Toroi21

Giant Spider Skills

Excess Venom | Chōka doku

Must be used in the Setup Phase. All Small Weapon Attacks the user makes in the following main phase deal 10% of their base damage as Poison damage.

Cooldown: 7-10

Cost: -10 Training Points

Venomous Bite | Doku kōshō

The damage dealt by Basic Pet Attacks may be dealt as Poison Damage.

Cooldown: Passive

Cost: -10 Training Points

Notes: Basically, I wanted to make these very general, (at least in regards to spiders as pets) but also very beneficial for the Tsuchigumo clan as a tamer. The second however, will be a Tsuchigumo clan exclusive. ) Can't officially put these out however, until the bloodline and the bloodline skills from Princess are approved.

*exasperated sigh*

Everything is approved so this is ready guys!

Edited by Toroi21

Please disregard this post. While I was typing it, Princess helped Toroi make a lot of changes and so what I wrote is mostly out of date. I've shoved what I've written into the spoiler below, because I can't delete posts.

Spoiler

Hi! You asked me to take a look, so here I am. I’m going to remind you that I’m not an artificer or other staff member, so I can’t approve these and my advice won’t be as good as theirs. You asked me to review them though, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So the first thing here is that all three pet abilities involve the Golden Armory skill of the Imperial Spider bloodline. From what I understand, you need permission from a clan’s curator to create things for it. If Princess knows you were making these, then these are good to go. If he doesn’t, please hit him up and ask for permission. Also, the bloodline isn’t approved yet, so if major changes come to it these may no longer work the way you expected when you created them. Here is a link the current version of the bloodline, for everyone else who looks this over.

Right, so moving on to mechanical issues, all three pet abilities have a problem in their cooldown field.

Passive Instruction’s cooldown problem is really just an aesthetic one: every other Pet Ability with a cooldown has the Cooldown field end in 10 or Passive, where this one ends in 9. A cooldown of 8-9 means that when you have a twenty-percent chance of succeeding on a cooldown roll. Make it 9-10 instead, to fit with the others.

Black Widow-er Venom’s problem is that its cooldown doesn’t make sense, hahaha. When you roll a pet ability’s cooldown, you roll a ten-sided die. You will never roll above a ten on a ten-sided die, unless you have something that provides a bonus to it. I don’t know what the chance of success you wanted ability’s cooldown to have, so I’ll leave that with you, but the cooldown should be lowered. As it stands, it has a ten-percent chance of success unless you have an ability like the Inuzuka Beast Human Style skill, which makes the chance jump up to thirty-percent.

Reserve Armory’s cooldown issue is that it is a passive cooldown on a combat effect. While there is one instance of that on the main site (Mauler), Tony has expressed a dislike for them in Princess’ thread and wasn’t sure if he wanted to set a precedent for further ones to be created.

Here are the cooldown rules from the main site, so you can review them:

3ifpGQ4.png

Okay, so Passive Instruction and Black Widow-er Venom both say that they allow the user to perform one extra user action, limited to ‘Gatherer’ and ‘Golden Armory.’ There is a few issues with that. Firstly, you mean “Setup Phase action,” not “user action.” Secondly, I believe that as written it prevents people from taking free actions in their Setup Phases as well, which I don’t believe is your intention. The third issue is that... this isn’t how pet actions work >.>
When a pet ability is used, unless it explicitly says so, it does not use up the character’s Main Phase, Setup Phase, or Response Phase actions. It uses up their pet action. So they should just say “Must be used in the Setup Phase” instead like the main site abilities do, without referencing the user’s actions. Unless you wanted those Pet Abilities to only function when the user uses Gatherer or Golden Armory, in which case they should say, “This ability may only be activated in the same Setup Phase in which the owner used the skills ‘Gatherer’ or ‘Kogane Buki-Ko (Golden Armory),” or something to that effect.

Here are the pet ability rules from the main site:

pnpYWqP.png

So now for the meat of the effects.

Passive Instruction is just critical bite, but applied to every small weapon you throw this turn instead of one attack. I assume this is supposed to work with the Imperial Spider skill, which adds extra small weapon attacks to all of your other attacks. I think this might be okay. Just fix the cooldown

Black Widow-er Venom doesn’t mention whether it is based off of base or total damage. Regardless, this does the same thing as one of Imperial Spider’s bloodline skills (Arai Tsukideta - Coarse Jutting), which I think means it won’t fly. Skill points are worth more than training points and you’re attempting to replicate a bloodline skill with them.

Reserve Armory is very good, especially as a passive ability. It does two things: first, it lets you create an additional four small weapons with Golden Armory. That’s up to an additional 200 points of Chakra saved per turn, every turn, if you choose to poop out four extra Barbed Arrows. More likely you’ll be saving 150 with two Barbed Arrows and two normal Arrows per turn because you can only use two Barbed Arrows per main phase, but still, that’s a lot of free resources.

The second thing it does it that it allows you to throw an additional four small weapons per turn, if they already have the weapons. So at Sennin you get eight small weapon throws, your bloodline gives you two more, and this gives you four more on top of that for a total of fourteen. Aside from it being kind of weird that a pet ability has a stronger effect than a bloodline skill, I imagine that it allowing a Genin to throw as many weapons as a Sennin when paired with your bloodline- and this will always be paired with the bloodline, because it requires one of its skills to be used- might be too much.

I’d say that either of the abilities in their current incarnations are too strong for pet abilities, and need to be reworked.

All of that said, I’m not a staff member. Take all of this how you will, and be sure to do what the staff says if they contradict what I've said here. The idea of having a giant spider as a pet is a neat one, so I hope you have fun with it when all of your ducks get put in a row and everything is approved!

Edited by almondsAndRain
  • Thanks 1

Sooo, yes this kinda stuff is fine from Tsuchigumo point of view, thumbs up.

Black Widow-er Venom: So, this doesn't have 'Requirement: Spider', so why is the name pegged to a spider theme? What if someone has a snake and is interested in this ability? You've kinda thematically ruined their plans there and claimed design space too. So why don't we try a name like...

'Excess Venom Production': Theme there is pretty clear. The idea is that the pet is producing extra venom, which allows you to coat your weapons in it quickly in the heat of battle. Now, if someone's got a snake, or lizard, or scorpion, or hell a platypus pet, they have cause to take this. Also matches the mechanics of the ability better, black widow venom is no more applicable than really any other venom. Poisons are great for applying to weapons, venom require extraction and its hard work. 

Reserve Armory: Name is fine on this one, but this needs it a 'Requirements: Tamer with Teikoku Kumo'. Yeah mechanically it's kinda restricted, but make it super clear. Also you don't need to specify only one pet can have the ability. All pet abilities can only be taken once per Tamer, and then its up to you how you divvy them between your pets as you take them.

Venomous: Yeah this is a carbon copy of the Mauler ability on the mainsite. It's fine.

Given I had a hard hand in these, I cannot stamp them, but I think fix the name on the first one and the redundant wording on the second and we're working on good ground here.

• Thanks 1

Forgot about this. These are ready for critique, don't be shy guys!

*I also removed the second skill. all of these other skills should be fine.*

Edited by Toroi21

I think these are fine. Approved.
Disclaimer: I may have one of the only Tamers on the site, but I have no interest in taking these. My Inuzuka uses Genjutsu, has no Accuracy, and so can't reliably use Basic Pet Attacks or Small Weapon Attacks.

Edited by almondsAndRain