Princess

Reikai no Hansha [Ikiryō Clan]

Kekkei Genkai:

Reikai no Hansha|Spirit World Reflections|霊界の反射

The Reikai no Hansha is, at best, a tale told to children in Denchi no Kuni. Once, or so the stories go, a powerful group of spiritualists could communicate with the dead, stare directly into the spirit of an individual or, if angered, tear the spirit from an unfortunate victim’s very being. Equal parts mystical guardians and vengeful spectres in lore, the bearers of these ancient eyes are said to have long since perished at the hands of Orochimaru’s cruel experiments and in a hazily remembered final stand as guardians of the Daimyo of the nation before he’s fall. Whatever the case, since 1962 AA sightings of the bloodline have been sketchy at best, traumatised war wounded claiming to have been saved at the last second by a pale eyed angel, criminals who have targeted the poor farmers of Denchi no Kuni muttering about spectres of death haunting them. Insofar as official records are concerned, the Reikai no Hansha no longer exists.

The truth, however, is a little stranger. Though divided now, the descendants of the rice country spiritualists still live on today, with the genetic memory of their bloodline hidden away. Few ever realise this though, as great lengths were gone to by their ancestors to limit the knowledge of the bloodline and their shared relation, to keep the safe from persecution or worse. The eyes, key to unlocking the Reikai no Hansha, cannot see what is dead until they themselves have died. Long ago, a ritualistic ceremony removed the eyes of young children in the clan for the required year before returning them ‘enlightened’. With the loss of these practices, it is only by rare chance that a descendant of the spiritualists will have their eyes removed but kept in tact, and an even rarer chance that they will be returned to be activated. Owing to the rare circumstances of activation, the vast majority who possess the potential for this bloodline will never know the power they carry.

Restrictions: The Reikai no Hansha may not be stolen or gifted via transfusion (full or semi) prior to the completion of the Rei o Mite ritual. The character must have the hindering skill 'Blind' to begin unlocking the bloodline.

Unlocking: A character wishing to unlock this bloodline must perform special acts to unlock each stage of the bloodline. Each stage has a level requirement, and once that level requirement is met the symbolic requirement can be attempted. Listed below is each stage and its requirements:

Rei o Mite Ritual: At any time once the character reaches level 15, they must have their eyes re-implanted surgically in a 1,500 word hospital thread. 

Reiniku Ritual: At any time once the character reaches level 30, they must reduce themselves to 0 ghost health (either in battle or an RP thread). Once they do so, they must perform a 2,500 word thread in which they navigate the spirit world to locate their body and reunite them, which will activate this stage

Reijitsugen Ritual: At any time once the character reaches level 70, they may target a defeated character that is unconscious with 0 Ghost Health. Once they do so, they may ritually consume the spirit of the defeated character. This process takes two consecutive Main Phases, and upon completion the defeated character is permanently killed and the character activates this stage. If, at any time between Main Phases, the character is hit by an attack the processes fails and must be repeated from the beginning. 

Stages: The Reikai no Hansha possesses two primary stages, the first representing what is seen and the second representing what is felt. As they grow into their new eyes, bearers of the Reikai no Hansha find that navigating the differences between the real world and the spirit world increasingly difficult. A third stage exists, but it is considered separate from the main stages in character as a forbidden path to walk down. The first stage (Rei o Mite) is simply a series of passive skills. The second stage and third stages (Reiniku and Reijitsugen respectively) make up the Advanced System of this bloodline.

Activation/Upkeep: The Advanced System of this bloodline take a Setup Phase action to activate and deactivate. Upkeep is paid at the end of every Setup Phase the Advanced System is active.

Rei o Mite|Seeing Spirits|霊を見て

The primary form of the Reikai no Hansha, this stage is the awakened form of the bloodline manifested in the eyes. The sclera turns a pale lavender, the iris varying shades of light blues and greens, and the pupil takes on a darkened tone of the iris, giving an unnatural appearance to the bearer. Though their outward appearance otherwise remains unchanged, with these eyes the bearer can see aspects of reality forbidden to others, the spirit world. They can see the spirits of those around them as shadowy doppelgangers, the power which gave their ancestors their role as spiritualists.

Requirements: Reikai no Hansha bloodline, completed Rei o Mite Ritual, Level 15

Soul Sight
Description: As the user grows more used to viewing souls in combat, they learn to focus as much on their foes’ movements as their own. By matching their intent with their foes, the Rei o Mite bearer can accurately predict weak points in their opponent's spiritual defences, exploiting them to drastically enhance their restorative abilities.
Effect: The character can see the ‘spirits’ of all living things. Non-living objects such as stone, metals and the like, are not affected by this skill.
This character may, once per battle per rank in this skill, add the following text to one of their non-physical techniques which targets one or more opponents.
"This technique may critically hit". 
Requirements: Rei o Mite Ritual Complete, Bonded Ectoplasm
Ranks: 2
Cost: -1

Ethereal Perception
Description: The body takes a short period of time to react to the messages sent from the brain, and while most people are conditioned not to notice the delay in through to action, the wielders of the Reikai no Hansha are uniquely adept at exploiting this fact. To them, the mind acts on a similar delay to messages from the spirit, which form an individual’s ‘intent’. By reacting to the intent as the spirit acts it out a split second before the body follows through, they are more able to respond to threats than one who relies only on reacting to what the body does.
Effect: Increase the user's Block Range by 2x, where x is equal to their rank in this skill. In addition, whenever the user successfully Blocks an attack due to a Dodge Roll, the user increases their Chance to Hit on their next attack this turn by y%, where y is the difference between the Chance to Hit and the user's Dodge Roll. This bonus is halved for Concentration based attacks and the value may not exceed 8x.
Requirements: Rei o Mite Ritual Complete, Bonded Ectoplasm. Ranks may only be purchased every 10 levels.
Ranks: 5
Cost: -2 for the first rank, subsequent ranks cost -1

Reiniku|Spirit Flesh|霊肉

To some, this is the true form of the Reikai no Hansha, though it is one rarely realised. For some, the ability to see the spirit world and interact with it is more than enough. Others fall victim to the addiction the use of this bloodline caries. Still others simply wish to become a part of the world they have grown to know so well and yet cannot be one with. To that end, the spirit and body are joined into one. A draining experience, and a dangerous one at that, though few who are caught on the receiving end of a ninja armed with this power would doubt its prowess. The hands and feet appear blackened, as if covered in ash, while the bloodline is inactive, and feel cold to the touch. While the Reiniku is activated, however, these blackened parts turn all but transparent and take on an intangible quality, which can be spread to other parts of their body with some effort. They hover just above the ground, granting them a ghostly visage which more than earns the tales of death spectres that originate with this bloodline.

Requirements: Reiniku Ritual Completed, Level 30

Upkeep: 5% Ghost Health 5% Chakra, all Advanced Regen is suspended while Reiniku is active.

Spiritual Impermanence
Description: The result of merging the spirit and body into a single form is that is takes on aspects of both. These changes are fluid and difficult to control, but the end result is a body that is capable of ignoring physical matter in select circumstances. A powerful ability, though not one without downsides as they become more attuned to metaphysical matter, and with it attacks of the same nature.
Effect: For the sake of this skill, x is equal to the user's rank in this skill. While Rekai no Hansha is active, the character takes 10x% less total damage from attacks that deal Physical Damage. The character takes 10x% more total damage from any attack which deals Ghost Damage. All damage dealt to the user is converted to Ghost Damage after modifiers have been applied. When this Advanced System is deactivated, (100/x)% of all Ghost Damage dealt to this user while the Advanced System was activated is immediately dealt to them as Unmodified Physical Damage.
Roleplay Effect: The character may roleplay limited flight and levitation, and may pass through solid matter that is not chakra-enhanced. (The walls of a building are no barrier, but a earthen shield generated by a jutsu cannot be ignored.)
Restriction: Rank 1 can only be taken after the Reniku Ritual is Completed. Rank 2 can only be taken after the Rejitsugen Ritual is Completed
Cost: -2

Spectral Parasitism
Description: The nature of the spirit world prevents objects belonging to it from dwelling in the real world for too long, a fate the wielders of the Reikai no Hansha know all too well. Their ectoplasm bleeds out as it is forced to materialise, and if they are not careful these warriors can accidentally weaken their spirits to the point of total spiritual exhaustion. To circumvent this, their spirits adapt to the real world, siphoning off what little essence they can to sustain themselves.
Effect: For every 10/x Ghost Damage this character deals they will heal 1 Ghost Health, where x is equal to their rank in this skill. 
Restriction: Rank 1 can only be taken after the Reniku Ritual is Completed. Rank 2 can only be taken after the Rejitsugen Ritual is Complete
Cost: -2 per rank

Reijitsugen|Spirit Realisation|霊実現

The final stage of the Reikai no Hansha, shrouded in equal parts mystery and fear. Though little known to those who have not studied the history of this bloodline, the act of fully consuming another’s spirit is recognised as a forbidden act even in the comparatively loose standards of Otogakure. Still, to those who seek power, there are few dark paths that can compare with the frightening majesty of the Reijitsugen. To mark the activation of this bloodline, a with the Reiniku the blackened parts of their limbs turn semi-transparent, and a shifting blue aura outlines their body, futher heightening the ghostly image they cultivate.

Requirements: Reijitsugen Ritual Completed, Level 70

Upkeep: 5% Ghost Health 5% Chakra, all Advanced Regen is suspended while Reijitsugen is active.

Passive Effects:

Once attained, Reijitsugen replaces Reiniku. All skills of the Reiniku are now treated as Reijitsugen skills.

Mastery Skills:

Ectoplasmic Mastery:
Description: As an individual experiments with the potential mutability of ectoplasm, they find their mind needs to rapidly adapt to comprehend the boundless potential their bodies now possess. Some spend hours or even days just reshaping their body, and while the changes are momentary at best, in combat there is no doubt that the unpredictable nature of ectoplasm is one of the greatest assets the Reikai o Hansha grants.
Effect: As a Setup Phase Action, the user may deal 150 Unmodified Ghost Damage to themselves. If they do, they will immediately increase the block range granted by Ethereal Perception by 20 for x turns, where x is equal to the user's rank in this skill. If used while Reiniku or Reijitsugen are active, the bonus to Ethereal Perception is increased by an additional 5. This skill may only be activated once every x turns.
Restriction: Ranks in this skill may only be taken once per Ninja Rank. Rank 1 may only be taken after the Reniku Ritual is Complete, and Rank 2 may only be taken after the Rejitsugen Ritual is Complete.
Ranks: 3

Hindering Skills:

Bonded Ectoplasm
Description: Ikiryo are unique creatures, their spirits and physical forms are more closely intertwined than any other clan in the known world, but this connection comes at a price. Since ectoplasm makes up a significant percentage of their physical bodies too, excessive physical damage can cause their spirit to suffer a critical loss of ectoplasm, drastically weakening them when they need that strength most.
Effect: The first time each battle this character's Health reaches 15% of its total or lower, their Ghost Health is set to an equal amount unless it was already lower.
Restriction: Cannot be overcome
Cost: +1

Edited by Princess

Originally approved bloodline is here.

Cleaned up some typos and formatting issues from my last version, and added the ability to drain ghost health for -3sp as part of spectral vampirism. Draining chakra and stamina is 2sp and this bloodline uses ghost health as a resource to pay for it, but also it's just generally healing which is great. I've stipulated the cost of the techniques as well, as it isn't inherently in the rules how to drain health. 

Lastly, an important note on the interactions of this bloodline. It deals unmodified physical damage to the user based off the amount of Ghost Damage they have taken while the AS was activated. That means that healing keeps the AS active longer, but in no way affects the painful downside of deactivating the AS. Since all the damage you take is taken as ghost health, you burn ghost health to pump you block range and you take more damage from natural ghost health sources, and given ghost damage's low caps and mods, the drain will not be mitigating your losses in most battles I can foresee, but will help keep you going longer. There is already an inbuilt demi-drain, but having both suits the theme of the build (everything is ghost health, invest heaps in health and try hold out) and will help resist getting smashed out of your AS and being rendered ineffective for the rest of the battle (as ectoplasmic mastery as given a once per battle limit in its last approval, so you can't really afford to jump in and out of the AS).

Happy to fiddle with costs on that. That is the only real change to this, debate me! Don't come in and say it can't be done, because I will bet you it can, people told me my sword would never gets the ability to copy techniques and look where we are now. 

Also for those keeping track, the bloodline is 26SP, which is quite a bit of an investment.

Edited by Princess

Link to the hindering skill required for this? It's not mainsite, nor is it linked within.

@Soul Sight: Replacing 100% of your accuracy with concentration on any physical attacks... I'm going to have to say this is probably not going to work. This was attempted with the Mizaru and wasn't allowed there, I don't think it'll be allowable here either.

@Ethereal Perception: This is effectively two skills at once - increasing block rate and increasing accuracy if the opponent's attack is blocked. I'd say the first rank should cost 2 to account for that, the rest costing 1 is probably fine.

@the advanced system: This is going to need a chakra upkeep as well. Ghost health is all well and good, but when you've got a built in way to recover and steal ghost health, having it as a cost kind of becomes invalid. If you can keep it on indefinitely (and you can) then any drawbacks for shutting it off don't matter.

Gasp, the hindering skill is gone... I will resub that.

Soul Sight was approved before, I would be quietly confident I could get it again. It takes the place of any statistical increases, and it costs you additional resources to trigger. Mizaru was stacking accuracy and concentration, for free, and tacking on all the benefits. 
That said, that final note makes me think of something, so originally I had it that you'd swap 50X% of your accuracy with 50X% of your concentration, so you'd lose the bonuses of concentration to use it to hit with your other stuff. Kouta didn't like my wording for...obvious reason. But I've changed 'replace' with 'swap', so that the interaction there is clear, there's downsides to it, and all that jazz.

Changed the SP on Ethereal Perception, that change seems fair to me.

Kiiinda disagree with you on the chakra cost for the bloodline. You don't regen ghost health, which is why there's two layers of regaining it, so you're always paying a cost for it and you must actively work to keep it at a net 0 loss. But, you also take all incoming damage as ghost health, so not only do you need to deal more damage than you are losing health on to upkeep it, but also more damage than the opponent is dealing to you, and given that only techniques that are specifically designed and costed to absorb ghost health will be able to do so, it will sandbox what you can do if you're trying to keep up with an opponent who is paying two thirds your cost to deal the same damage. Then at the end, all the ghost damage you have taken is converted into physical damage. Not the amount you have missing, the amount you have taken. So even if you're healing, if you come out of the AS and it's been active for too long, you will drop yourself. So there's a lot to worry about with this bloodline, but keeping it active is kinda super important given it's core block enhancer is a once per battle effect and ending it can easily end you.

Giving this a nifty ping. It's the very bottom thing in approval threads, because people get scared off my stuff. I begrudge no one this reality, but I have some things coming up where my Oto nin who uses this bloodline will need to be functional, so if someone could please take a look at it again, that'd be wonderful. 

As I said above, pretty confident I addressed Lan's requests, but open to discussion. I got this approved once, we can do so again. I believe in NA. If you're reading this, I believe in you.

You would be mistaken about that.

Soul Sight: Don't care if it was approved before, that's not a reason for me to approve it now. You are incorrect about Mizaru, which forced you to have an accuracy of 0. It did no such thing with stacking stats. This is, straight up, a rip of the old Mizaru ability (which, I should add, was denied for being too powerful to be allowed). I'm still holding fast on saying no to this.

Ethereal Perception: Good to go now, I think.

Upkeep: I thoroughly disagree. This would be equivalent to a bloodline with a chakra upkeep that passively let you steal/regenerate chakra every time you hit someone with something, and that would probably never be approved. The purpose of an upkeep is to prevent the ability from being able to be maintained indefinitely, and if you can steal ghost health this directly defies that. Given that you can probably keep this up for an entire battle (because, by design, it's built to be sustained by normal battle), a possible drawback when you end it is effectively irrelevant.

Soul Sight is changed, now its a pop to throw disadvantage on your opponent's attempts to stop up to two of your techniques. Being concentration oriented, and given most people's lack of concentration, probably not going to come up super often, but it will make RPJs slightly more likely to fail, and will also help trigger that one skill that goes off your opponent's dodge roll for genjutsu. Also you can see ghostly shadows of stuff as an RP effect. Wooooo.

Upkeep has chakra cost now, and stops advanced regen. I still don't fully think it's a fair analogy you made there, your analogy neglected to mention that you also take all incoming damage as chakra damage, which again pretty heavily swings the regen away from infinite sustainability and just increased duration. Draining in excess of what you're spending and taking from your opponent, especially at high ranks when damage gets pretty damn high and you only ever get healing on hit, I feel means the counterplay to it is a lot more significant than you are giving it credit for.

But I also see that this argument could go on forever, so I'll fold.

Remember how I was all like, 'Some things are coming up for my Oto nin and having this approved would be great for that'.

Yeah, shockingly, that time has come and this has gone nowhere. I know we frown on bumping, but a subtle reminder of the implied urgency of this might help inspire someone to give me a hand here.

Yes, it's complex, yes it's wildly unnecessary in certain areas, but we got this done once and damn do I have faith in my fellow staff to do so again. 

Ok, here's my crack at it: 

Soul Sight: 'Concentration-based' is an unclear term; what is a 'concentration based' attack? Obviously genjutsu, but what about hybrids? What does it need to be  'Concentration-based'? It might be easier to use nonphyiscal here. Also, you might want to look into the latter part of the effect as most effects that affect incoming techniques don't require die rolls. Response jutsus (except for Negation-types and maybe Clash-types) don't fall under this criteria either, since they don't directly affect the incoming attack. 

Ethereal Perception: I'd like this to be once per ten levels instead of five, to bring it in line with the main-site block-range increase skill.

Spiritual Impermanence: No real changes here from the currently approved version, so this should be fine to go ahead.

Spectral Parasitism: The in-battle effect I don't have an issue with, but I do have an objection to introducing an entirely new ratio for custom techniques that do absorption on health and then stacks with its own absorption (I think this is diversifying the bloodline over a few too many bases since you've already got damage reduction, block increase and ghost healing. Three hats is enough hats in my opinion).

Ectoplasmic Mastery: Given that block range absolutely caps out at 40 for active effects (and I can't see this being active for the rest of the battle with no interaction) this feels wasted. At max rank this plus Ethereal Perception already puts you at 55 block range with no other effects, which means that the last rank is entirely wasted in 100% of cases. I think this needs a pretty severe tweak to bring the numbers into line.

I think upkeeps across the board are ok now. 

Soul Sight: Changed to tie it more closely to maintaining your health, as the more I test this the more I realise that's the hardest part of this bloodline. So it's up to twice per battle, when you use a technique that heals your ghost health and targets at least one enemy, you heal an additional 50%. Its limited uses, SP investment and given how even though I'm building for it ghost healing is usually small and underwhelming, I reckon it'll be fine.

Ethereal Perception: Yup, once every 10 ranks. That is always how it was intended I just forgot to update it when the changes to ranks went through.

Spectral Parasitism: I would, if possible, like to work out a way to keep the drain option. I have done tests with this and it is nigh impossible to maintain your ghost health for any sufficient length of time given you lose a flat pecentage and convert all incoming damage into ghost damage. The new ratio is based off chakra/stamina absorption since you're effectively using ghost health as a resource stat with this bloodline, but if it's power is a concern I can go up to pay 2x the cost for the drain in addition to the damage dealt. Either way you will still never drain anything near what you are losing, but it means that you don't activate it, get smashed in a turn, lose it, lose half your health then be one shot the following turn. The inbuilt heal on parasitism is nice, 1 health for every 5 damage means yeah, you're capping out at like 40 health on bigger ghost swings, but that really doesn't cut it when you take 500 damage. You need a liiiiiitle more. 

Ectoplasmic Mastery: Perhaps I misread the rules? I thought the maximum addition to block range was +40 on an activated effect, as opposed to a cumulative total of additional and standard block. The amount added is exactly 40, which is what was agreed as following the rules and meeting the requirements in the initial bloodline? Has it changed or has someone got it wrong?

Block Range:

The blocking part of the rules states that "Maximum Block Range with Passive and Activated Effects: 40". So I'd say that it's 40, inclusive of the passive 5 that everyone gets.

Ghost Health:

Can you show your working when you say that your Ghost Health will go down fast? Because as far as I can see, with Spiritual Impermanence Rank 2, Iron Skin/Chakra Barrier and Cliff Climbing Training combined you will take 65% of all damage from physical attacks. If you have Earth Specialty (which you can control with Selective Elements) then this goes down further to 50%. Blocking, which you probably will do to most attacks, reduces this further to 25%. With equipment and defense, you should be reducing everything to the 10% minimum (which is going to be more like 2.5% of the original attack damage since Total Damage is set after a block, not before). All of this happens before the conversion to Ghost Health because it's done in the 'use modifiers' step. To take 500 damage you'd need to screw up pretty badly. I just can't see you dying quickly even with the Ghost Health upkeep.

The main issue with using Ghost Health as a resource is that it is separate from health. That sounds super basic and I'm not trying to be condescending, only comprehensive, but when it comes down to it you can turn on your bloodline and just not take damage. Burning alive, hit with a Rasengan, step in front of an Edo freaking Tensei. You just don't lose Health. I know that you do eventually, nominally take the hit (or 50% of it) when you come out of it, but that only matters if the fight is still going. For example, you could play a fight like a ninja with no bloodline, trigger Second Wind, get to death's doorstep, then just pop into ghost mode and be effectively at full health because your Ghost Health is full. You get another shot at the battle, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. It effectively doubles your health pool and if you still wind up on the losing end you just abandon the fight by going intangible underground/flying into the clouds and running away before you have to pay the Health cost. Having to pay Chakra as an upkeep doesn't necessarily mean gimp your playstyle either since your AS doesn't cost stamina, so you can build a Rock Lee type character and fight using taijutsu with no penalty whatsoever.

Yes, I'm mostly ignoring the downside of making yourself weaker against genjutsu nukes. Mostly that's a product of site character builds/archetypes but in the end, I don't think that balancing your bloodline by making it only vulnerable to genjutsu is relevant when in all the time I've been on NA (with all of my characters combined) I've suffered ghost health damage only two or three times.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I don't see how prolonging the time you can spend in ghost mode is balanced. Also, I just noticed there's no activation cost lul.

I -COULD- show my maths, or I could realise that all these things you mentioned I had no idea of are better and just go with that. Damn. 

Activation is now folded into upkeep, you pay upkeep on first turn so you pay for it before it does anything therefore activation, just saves me words to do it this way.

Also changed the block range, so it adds +10x and has two ranks, if you use it while the bloodline is active it grants an additional 5. That way, it hits the cap of 40 exactly as originally intended, but does so within the rules with no wasted SP or health.

We're past the one year anniversary of this, yay. So I added a Hindering skill which means if your Health gets to 15% or lower, your Ghost Health is set to an equal amount. That means if you drop to 0 and Second Wind, your Ghost Health drops to whatever Second Wind gives you, ostensibly shutting down the double dipping on health to its fullest extent. Made it a requirement for all stage 1 skills and it cannot be overcome, so there's no way around it, it is mandatory. Hopefully that and the changes I made before are enough to get this over the line before it has sat in approval requests for a year. Because ugh, I know I'm a pain but come on. Gimme some love please.

Also changed soul sight so it doesn't give access to extra health, but it lets at max rank up to two genjutsu techs per battle crit. It is declared before the technique hits, so there's a statistically significant chance it'll whiff even when you do use it and declaring it depletes its uses, not hitting with it. It also pumps your ghost damage for those hits IF they crit, which means more ghost health healed, but in a way that's got heaps of counter play (You declare it's your crit technique when using it so obvious RPJ target, that kind of thing). Also it's a ghost damage and ghost health oriented bloodline, so I feel having this shot at a spike in ghost damage isn't an entirely terrible thing? 

Edited by Princess

Rei o Mite Ritual: At any time once the character reaches level 15, they must have their eyes re-implanted surgically. IC, one year must have passed since their eyes were removed for this ritual to be completed

One year IC is kinda odd. Since NA has quite the fluid time, this can be a long time IRL or literally the same day. Honestly, I'd go with a hospital recovery word count if you want to do this route. 

Reiniku Ritual: At any time once the character reaches level 30, they must reduce themselves to 0 ghost health (either in battle or an RP thread). Once they do so, they must perform a 2,500 word post in which they navigate the spirit world to locate their body and reunite them, which will activate this stage

This is fine. This gave me a laugh as you have to knock yourself out to 0 ghost health.

Reijitsugen Ritual: At any time once the character reaches level 70, they must knock another character unconscious by reducing them to 0 Ghost Health. Once they do so, they may ritually consume the spirit of the defeated character, killing them permanently and activating this stage. Doing so is considered the same as performing a jutsu with the tags [Forbidden;Unacceptable].

So this is fine, however we should quantify  what it means to consume a spirit, similar to how the jiongu does harvesting hearts, add in a clause to where the user has to spend a set-up and main phase turn to consume the spirit after they are knocked unconcious. This kills the character, obviously. As well as add in that if you get hit with a technique while doing so, the process must be repeated.

Now onto the main portion of this bloodline:

Soul Sight
Description: As the user grows more used to viewing souls in combat, they learn to focus as much on their foes’ movements as their own. By matching their intent with their foes, the Rei o Mite bearer can accurately predict weak points in their opponent's spiritual defences, exploiting them to drastically enhance their restorative abilities.
Effect: The character can see the ‘spirits’ of all living things. Non-living objects such as stone, metals and the like, are not affected by this skill.
This character may, once per battle per rank in this skill, add the following text to one of their non-physical techniques which targets one or more opponents.
"This technique may critically hit". 
Requirements: Rei o Mite Ritual Complete, Bonded Ectoplasm

While ghost damage can't critically hit, this tied to a bloodline based on genjutsu is okay.

Ethereal Perception
Description: The body takes a short period of time to react to the messages sent from the brain, and while most people are conditioned not to notice the delay in through to action, the wielders of the Reikai no Hansha are uniquely adept at exploiting this fact. To them, the mind acts on a similar delay to messages from the spirit, which form an individual’s ‘intent’. By reacting to the intent as the spirit acts it out a split second before the body follows through, they are more able to respond to threats than one who relies only on reacting to what the body does.
Effect: Increase the user's block range by 2x, where x is equal to their rank in this skill. In addition, whenever the user successfully blocks a physical attack, increase the chance to hit of their next attack by y%, where y is the difference between the chance to hit and what the user rolled. This value may not exceed 10 times the user's rank in this skill.
Requirements: Rei o Mite Ritual Complete, Bonded Ectoplasm. Ranks may only be purchased every 10 levels.
Ranks: 5
Cost: -2 for the first rank, subsequent ranks cost -1

So I'm a bit iffy on the second ability of this. It does only trigger on a block, which is increased by +10, but that's not counting any other skills that give you block increase. This and path of the defender can make your block range +25. That's a small part of why I'm iffy, it's also the fact that increasing the chance to hit can be quite drastic. At it's core it's a "hey you rolled poorly, here's a neat buff" which isn't bad, but at the most you're getting +50 accuracy, which is about +500 for a passive skill. I'm not against it, but I think the bonus gained should be less and put as a static number. 

Reiniku

The activation/upkeep cost should increase. I'd raise it to 10% ghost health/10% chakra. 

Spiritual Impermanence
Description: The result of merging the spirit and body into a single form is that is takes on aspects of both. These changes are fluid and difficult to control, but the end result is a body that is capable of ignoring physical matter in select circumstances. A powerful ability, though not one without downsides as they become more attuned to metaphysical matter, and with it attacks of the same nature.
Effect: For the sake of this skill, x is equal to the user's rank in this skill. While Rekai no Hansha is active, the character takes 15x% less total damage from attacks that deal Physical Damage. The character takes 10x% more total damage from any attack which deals Ghost Damage. All damage dealt to the user is converted to Ghost Damage after modifiers have been applied. When this Advanced System is deactivated, (100/x)% of all Ghost Damage dealt to this user while the Advanced System was activated is immediately dealt to them as Unmodified Physical Damage.
Roleplay Effect: The character may roleplay limited flight and levitation, and may pass through solid matter that is not chakra-enhanced. (The walls of a building are no barrier, but a earthen shield generated by a jutsu cannot be ignored.)
Restriction: Rank 1 can only be taken after the Reniku Ritual is Completed. Rank 2 can only be taken after the Rejitsugen Ritual is Completed
Cost: -3

So this is quite strong, but not unbeatable. As it stands now, you're receiving 30% damage reduction. Taking this to the max: Using Path of the Defender branch, we're looking at an almost constant blocking w/ ectoplasmic mastery, max of +30 to block range. It goes to +50 w/ the first activation of a skill. So it's about 80% damage reduction, without counting any skills that reduce damage. You can pretty much reduce this to minimum damage. * 

Even not taking this to the max, the 30% reduction + defense equipment + a high block range means you're not going to be taking too much damage. With this + 800 defense, a 800 damage attack becomes 360. This excludes the block range, with block range it becomes 5 damage.  So you've become almost a defensive build, without really too much investment. Which I think is the issue here a bit. * 

Drop it down to 10x% per rank against physical damage, keep genjutsu at 10x%, 2 ranks, -2sp and I'm cool with this. 

Spectral Parasitism
Description: The nature of the spirit world prevents objects belonging to it from dwelling in the real world for too long, a fate the wielders of the Reikai no Hansha know all too well. Their ectoplasm bleeds out as it is forced to materialise, and if they are not careful these warriors can accidentally weaken their spirits to the point of total spiritual exhaustion. To circumvent this, their spirits adapt to the real world, siphoning off what little essence they can to sustain themselves.
Effect: For every 10/x Ghost Damage this character deals they will heal 1 Ghost Health, where x is equal to their rank in this skill. 
Restriction: Rank 1 can only be taken after the Reniku Ritual is Completed. Rank 2 can only be taken after the Rejitsugen Ritual is Complete
Cost: -1 per rank

This should be lowered. I'd say 10:1 damage: ghost health ratio at max ranks and -2sp per rank. Healing on it's own is already powerful and yes, while it is ghost health, it's still healing.* This gives quite a big advantage if you're facing another genjutsu user and now it's a ghost health damage race. 

So the new effect would be something similar to: For every 20/x ghost damage this character deals they will heal 1 Ghost health, where x is equal to their rank in this skill. 

Reijitsugen|Spirit Realisation|霊実現

The upkeep/activation for this should be 5% minimum. Lowering it to 2.5 is a bit too low, mainly because of the points with (*). next  to them.  

Ectoplasmic Mastery:
Description: As an individual experiments with the potential mutability of ectoplasm, they find their mind needs to rapidly adapt to comprehend the boundless potential their bodies now possess. Some spend hours or even days just reshaping their body, and while the changes are momentary at best, in combat there is no doubt that the unpredictable nature of ectoplasm is one of the greatest assets the Reikai o Hansha grants.
Effect: Once per battle the user may choose to deal 100x Unmodified Ghost Damage to themselves. If they do, they will immediately increase the block range granted by Ethereal Perception by 10x, where x is equal to the user's rank in this skill. If used while Reiniku or Reijitsugen are active, this skill remains active for the duration of the Advanced System and increases the bonus block range by an additional 5. If not, the bonuses last until the start of your next turn. 
Restriction: Ranks in this skill may only be taken once per Ninja Rank. Rank 1 may only be taken after the Reniku Ritual is Complete, and Rank 2 may only be taken after the Rejitsugen Ritual is Complete.

This is fine.

Bonded Ectoplasm
Description: Ikiryo are unique creatures, their spirits and physical forms are more closely intertwined than any other clan in the known world, but this connection comes at a price. Since ectoplasm makes up a significant percentage of their physical bodies too, excessive physical damage can cause their spirit to suffer a critical loss of ectoplasm, drastically weakening them when they need that strength most.
Effect: The first time each battle this character's Health reaches 15% of its total or lower, their Ghost Health is set to an equal amount.
Restriction: Cannot be overcome
Cost: +1

This is fine

Edited by wolfnin
  • Thanks 1

Changes made and a few points I want to dispute you on, so let's go through them all!

Rei o Mite Ritual: Yeah made it a 15 post hospital thread. Mechanics top fluff for mechanical effects, this is fair.

Reiniku Ritual: I too laugh, I actually had to go and check if it was theoretically possible to target yourself with techniques and was told 'If you want that's fair'. So it's golden.

Reijitsugen Ritual: Clarified, but instead of a Setup and Main Phase, I made it two consecutive Main Phases. There's no opportunity to interact between a Setup and Main Phase, and it feeds into speed too. If you're fast you can eat them faster than their allies can intervene, if their allies are fast they have a chance to stop you, and since the Main Phases have to be consecutive, you can't throw up an RPJ which soaks your Main Phase up to stop you getting hit, you still lose the progress that way. I think this is the fairest and most interactive way to do this ability. Wording may need some polishing though classic Princess right?

Soul Sight: Yay! 

Ethereal Perception: Given that the bloodline hits capped block range of 40 defender really doesn't play a huge part in this unless you plan not to use the activated bloodline (the block range, as you can see above Peregine clarified. It's not +40 to the base range, it's straight up just you can have at most a block range of 40) which means the actual max bonus from this is +400 stats. Which is lower than the 500 you thought so I already tick that box? As for a static number, look I can say 'If you block your next attack gets +40% chance to hit' if you want, but I did the variability specifically because this bloodline will be blocking a lot, so it helps to balance out some of the interactions between this and the bloodline pumping you to capped block range. It means you won't be reliably sitting on +400 stats, so the effective value is lower, which helps balance out the effective value of additional block range. I think with a cap of 400 but variability within, it's not as powerful as it looks, and just provides a statistical bonus when things go south (or as intended?) Given you need to be pumping ghost damage to keep your health in check, the concern of this adding chance to hit on non-concentration sources is relatively lower, and vs other genjutsu characters well you can't block them anyway so you just lose. Anyone with enough concentration to make the +to hit super important will never trigger it. It's just insurance against things that dump your con vs physical characters really.

Reiniku: I wholeheartedly disagree on the activation/upkeep needing to be 10/10. 5 is the standard for pretty much every major bloodline AS I have seen, and several bloodlines at least as powerful if not more so than this have a flat 5% chakra cost/upkeep. Then we take into account that health is worth effectively double its equivalent value in other tank stats, and at a raw input this level eats 15% of effective tanks instead of literally all the major doujutsu which sit on a flat 5% chakra. I'm already paying what they are and then an additional 5% of my health on top of that, and while there's some weak ground to say ghost health is theoretically worth less than health because people target it less, that doesn't apply here because it forces people to target ghost health, invalidating that line of thought. So, we can go one of three ways.
-Leave it as is.

-Revert to how it was before Yurane's critiques and revert to 10% Ghost Health at Reiniku and 5% Ghost Health at Reijitsugen.
-Drop Ghost Health as a cost and sit on the same 5% Chakra cost major bloodlines sit on. 
I am okay having theme override flat value as in Ethereal Perception, I'm not okay paying through the teeth for less than an equivalent system. 

Spiritual Impermanence: Yup these changes are fine, done. Do remember that block range caps at 40 when reading over this stuff though, nothing lets me break that cap so I can't get a 50/50 chance to block.

Spectral Parasitism: I think you're vastly overestimating how well this bloodline will hold out vs a Ghost Damage dealer. So, vs someone that actually deals ghost damage, you take 10/20% more damage, lose access to your defensive abilities, but you get two shots at critiquing. Against an equivalent level genjutsu damage dealer and Ikiryo will lose every time. The healing, even at 5:1, will be, at best, mitigation of your 20% additional damage if you're throwing huge ghost damage bombs out. But, then there's another thing to recall, the health absorption only pings when you're in the advanced system, which you'd be an absolute mad lad to pull against a genjutsu user. In a real gen v gen match, you don't go ghost or you lose, which means you have no healing. What this is designed to do is help mitigate that you're constantly damaging yourself and forcing incoming damage to hit your resource for the bloodline. It slows the bleed, but really unless you're consistently using back to back thousand+damage attacks, you will not be exceeding your losses. I set it at -2 for both ranks, as I think that increase is fair, but left it at 10/5:1 for now. I am open to being convinced otherwise, but I haven't been yet.

Reijitsugen: Again, 2.5 is actually effectively 7.5, the combined total is 5% of actual resources burned a turn, which is equivalent to other bloodlines. Same points as I raised under Reiniku, I can shift this to be a full 5% of a resource or the same 5% everyone else pays but split between the two. I don't mind.

Ectoplasmic Mastery: Yay!

Bonded Ectoplasm: Yay!

So hopefully, I've swung you to my side on a few of these points, I've accepted a couple of yours, optimally we can reach a good balance between them and get this pumped out. Yay again!

Reijitsugen Ritual
Do you specificially have to be the one to knock them out? What if you are not a Genjutsu user?

Soul Sight
The first line in this effect is not really a part of this skill, its description. Aside that, this seems fine but also pretty bad for -2 SP. It just says "This technique may critically hit". I assume you would use this with some kind of Stratgist like effect? 

Ethereal Perception
The increased block range is fine, capping at 10 for -6 SP. The bonus to hit is a bit odd. You give it a cap of 10x, with x being the ranks, but that ends up being 50, which is above the maximum block range. This would only come up with abilities that block a jutsu without a roll, but you don't cover what happens when you block something without a roll. I would probably suggest just changing that cap and instead saying it can only come from blocks that happen from the result of a Dodge Roll or something, which would be a maximum of 40. Then maybe make it 8x cap, so that it goes up to 40 instead of 50? The capping at 50, as a user, makes me believe I am missing something because it doesn't make sense.

Reiniku
This upkeep seems fine. I like the ghost health upkeep, it keeps the defensive abilities from being too strong.

Spiritual Impermanence
This looks good. I think we went over this in the past. The taking the ghost damage as physical damage closes the loop on my concerns here.

Spectral Parasitism
This looks bad at first, but the fact that Ghost Damage does not do a lot of damage per hit compared to physical damage this is probably fine. If you are healing 1 health per 5 health dealt on top of taking 2.5% ghost health per turn it's not going to get you too far ahead. If you deal 1500 damage to someone you healed for only 300 health. That adds up but you're also taking damage from this ability at the same time so it seems fine.

Reijitsugen
So all this does is just half the upkeep costs? And allows you to take additional ranks right? If so seems good. It is a pretty big power jump though compared to the first version. In general, lowering cost while increasing power makes weird power spikes that end up making one end too bad or too good.

Ectoplasmic Mastery
You don't mention at all when you do this, and it really matters. What phase are you doing this? Also, with the Reijitsugen you take 200 Ghost Health to increase your block range by +25 until the advanced system ends? I think that's probably too good. Maybe instead have it last like 3 turns instead of 1 turn? If you lower the duration like that you can also probably change the amount of health you take to trigger this. Maybe just have it a flat cost and have it get better with the rank instead. There are instances where a player might not take rank 2 here because it's not strictly better.

Bonded Ectoplasm
This is a... weird hindering. Will this ever come up realistically? Can you describe a scenario where this is relevant?

Reijitsugen: If you're not using genjutsu, you're in for a world of hurt with this bloodline. I've tweaked the wording to allow you to target anyone with 0 ghost health, so you can theoretically build this without genjutsu if you have a genjutsu friend but....eh....you'd still be a fool for doing so.

Soul Sight: Moved the description like effect into the description. And yes, the plan would be to either take strategist or hybridise with taijutsu and take Serpent Style to mix with your ghost damage attacks, and work out a skill to make use of serpent outside of your crit turns. That said, it is only -2 because it was before and I didn't change it because I largely forgot to. I can drop it to -1, or we can make it slightly stronger if you feel that's appropriate?

Ethereal Perception: I had honestly always intended it to be only on a roll, if you block, your roll is a non-zero value, a non-zero value has no relation to the 'to hit' so it would provide no difference to make additional hit chance off. The cap of 50 was actually just a holdover of bad maths on my behalf. It is not 8x as you suggested. I think I did 10s coz it felt slightly more natural at first, and it had 5 ranks because I thought you capped out at a max block of 45, your base 5 +40 more, so the 50 was to cater to that extra 5.

Reiniku: Yes I too like it, yay.

Spiritual Impermanence: I believe the original ratio of 30% physical damage reduced 20% ghost increased was your idea, but wolf raises good points that it can combine with other things to be particularly oppressive. I would obviously love to revert to 30%, but the reduction makes sense so I adopted it and will retain it unless given leave to do otherwise.

Spectral Parasitism: Yeah that's a big part of my logic. You're waiting until forbidden level to have access to theoretically boundless healing, and it has the worst ratios for it. So if you're happy, I am too.

Reijitsugen: Yes, I believe at the time this was the trend with a lot of major bloodlines, where essentially as you gained mastery over it, the cost to sustain it dropped even though the power increased, especially in those with no hard statistical bonuses. I can probably just have this level not affect the upkeep/activation at all, and it just gives access to the top tiers of the abilities? Unless you were saying 'could cause bad spikes' as an embellishment and you're not entirely that worried about it. 

Ectoplasmic Mastery: My key concern with not having it last the duration of the AS is the once per battle I was made to attach to it when last it got approved. The block range is your key access to the statistical increases of the bloodline, if it's once per battle and for 3 turns, yeah that's hopefully enough, but ehhhhhhh. I've fiddled with it. It has a set cost, 150 health, the value is a flat 20/25 and it lasts for a number of turns equal to your ranks. So you go 6sp for 3 turns and lose 150 health, and then at the end of that you can burn another 150 health to keep it going. Also, clarified it's a setup phase action. Means you will always have to go at least one turn without the extra block range if you're activating the bloodline, since the extra 5 only comes if you activate the skill while the bloodline is already active.

Bonded Ectoplasm: It was literally only made because people were concerned you could take Second Wind, drop to 0 health, bounce back to 1 health, then immediately activate the bloodline to effectively double your health. This way, you can still activate it later to extend your health, but it prevents you second winding for truly insane value.

Reijitsugen
This looks good now. I think a non Genjutsu user would actually be fine with this. If you don't take Soul Sight and Spectral Parasitism it's just a pretty solid defensive bloodline, and I would consider those two the weakest abilities so you aren't losing much and you save SP. So I wouldn't discount someone doing a non-Genjutsu player with this.

Soul Sight
Cool, in that case this can be -1 SP per rank.

Ethereal Perception

Okay, well first off the cap of 40 includes the 5 you have naturally. It is not 45, its 40. It is not a cap of "bonuses" but a cap of the Block Range overall. Anyways, I would rework this to clean it up. I'll take a crack at it...

Increase the user's Block Range by 2x, where x is equal to their rank in this skill. In addition, whenever the user successfully Blocks a physical attack due to a Dodge Roll, the user increases their Chance to Hit on their next attack this turn by y%, where y is the difference between the Chance to Hit and the user's Dodge Roll. This bonus is halved for Concentration based attacks and the value may not exceed 8x.

You can remove the red part if you want. Ghost Damage can't be blocked anyways, and if you have an ability that allows you to block Ghost Damage I don't see why this shouldn't synergize with it. Also, the section in blue I think you will have words about, but if you are balancing this for Concentration is twice as good as it appears. A +40% Chance to Hit with Concentration based attacks would be +800 Concentration equivalent which is massive. Obviously you don't have control over the bonus or when it happens, but it would still be a rather massive boost even at +400 when it lives outside of advanced systems. You could play with the cap to address this as well, but this overall needs some nobs turned.

Spiritual Impermanence

Leave not given.

Reijitsugen

I think I would change this to not drop the cost and keep it at 5% and 5%. I would be open to maybe reviewing this after you get it approved and play with it for awhile, but I get the feeling that this will still be very good at 5% and 5%. So I would just change this to a gate skill.

Ectoplasmic Mastery

I don't see any edits here, but I am fine with removing the "once per battle" and instead making it "once per three turns" or something like "Cannot be used again for three turns". Specifically just trying to avoid the chance that you can activate this twice and get double the bonus (though this wouldn't help you at max rank since you're already pushing the cap, but it could be viable strategy at lower ranks). 

Bonded Ectoplasm
Oh, that's actually a good point, though it still is basically the same use case, just less likely to come up than the basically guaranteed Second Wind scenario. Okay, this is fine then.

Okay, all requested changes made AND I doubled checked to make sure they were saved this time.

Soul sight is -1.
Ethereal Perception is halved for concentration.
Reijitsugen has 5/5 upkeep/activation now.

Ectoplasmic Mastery I made as I described I would above, but with the turn limited you requested. So it's 150 Ghost Health for +20 Block Range, and that lasts X turns, where X is ranks (capping at 3). You then can only activate it once every X turns. So in theory a gennin could pump this every turn in their setup phase, but they're better off waiting to respond to scripted attacks and the like, whereas you hit that level 70 ritual and you can probably sustain this for most of the battle, though it's still at a cost to your health and secondary resource for the bloodline.

Nah it's the same it's just not permanent now.

Base 5 block + 10 from Etheral Perception + 20 from Ectoplasmic Mastery +5 during bloodline means you hit and block range cap of +40. I couldn't make it better if I tried :)

I just have one last thing:

Bonded Ectoplasm:

"The first time each battle this character's Health reaches 15% of its total or lower, their Ghost Health is set to an equal amount. This effect is not applied if this character's Ghost Health is lower than their Health with this skill triggers/This skill cannot set this character's ghost health above their current ghost health."

My wordage might be weird, but something close to the added green text. That way, the character below 15% ghost health can't regain up to 15% ghost health if they were below it in some weird situation when this skill triggers.