disthawk12

Ranton | Storm Release | 嵐遁

YEGhNYr.gif

GmoMp3y.png Ranton | Storm Release | 嵐遁
DSbppsz.png

Descriptions:

Ranton | Storm Release | 嵐遁

Many bloodlines are the inheritance of a clan, the bond between a family that sets them apart from lesser ninja, but the Ranton bloodline is one of the rare few that exists, in some way, in the heart of all Kumogakure natives. The storm release bloodline has very few documented appearances, and was made most famous by the legendary Kumo-nin Darui during the Fourth Shinobi World War was a masterful user of the bloodline, throwing incredible barrages of Storm chakra that few could stand against. In time, despite efforts, the village was unable to replicate the Ranton manifestation and contented itself with its shinobi learning the more simplistic Storm jutsu that Darui had created in his time. Since then, the village has kept its eyes out for any who show the power that Darui once did. Those who came after him showed no special talent for it, and the few times it has resurfaced since the people have been related only by virtue of being born in families native to the village. To this end, some believe now that it harks back to a common ancestor to all the native members of the village, and it just a select few who awaken the true legacy of the village. Not only does the bloodline enhance the ability to control, guide and utilize Storm Release jutsu to their absolute maximum, but it awakens a shocking power beyond that of just mixing lightning and water together. The true inheritors to Kumogakure’s destiny stand with the combined natures of their homeland at their every beck and call, creating a deadly force few can compare to. Though its origins are obscure, its possessors a once in a generation rarity, none can doubt the effect that Ranton wielders have on the world around them when they walk it.

Restrictions: Ranks of the following skills may be purchased once every 20 levels.

Ranton Affinity – Rank One

Effect: Characters with this skill gain the skill ‘Combinatorial; Storm’ for 0 Skill Points. The skill 'Combinatorial; Storm' replaces their village bonus skill. When purchasing the skill ‘Ninjutsu Mastery; Storm’, characters with this skill may purchase 2 ranks for 1 Skill Point. Description: Shinobi born with the Ranton Kekkei Genkai are capable of unnaturally skillful and flowing storm chakra manipulation. In stark contrast to the flashy but unrefined storm techniques of those who train themselves to utilize the Storm Release, possessors of this bloodline share a mutual understanding of the tempestuous nature of their natural element.
Cost: -1

Ranton Guiding – Rank [ - ]
Effect: When applying the effects of skill 'Subtle Elements; Lightning' to a technique of the 'Storm' element, a character with this skill gains an additional 4x% chance to hit, where 'x' is equivalent to the character's rank in this skill. This bonus is halved for Concentration based attacks. Additionally, once per battle per 2 ranks in this skill, a character with this skill can change the effect of Subtle Elements; Lightning to 'All Storm techniques ignore barriers and shields.' for the duration of one attack.
Description: Storm natured chakra is extremely versatile and fluid. In the hands of a shinobi born with the Ranton kekkei genkai, this fluidity becomes even greater. Their accuracy becomes pinpoint, some say their attacks almost chase their opponents across the battlefield. Even opponents hiding behind cover are not impossible to reach to shinobi who master the Storm Release bloodline.
Maximum Ranks: 4
Cost: -1

Ranton Control – Rank [ - ]

Effect: When applying the effects of skill 'Subtle Elements; Water' to a technique of the 'Storm' element, a character with this skill may reduce the cost of that technique by an additional 5x%, where 'x' is equivalent to the character's rank in this skill. Additionally, once per battle per 2 ranks in this skill, a character with this skill may triple the base cost of a Storm Ninjutsu. This technique is considered an Area of Effect technique that targets all other characters on the field.

Description: Beyond the electrifying nature of Storm chakra, true naturals learn to manipulate the fluidity with impossible ease. Techniques can be summoned with the smallest exertions of effort, and true masters can split their attacks so that a single bolt can scour a battlefield of life, hunting down all foes no matter where they hide.

Maximum Ranks: 4

Ranton Suppression – Rank [ - ]

Effect: When a character with this skill makes an attack with the 'Storm' element, they may elect not to apply one 'Subtle Elements;' skill to the technique. If they do so, the attack gains a 20x% chance of inflicting the status effect 'Metabolic Shock [1]', where 'x' is equivalent to the character's rank in this skill.

Description: Electricity and Storm run hand in hand, and because of this those born with the Storm nature have incredible capacity to supercharge the electrical currents that their techniques devastate with, coursing storm energy through their body and leaving foes weakened, their chakra systems failing as the sudden overload forces them into a state of shock.

Maximum Ranks: 4

Edited by disthawk12

Ranton Affinity: Standard, no problems.

Ranton Guiding: Adding +8 to hit on the second strike is fine I think. The active ability is a bit strange though. I understand the design idea, but if you're throwing a full-strength jutsu into a shield/barrier it generally goes down. If you're throwing something weaker to proc this, then 20% of that smaller damage is going to tickle at best. The skill rewards you for not killing the barrier, in a way? It feels a little awkward. If I were taking this bloodline I'd just ignore it because...

Ranton Control: Holy heck this is insane. 50% cost reduction on all Storm jutsu, permanently, for 4SP, that a normal genin can take at lv15? That's not going to fly.

Ranton Suppression: Given the existence of Ranton Control, why do you even want this? If this triggers, you have to pay twice as much as you would otherwise to add a rider to the jutsu that might hit.

You're definitely on a good path, but some fine-tuning might help as it seems like there's very little synergy within these abilities. I can offer suggestions if you'd like, but I'm also interested in seeing what you come up with! Storm in its current form is pretty new, so there's a lot of design space to explore. Nice job so far!

1. I got to talk to Prince about this one cause he helped a lot on this and he understands it better than I do 

2.you can only get 1 rank per 20 levels 

so a rank 15 genin wouldn't even have it yet and it would only be full strength at level 80 

I think that part is wrong again ill talk to prince^ but the non-italic stuff is totally true 

Edited by disthawk12

Ah, I didn't realise there was a blanket restriction. That definitely helps, but if you look at contemporary skills its still wildly cheap. Inner Calm at Sennin rank is -200 chakra for 10sp; this could easily net you -400 for -4. Heck, since it's percentage based, it could save you 1000 chakra on a forbidden technique. I'm not opposed to the idea itself, but it needs to double in price and lose some efficiency (and for me it would still feel like the best skill of the bloodline).

The accuracy modifier actually already applies to the second strike, so I reverted back to KCs original +8X% with X being ranks in the skill, Tokei just forgot to port it over.

And guiding is the one I am having the most trouble with, Tokei wants it to interact with barriers and shields, as KC's original straight up ignored them. I didn't want it to be 'pick whatever you want and just utterly shut down one facet of the game', that felt too much to be, so as is now if you hit a barrier you deal 1.2x total damage, with 20% of that going onto hit the opponent. Furthermore, in combination with the Storm Cloak skill that PMM and Tokei worked on, that second strike can become more powerful and meaningfully so, so it allows for getting some early damage past the foe's defences, so that the time they spend with a shield isn't a net total loss for you. I was considering making it if any amount of damage is blocked by a shield or barrier the second strike is rolled as if the jutsu missed, meaning if you decimate their barrier and have heaps of carry over damage, you get to really pummel them? 

And yes, control is crazy good, that one I left more or less as KC had written it so as to see roughly what shot through as passable numbers to get the best deal for tokei possible, I've gone low previously and gotten it approved when it could have been better, so I'd rather aim high and rework it down than aim low and get approved and immediately made useless.

How about this, we make lightning +4X% chance to hit per rank (taking at max rank up to +34% chance to hit) and make control +5X% reduction (taking at making 30% off the cost of techniques). Then, this bloodline is created with Path of the Elementalist in mind, hence why it's all pegged to those subtle element additions. Suppression is a funny one, and again it's an area I'm somewhat hamstrung in by Tokei's liking the skill as KC wrote it. Originally it didn't require subbing out a subtle element to get it, just every storm release tech had that chance. Would that fly? 

ok I've got an idea what if we make it so that you can only get ranks of control every other 20 levels mean only on like 20 40 80 120 , 20 being an exception and im ok with making it 2 sp per rank

Edited by disthawk12

Control: 50% reduction from one line of skills won't work. It's also overkill, especially if you roll a Water Specialty, have Shiva, or more than 0 Concentration. I think Princess' idea will be much easier to approve, and you can work it into your character build a lot sooner.

Guiding: if I'm reading it right, +4x% is +16% at max rank, +8 for the original lightning for +24%? I'm not finding 34. If I'm right, I'd approve it at 4x. The active though... you don't deal 1.2x damage. If you hit and if you break their shield/barrier then that's the end of it, no second strike. If you hit and don't break it, you get a chance to deal 0.2x damage to them, ignoring their shield/barrier. If you miss, you get a chance to deal 0.2x damage to the shield/barrier (likely not enough to break it). Obviously it's simpler with Barriers as you auto-hit them, but with shields you have to factor in stuff like blocking as well as dodge rolls. And what if your target has two shields/barriers? As written, since you're not dealing all your damage to a barrier (as opposed to barriers), it doesn't work. 

Pretty sure this is why KC made it straight up ignore these defenses, which I'm actually ok with. If your entire plan falls apart because your barrier was ignored once or twice, you've got bigger problems. There's plenty of counterplay. If it destroyed them automatically I'd have to think about it, but ignoring it? I don't mind that at all. It will have to be declared when you make the attack though.

Suppression: I feel there are two ways to go about it. You can just make it a straight % chance to trigger, in which case I'd like to knock it down to 30% max or so. Or if you want to sub out the SE effect, you could go for a much higher percentage.

I was writing that on phone with a busted thumb, 24 is what I meant I just typo'd as 34 man. 

For control, I'd keep it subbing out the subtle, maaybe make is 20% per rank? So it caps out as 80%? Since I feel the whole 'Drop the subtle for a cool effect' part is nifty and makes you think more about doing it.

If you reckon ignoring them will fly, then Tokei edit that back in, I had assumed it wouldn't go through but hey, if it will then that's awesome.

Nice wording update, it's much clearer now. Control's active effect will need to specify that you triple the technique's base cost, and that it targets all other characters. I don't think you need Control and Guiding's active effect to replace the SE Bonus, it feels overly complicated since you might also be doing that with Suppression.

I'd like @Cellar Door to chime in, if only because he was the one who laid the bones for the bloodline. Assuming he's happy with it, so am I.

The main reason it replaces the subtle is in turn paying part of the cost. You lose the cost reduction from control to instead do AoE, you loose the to hit chance of guiding to instead gain barrier and damage ignoring. That's why I subbed them out, so you wouldn't be getting those effects for free, in either case you're paying with some other element of the attack to get that effect. Maybe instead of tripling the cost for control we can increase the base cost by *1.5, and consider the loss of 20-30% cost reduction to make up for the rest of the usual cost of an AoE jutsu?

1.5x wouldn't work, since 1.5 would be the absolute best cost reduction you could get assuming 3x as a base. And then you'd get it cheaper thanks to con/shiva/tree walking/who-knows-what-else. If you wanted it to substitute for the cost reduction portion of Control, I'd take a stab at 2x with the proviso that it can't be reduced beneath 1.5x cost.

...As far as 'the creator of the bloodline', is that Princess or Disthawk or KC?

Edited by Peregine

Well, now that we've established that you're willing to take 3x base cost for AOEs (albeit in different wording), you can change it to this much simpler wording: 'Additionally, once per battle per 2 ranks in this skill, a character with this skill may triple the base cost of a Storm Ninjutsu. This technique is considered an Area of Effect technique that targets all other characters on the field.'

kira-laugh.gif?resize=500,278

But seriously. You need to pay 3x the value of the attack. 2x and no cost reduction from this skill is basically the same thing, but only at the highest rank of this skill. Otherwise, you're getting a boatload of free value out of nothing. It breaks the First Rule of NA: 'CP cannot be created nor destroyed.' XD

Edited by Peregine