Azure

The Sixth Sense

I'm preparing for a Paideia (Debate) Seminar in Psychology tomorrow about the possibility of a 'Sixth Sense' dealing with the brain's ability to react to a situation before it happens. If you've heard of the saying "If you sing to a plant, it will grow better." Or something along those lines, this ties in to it. I can't access the reading I was given from home, or I'd share it here.

Right, so what are your opinions, whether backed with reasoning or just a Y/N.

Well I did some research before about being able to see "Ghosts". I believe that as a 6th sense. I also believe that you can develop a 6th sense. I personally don't want the 6th sense that I have in my mind. It can drive people crazy and scare themselves to the point of suicide. These "Ghosts" as the appeared Gods of this world since they can do things we cannot.

The Sixth Sense Theory can have many different aspects and isn't limited to one.

• Telepathy (mind to mind communication)
  • Clairvoyance (information from a distant place)
  • Precognition (information from a distant time)
  • Premonitions about something "bad"
  • Affecting random number generators
  • Project images and words to another
  • Feelings of a "previous life"
  • The feeling "You're being stared at"
  • Etc.

Well I doubt I have a 6th sense but I always feel like I'm being stared at. Like 80% of the time. Mostly when I'm by myself or at night.

I also consider your dreams a part of a 6th sense. People most of the time don't know how to control their dreams though to actually get something out of it. Since I heard dreaming is at the brink of the '4th dimension', one of many dimensions I'm intersted in. The one I'm intersted in the most though, is the 12th dimension. Where the highest form of energy, power, and probably the creation and answers to all possible questions are.

If people are determined enough they can bring their spirit into the 4th dimension, if you do though, it can ruin your life. Static on the television will become 'White noise'.

You will being to see "Ghosts" your lucky if you see their true form, they can shape themselves into anything, that's how they fool you, when you see, 'Your dead family members.' They are disguised as them, I'm not a professional, I refuse to look further because then I will want to do it around many people, and I will just go plain crazy.

I agree with you though, they aren't limited to one.

Oh, I forgot. There was a book that was going to get published to the public about the 4th dimension and what it is, how to get there, etc.

Of course though, the government knew about all this already, they burned the book and stopped it's publication.

People say that's how Jesus learned how to walk on water, people say that's how 'super heroes' get their, 'super powers'. Many things are explained about the dimensions. Of course, some people refuse to believe it, I believe every word of it.

no, impossible (neural networks are not linked) # Telepathy (mind to mind communication)

no, highly unlikely (unless there is a sensory system we have yet to discover) # Clairvoyance (information from a distant place)

no, impossible (just no) # Precognition (information from a distant time)

perhaps (the brain may use some of the subconscious information we aren't aware of and piece together premonitions) # Premonitions about something "bad"

no (affecting a computer? what?) # Affecting random number generators

no (just like telepathy) # Project images and words to another

no (don't believe in reincarnation) # Feelings of a "previous life"

perhaps (similar to clairvoyance. There might be some undiscovered sensory system) # The feeling "You're being stared at"

Remember, you have more senses than just the five basic. Sight, smell, hearing, taste, touch, pain, kinesthetic, vestibular, etc.

Edited by Arachanox

The Sixth Sense Theory can have many different aspects and isn't limited to one.
  • Telepathy (mind to mind communication)
  • Clairvoyance (information from a distant place)
  • Precognition (information from a distant time)
  • Premonitions about something "bad"
  • Affecting random number generators
  • Project images and words to another
  • Feelings of a "previous life"
  • The feeling "You're being stared at"
  • Etc.

Indeed that A Sixth Sense can be more than one thing. And I also agree about the feeling your being stared at part...I get that a lot. I believe that a sixth sense can be many things. Like when my left eye jumps a little. It means something bad is going to happen. And for the right, It means i'm going to meet someone who is important for awhile or etc. And sometimes when I look directly into someone's face I can feel when they are depressed or some kind of feeling.

But, the feelings of a previous life i try not to think about or get deep into. There are things in life that are more than what it seems and I would not want to freak myself out just thinking to hard about scary things like that.

(edit: I know the definition of precognition is for past events, and there is another word for seeing the future, but bear with my vocabulary.)

'Precognition' is real from what I know, though these senses develop in ways that can't really be defined in my opinion. I know this because I have personally developed some of these abilities that still surprise me when I need them enough. The real debate is do we notice these abilities because we look for them, or do all humans have some sort of 'ability', but it matures it others greater then it ever will it other individuals.

In my own life, I can use a sort of future sensing ussually within a few hours of the event. I can predict a critical move in chess approximately an hour before a game has even started, and knowing who I will play before chess is mentioned in conversation. Another thing I have experienced is predicting a particular play in Tennis during a match, and able to use it to my advantage if I am lucky to pick up one of these senses.

Me and a girl used to joke about this little ability when something bad would happen to her. Sometimes I would instant message her, wondering why she was crying before she signed on and then she would sign on to tell me about it. Small examples like this are the practical uses of this sense.

What do I see when I get this sense? For me I can get a sort of mental flash of an image, and the rest of it seems to be a feeling of knowing what will happen. I might see a few seconds of what I think will happen, and the rest of it just comes natural. These flashes are always from a third person perspective, except in my dreams where it is more of a 'deja vu' feeling when the event passes in my own perspective. I'll feel really odd when I notice something that's already happen to me in a dream, ussually the night before.

Anyway, those are just some observations I have made in my own life. They could all be just my imagination, but they come time and time again to make me believe strongly into it. And even if it is just coincidence, having the ability to know what is happening to me in advance has come in handy in the past. Another observation that appears to be coincidence or fate is that many people with these 'abilities' come in close contact with each other and develop friendships. Maybe there is a sociological reason for this, but I formed a few friendships with other people who believe they see 'precognitions.'

That's one argument a person may take, that these are all simply beliefs, and it makes sense that people who share these beliefs would band together or live in communities together. But the scarier question is what if these abilities exist?

Edited by Baromosa

I believe in precognition as well, due to the fact that I also have had impulses and dreams that lead me to a 'deja vu' instance, or otherwise, being completely right.

A majority of my nightmares seem to manifest into this, showing various, critical moments of my future, which have shaped what I will become when I'm older.

To put it bluntly, I've decided to pursue said path in order to attempt to change the outcome, as futile as it may be, and as painful as it will be to live it twice.

Many times after i dream at night, the people that show up in the dream have some sort of impact on that day, regardless of what the dream was about. It's very interesting.

However, one theory I've thought up (not that I believe this entirely, just something to consider) is that when you do something, your brain instantly thinks of outcomes for said event that can be positive or negative. When a gun is looked at and 'fear' is a result of it, could possibly be because the brain is associating the gun with death as the gun is being loaded and only when a similar instance to one of the outcomes the brain devised do we experience 'deja vu'. Not that it works in every situation, of course not, but perhaps some instances.

Hate to burst all your bubbles, but logically examining the possibility of a sixth sense is impossible. There's no foundation for recurring 'abilities' and everyone describes them differently. While this doesn't suggest fictitious declarations or psychosis, it does lack a pattern, which is what we base all psychology on.

Consider the five senses. They all have purposes. Distinct, common, purposes. Therefore, to call it a 'sense' it would likewise have to follow this format. Otherwise, we're speaking of something outside the realm of sensing, and instead delving directly into neuropsychology.

Short version: None of those count as a 'sense' since no one describes any of those bulleted 'symptoms' the same way. Lacks a pattern, so can't be officially declared 'real'.

Sorry.