cntrstrk14

Hakkō Chakura Kai | White Chakra Release

H7MOYZd.gif

Hakkō Chakura Kai | White Chakra Release | 白光チャクラ解

"Inishie mo ima mo kawaranu yo no naka ni, kokoro no tane o nokosu koto no ha."
"The world now unchanged from ancient times, leaves that are words retain seeds in the heart."

The White Chakra Release is a secret technique of the clan that results in a white after image when using weapons imbued with their chakra. The truth of this ability is a very strict training from a young age at weapon combat which teaches the Hatake to squeeze every advantage they can out of a combat tool.

Effect: The user is able to purchase specific stats for a weapon with the tag [White Chakra Release] at normal cost for stat additions to weapons. Stats purchased this way are only granted while this skill is activated. As a free action in any phase the user may pay 1% of their total Chakra to activate this skill. In addition, an upkeep of 1% Chakra may be paid each turn at the end of the phase in which this was originally activated to continue the effects. Stats added through the [White Chakra Release] tag may never exceed 5% of the users total base statistics and are not counted within the normal stat limitation for equipment. This is not an advanced system. In addition, when purchasing this skill the user receives a level 10 weapon of either Medium or Large size with +20 [White Chakra Release] stats of their choosing and the attribute 'Unique' if they wish.

Restriction: Hatake Clan [Hereditary]

Cost: -1

Designer Notes: 

- I wanted to create a single skill for the Hatake clan that could unify them across many different combat specialties. The specialty of the clan is excellence in shinobi skill and not a single area. I didn't want to push members into a single style of combat. This allows the shinobi to take the role any way they wish while giving a bonus all builds can benefit from.

- I specifically wanted this bonus to be on a weapon as it gives a number of counter play additions. This encourages the player to gain one handed or sealless options in game or go towards a Taijutsu focus.

- The cost is very aggressive, however this will be the only skill that the Hatake get. 
- Example weapons for this may be found here.

So... they still have to pay for the stats they get? If that's the case, this doesn't seem... "good enough" to be the singular clan skill? It's a cool idea, but I think it's properly costed for what it does without considering that it's "the only clan skill". When I think of it as "the only clan skill", I'd price it at like -1? The current costing in my mind is -1 for the free weapon, -1 for the "Upkept Path Skill", since this is more or less just Path of the Engineer's passive bonus with an upkeep.

I'm having a tough time properly describing my feelings here, I think... But it ultimately comes down to essentially "This is a very small thing to be the singular centerpiece to the clan." 

They still do need to buy the stats, yes. I was considering giving a better starter weapon for it, maybe level 10. The bonus itself is pretty good. +625 stats that you can't get elsewhere. The upkeep is more for flavor, even at 2000 chakra its only 20 per turn. 

Went ahead and bumped the weapon level up.

I honestly feel given it's a clan skill, and thus precludes a person being able to get a bloodline else where, -1SP for this might be better, even if it gives you an 'upkept path skill' (which flavor only or not, none the less still has counter play added because of the upkeep), and which unlike the path skill's passive, requires you to put it -all- in one item, which adds even more counter play, given if it's destroyed you can't get those extra stats any time later in the battle.

Other than the chance to have an inferior version of the path of the engineer's skill (which could be combined with the path of the engineer, yes), you get 310$ to 350$ worth of equipment, which isn't a lot for 1SP.

If you don't want this to be teachable, I would recommend submitting it like the Uzumaki's "Bloodline" and allow it to be taken with other bloodlines. Otherwise, having it listed as just "Bloodline: Hatake" doesn't actually mean anything at worst, and at best looks like you just used a skill sheet from 2007.

I mean, I'm fine with it like that because that's always how I thought that clan skills worked, but... then what was the reason that the Uzumaki stuff couldn't do exactly that rather than being turned into a BL?

Creator preference, AFIAK.

This is still approved.

The largest confusion is that we have Restrictions and Source Restrictions for skills and they use the same line. The only way to tell them apart is if one is a character name of just clan name it is assumed it can be taught. It could probably use a lot more clarity there, especially since the difference between a bloodline and a skill that requires the clan is really just flavor 99% of the time. Though I guess this couldn't be 'stolen' through bloodline theft?

I've never heard of a difference between Restrictions and "Source Restrictions". As far as I was last aware, we were operating under the notion that if you wanted a clan skill to not be teachable, it had to be a bloodline. I don't think we need additional clarity so much as a consistent ruling. Are all skills teachable by default? Or can you specifically state that they are not? I support the current model in which all skills are teachable, with only other skill or jutsu requirements being their gating mechanics. Even by the description of this skill, it's an art that's taught to begin with, so... I don't think this should be any different than the Nara's Shadow stuff. I would suggest that we move forward with this as a "typical clan skill" in the meantime(so that Ichi can actually have a cool clan skill) and then revisit the classification and teach-ability of skills in admin.

http://ninja-academy-online.com/skills.php

Top of the page, quoted for ease of reading:

- Requirements: This is simply any additional qualification needed to learn a skill. This can include other skills, stat requirements, or anything else within reason.

- Source Requirement: This is a portion of the requirements of a skill that consists of a village name, item name, clan name or even character name. To learn a skill with a source you will either have to be from the village, a member of the clan, in possession of said item, or the named character. If you are not any of these you must spend a five (5) post training thread learning the skill from someone who already knows it. A key to remember, skills with requirements (especially clan skills) are closely guarded secrets and are often looked down upon if shared with outsiders. Share at your own risk.

As I understand these rules, if you simply put a village name, item name, clan name or character name with no other descriptor it is a Source Requirement. Otherwise it is a normal Requirement.

Making it not teachable is more about making this fair than a nuance with rules. It is on par with the core of a path skill, and because of that I am not comfortable making it teachable to anyone without restriction. If we were to approve it as such and not get around to rules updates for 3 months and someone learns this from Ichi or Miso then we would need to go and remove it from them, which would be awful. I would rather make our intentions clear here.

I do agree though that we should revisit and clarify skill classifications so that they are as clear as Jutsu Tags, because there is lack of clarity and I doubt everyone is on the same page about it.

The problem I have with making this un-teachable is that it's not necessarily better or worse than other skill/tech-based clans(Yamanaka, Sarutobi, Nara, Akimichi, etc) and they are all subject to their skills being teachable. Yet, if we made a quick change so that these clan skills weren't teachable at all... then choosing one of these clans and then seeking out a bloodline transfusion would be reinforced as simply being "better" than other things. As it stands right now, an optimal character setup is a character in a skill/tech based clan that gets exceptions based on their clan "only doing this one thing" who then gets a transfusion of a strong passive bloodline and then picks up a non-bloodline advanced system.

So while I see where you're coming from, I cannot help but to stand beside the standard rulings on this skill because I feel it would be unfair to other similar clans and potentially limiting to some exciting RP potential for breaking your clan's vow of secrecy with these certain "techniques". Since this bonus is compacted all in a single weapon and can be easily counter-played via destruction, I don't think that it's as potent as the path core that you're referencing, which allows for the bonus stats to be placed across several items without an upkeep. Ultimately, I feel like the in-character consequence for betraying your clan secrets without damn good reason would be enough of a deterrent to keep clan members from teaching this to anyone else. After all, the Nara have been around with their incredibly powerful jutsu kit for years, and I cannot think of a single instance where they taught their clan jutsu to someone outside of their clan.