almondsAndRain

Malleable Material | Armor Attribute

Malleable Material

Effect: The character wearing this armor has their Block Range increased by 3. Characters may only benefit from up to five ranks of this attribute at one time.

Description: Too rigid, and armor shatters beneath even the lightest blows, unable to disperse the pressure; too flexible, and armor cannot recover from strikes, leaving itself damaged and its wearer vulnerable. This armor is just right - it properly distributes force throughout itself, leaving its form intact and wearer standing.

Cost: 両300 per rank.

Edited by almondsAndRain
  • Like 1

So… Block Range is pretty cheap. As per unwritten rules, +15 Block Range is 80 CP per turn. So at max ranks of this, that's what we're looking at here - a passive 80 CP effect. Clones can toss it on you fairly easily, 'cept it will be an active effect when they do so the cap will be higher.

This isn't quite as good as Ward and its buddies because they're guaranteed blocks. It does cover both Ninjutsu and Taijutsu, and you can benefit from it more than once per rank, so the price is a little higher. For the full price of this you could get just over 300 stats, and 300 more Evasion than your opponent's Accuracy pushes you two thirds of the way to your max dodge chance. Not getting hit is much better than getting hit for half damage and suffering status effects, so +300 Evasion is better, but obviously you can stack these together. 

That said, +3 per rank definitely feels too high to me, cheap or not. That's just the starting point, and I'm completely open to lowering it to what others deem reasonable.

... I dunno, I'm kinda surprised this hasn't been attempted already. Like, this definitely seems like something that would have been done in the past? It's very straightforward. Hell, maybe it has and I fucked up my search in approved and dead. If this doesn't get shot down, it'll be a general ability. Take it if you want it, just let me know so that I can tell you if it gets updated.

Edited by almondsAndRain

I think 3 is fine, cost it at 300. I think 100 for 1 block range is a pretty reasonable cost, because yes you are right, not getting hit is better than getting hit.

Unless you make skills and abilities that specifically affect blocks and trigger off successful blocks.

If all someone wants is to avoid damage, they'll buy the evasion. Block range is a very specific, intentional investment, and I think $100 per point is fair. That takes it to 1500 ryo to max it out, which I think is fair.