to the character’s total Health, Stamina, and Chakra combined, and may be used to pay for any cost that would require Health, Stamina, or Chakra (Not including damage). Senjutsu is a non-tank statistic and its value is equivalent to the character’s total Taijutsu, Ninjutsu, and Genjutsu combined, and is treated as if it were those statistics when attacking or performing techniques (Hybrid techniques are treated as regular techniques while Sage Mode is active).
Description: Upon entering Sage Mode, the natural energy quickly infuses the body and massively bolsters both the user's reserves of energy and their physical capabilities. The strength and power of their jutsu are enhanced to levels beyond their normal capabilities, allowing them to perform jutsu that would normally be outside the scope of their ability. Along with enhanced levels of physical and chakra control, users reserves of stamina and chakra are enhanced to extreme levels, allowing them to battle for greater periods of time. 

Sage Mode Senjutsu Mastery – Rank Two
Effect: While Sage Mode is active, characters with this skill may perform techniques with the [Senjutsu] descriptor, and may increase the base cost of any attack that is paid for entirely with Senjutsu Chakra by ‘x’ Senjutsu Chakra to increase the total damage/ghost damage of that attack by +1.5x. The value of ‘x’ may never exceed 200.
Description: In gaining the ability to manipulate senjutsu chakra, sages are also capable of enhancing the jutsu that they had already mastered, making them even more potent. By simply adding additional natural energy to the composition of their attacks, the destructive potential of offensive juts can be greatly increased, while also giving them all of the qualities of other 'sage art' techniques.

Sage Mode Senjutsu Perception – Rank Two
Effect: While Sage Mode is active, characters with this skill gain access to the skills 'Aura Perception; Chakra' and 'Aura Perception; Stamina'. Characters with this skill may pay ‘x’ Senjutsu Chakra in the Response Phase as a Free Action to reduce the total damage/ghost damage of an unresolved attack targeting them by x or to reduce the duration of a status effect(s) with a CP of ‘x’ within an unresolved attack targeting them by 1 turn. Damage reduced in this way may not exceed 30% of the unresolved attack’s total damage and no status effect may be reduced by more than 2 turns, to a minimum of 1 turn.
Description: The proper manipulation of senjutsu chakra opens a new world of sensory information to the user by allowing them to sense the flows of both chakra and natural energy around them. Depending on the level of their mastery, a user could anticipate the attacks of enemies and adjust their defenses to best reduce the impact of their attack based on the composition of their opponent's chakra or they could be capable of detecting the presence of unique chakra signatures at incredibly great distances even hundreds of miles.

Sage Mode Origin – Rank Two
Effect: While Sage Mode is active, characters with this skill gain access to 1 'Sage Mode Origin' skill that they meet the requirements for. Characters with this skill and any summons under their control also increase two statistics listed by the 'Sage Mode Origin' skill by +3x, with 'x' being equivalent to their level. This bonus may exceed 1.5x the base statistic. 
Description: Each style of Sage Mode that is granted to a human by way of an animal master is different, and reflects the natural adaptations of those animals. These differences grant sages different abilities that reflect their bond with the animals from whom they learned their abilities, and displays the strength of that bond.
Cost: -3

• Like 2

Designer's Notes:
I removed the WIP tag on this, mostly because I can just pull it back when the other stuff for Six Paths Sage Mode or Tailed Beast/Yokai Sage Mode become more solid. Needless to say, this is ready to be approved.

Changes:

Format: Nick's was weird. It had 2 levels, but only 1 level requirement, which kind of made you never want to be an imperfect sage. This gives you imperfect sage mode earlier, and makes it a little weaker. I also pushed the req on Perfect Sage Mode to 90, because I wanted it to feel like something that you only got for being a bad-ass.
Duration: Big one here. 2+x (2/4). So for Jonin, you get 4 turns of this shiz. Sennin get 6. Since I've scaled back the power level some from the previous incarnation, I think this will help keep it from being just strictly weaker than other bloodlines and advanced systems.
Sage Mode Senjutsu: Not much has changed here from how the previous version worked. It still merges the stats together. Imperfect does it worse now.
Sage Mode Senjutsu Mastery: The previous Sage Mode had something similar to this as well. I like this ability because in the canon we saw many sages take normal techniques and enhance them with Sage Chakra.
Sage Mode Perception: Getting Aura Perception is basically just for flavor. I've never seen these be that useful in battle. The real effect is just something I thought would be good. Sage Mode works around getting a new resource stat, so I figured the abilities should spend that resource. Maybe it's just me. I dunno.
Sage Mode Origin: The previous Sage Mode touched on this, but I think this new move is a little bit slicker in implementation. You and summons get a boost. (the boost is considerably lower than most bloodlines.) and you get a skill based around the form of Sage Mode you have.

I realized after you said that, that skill was still looking like it's prototype form. Nerfed it's power considerably. 15% damage reduction and -1 turn of a status effect are really good for a free action at level 70, and 30% and -2 turns of a status effect are fabulous at level 90. So, that's probably one of the better skills in the AS.

After some discussions for cleaning this up held on discord (clarified that ranks do not stack, for one, fixing a weird little problem with Origins), I think this is a lot better now. Sorry for making you add clutter to your Sage Mode, KC.

Very, very strong for bringing together thinly spread hybrid users, but the full turn activation, turn limit and high activation cost help to balance that, and the effects are comparatively minimal for someone who was heavily stacked in one direction anyway. I agree that Perception is probably one of the stronger and more versatile abilities in this kit, but the minimum of 1 turn means that it won't be touching many of the most deadly status effects anyway. I can't speak for other people, but I would imagine the best use of it would be for preventing long term lockdown, which kind of kills Sage Mode as a concept, so that's fitting.

If anything else was replicating these kinds of effects I would probably have priced them a lot higher, but this is Sage Mode and the tight (4 for jonin, 6 for sennin) turn limit means they won't be in play for most of a battle, unless your battles are really fast, so I'd view that a little more leniently.

yuraneapproval.png

Moved back because of course I would. I have a few issues with this that I talked about with KC on voice last night but wanted to lay out in writing.

• Sage Mode is a lot more like a Yokai than it is other advanced systems. You get access to a massive pool of resources that you can use for things for a few turns that basically makes everything "free" while your opponent has to spend real resources to interact. This is the core strength of the mode above all other abilities by head and shoulders. The following are pros and cons compared to yokai.

Major Con: Unlike Yokai, this takes a full turn to activate. This is a massive downside and requires you to play around it. Either you activate this turn 1 (very good) or you get an open turn by either forcing an opponent to RPJ or hit them with Stunned. Even when you do you give up the tempo you gained to activate this, giving your opponent effectively the first "move" and giving them tempo. You QUICKLY gain back tempo after giving it away however, see below.

Pro: You can spend your resource on anything. Your new chakra can be used on any attack you want and you also get two unique abilities to spend it on as well; defensive damage reduction and damage boosting. Compared to Yokai Chakra which can only be used for yokai attacks specifically (two specific jutsu) and paying for the AS itself. 

Pro: Damage Boosting - you can pump up an attack for a free resource that will force an opponent to answer it with real resources they are using. If you attack with a 800 Senjutsu Chakra attack your opponent needs to spend 800 CP of real resources to RPJ that. That's a massive resource swing.

Pro: Damage Reduction - In addition to applying hard pressure you can also passively remove pressure by reducing status effects or damage incoming. So you both pump your attacks and lessen your opponents meaning its is incredibly more likely that you will have control of the battle to make your opponent break the tempo or risk being overwhelmed.

So that is my frame when I am looking at this. Based on what I've laid out I don't think it's as far off from being okay as I've made it seem. Here are my requests to bring this in line some.

• ABSOLUTELY DO NOT APPROVE WAYS TO SKIP THE SKIPPING THE TURN REQUIREMENT. The second this goes live SOMEONE is going to make the "Naruto used his clones and skipped their turn instead of his turn" bullshit to sidestep this requirement. It is pretty critical that we keep the "skip your turn" part as its pretty crucial to the balance. If there IS any way to sidestep this it should come in the form of skill points and should absolutely still be difficult to pull off. Like if it was a clone thing it should take more than 1 turn and cost SP so that an opponent can destroy the clones in response and interact. 

• Reduce the damage you can pump into this. +450 damage is a shit ton.

• Reduce the stat bonuses. Currently is 4x, please change to 2x and 3x instead.

We can look at it again after these changes are made.

Alright, sooooo.

Changes:
Increased Activation & Upkeep: Your biggest issue was that the ability to use a free resource was extremely rough on the opponent. I agree, especially since this isn't like a Yokai, where you need to write words to replenish this bonus and the resource can be spent on anything. Soooo, what I've done is increased the cost of this ability quite a lot. It now costs 15% of your stamina and chakra to activate, and 10% per turn after that. Making it by far the most costly advanced system in the game. If a Sennin were to spend his entire time in Sage Mode he would come out of it -75% in the red. Prior to, this would have been around 40% total lost. 
Reduced Senjutsu Mastery Damage Potential: I reduced the cap to 100 (125 damage) and 200 (300 damage), respectively, but elected to keep the increase to base cost here. With the increased cost on the upkeep, I think this is acceptable, especially with the lowered totals. Now, rather than inflating the cost of a Response Phase technique beyond reason, it would more or less nullify the benefits of say... Inner Calm in a Sennin vs Sennin battle. I don't think that's insane in most cases.
Reduced the stat bonuses provided by Senjutsu Origin: Done as requested.

Pulled this baby back after talking with C14 a bit in the Origin Skill for toads, and I think the last branch of this Advanced System was not paying enough for what it was doing at all. In accordance with that, I pulled it back and upped the cost of Sage Mode Origin's ranks from 1 & 1 to 2 & 3. This should help pay for the Origin skill that they get and to give people wiggle room to make cool stuff, and cover all the modest stat bonus.