Warr

The Laughing Typhoon

received_2455012558096306.jpeg

The Laughing Typhoon | ワロスの台風 |  Taifū no Warosu

Item Type: Vehicle

Effects: 

Travel Speed Rank 4 (両800)

This attribute reduces travel post requirements by 5x%, where x is the rank in this attribute. This effect does not stack with other Travel Speeds or similar effects from items. May be purchased four (4) times. The price increases with each rank. 

Excellent Sailing Ship- As a vehicle, the Azure Typhoon allows a group of up to four player characters to benefit from its word count reduction.

Cost: 両800

Description: The Laughing Typhoon is a ship which has a long and storied history. At least as old as the major hidden villages of the world, it was once considered the greatest pirate ship in the world, and despite its name brought terror to many who saw it, with the monstrous grimace upon its figurehead. At some point after the founding of Kirigakure, a failed ninja candidate from that village, Namiko Taka, and his compatriots captured the ship from its pirate owners and used it as a merchant vessel, fishing ship, and privateer in service of the Water Country, and most importantly for the future of the vessel, a secret scout and transport for the village of Kirigakure.

It was on this ship that the foundations of the Umikoi clan came to be from the last survivors of the Umikaze, and so the ship and its crew passed into the legends of that Clan as it grew and became a clan proper. The ship itself was last held in the possession of Namiko Taka’s youngest grandson, Umikoi Misago, and last recorded in his logs which made it back to the Clan after nearly twenty years of being undelivered.

Try as they might to recover their heirloom, time continued to pass and the Umikoi Clan never recovered it.     

Cost: See below. (両1600)

Restrictions: Would-be possessors of the Laughing Typhoon must go on pay a 両1600 fee for clues to its location as well as supplies and food for an expedition to find the ship. They must then write at least a 20,000 word quest to obtain the ship. This quest is eligible for all rewards it would normally allow if it was a training arc and the fee paid is the ‘cost’ of the ship, there is no cost reduction from the quest restriction to obtain the ship.

Edited by Warr

Designer’s Notes: I utilized a bit of precedence in trying to figure out the price for one part of this and figured that paying the cost of 両600/600$ would be one that works if there’s an item that drops the same amount of words to/from water country for one person.  The previously approved item that does the same thing is here for the cost of 両200/200$.

I figured that an item which allows you to have an ability similar to and based on, but different (in that it requires more IRL time between missions but other PCs can join you) was a pretty powerful effect for an item, and thus should cost something like 両1000. If I’m high balling the cost please tell me.

I can't approve something that lets you take gennin on S rank equivalent missions. It breaks their levelling, screws the curve, and honestly the cannon of the game puts S rank stuff gated because of how deadly it is to lower level ninja, there's no way any amount of money is paying for you to power level your mates, sorry. Moreover, whenever asked how much ryo SP is worth, Tony generally replies with 'Infinite', getting private contractor in any capacity with Ryo is probably gonna be a rough one to pass mate.

What might actually work though is if you put in something that allows you to earn money while doing travel threads, to represent ferrying cargo and such, and then have it alter your existing private contractor skill to allow other PCs of an appropriate rank to the contract taken to participate to represent piracy. I can get behind modifying or approving a skill, I am not okay with granting a skill. That said, private contractor is now under Tony's curation, so anything that utilises or modifies it should probably have his say.

Also, it's a boat. If it's a flat reduction to all travel threads, tell me how this gets you from inland Oto to anywhere else faster? I'm not saying it can't be a flat reduction just...mate it's a boat. Reality can only be stretched so far. 

So I will simply change it to work off the lowest leveled ninja participating, as I was iffy on that as it stood.

I will say now that the point was not to 'power level'. It was to be able to do something that would not fit under the 'training' definition of leveling which did not require a GM.

If I was trying to power level anyone, Warrusu can already provide anyone by themselves +2 EXP per line, so nearly anyone that he might go on an adventure with could already be benefiting from higher than mission EXP if they write an equal amount of words if it was considered training, even if you compare the same amount of words as writing a 'S-rank' to that amount of words divided by the participant persons. At least up until 2 people. 2625 EXP from Warrusu's bonus to their EXP gain from being higher rank and the amount of exp per line per line for the lowest level. Given yes you get money for that too, but that's a separate matter.

That said, with Tony's permission to play around in the space of Private Contractor, and given I was the original creator of it so I know it is meant to work (Though I'm aware some people broke it when I was gone via over use), I'm going to edit this effect to be the following: 

"This ship is one which has historically been a true epicenter of adventure. The user of this item may take the skill 'Private Contractor'. Following taking the Private Contractor, once every six real life days the owner of this ship and any accompanying player characters may assign themselves a shared mission as all of the user’s possessed the skill ‘Private Contractor.' . The maximum mission ranking goes off of that of the lowest rank ninja in possession of the ship's rank and level for all participants. Only up to 4 PCs at a time may participate in the missions assigned through this method."

Is that better? And if so, what is the cost of an item effect that expands a skill and allows you to take it? 

@cntrstrk14 @Princess

Okay, so first time fully reviewing this —

• Non-weapon items can only have one Special Ability.

• The first ability should be a modification of the new attribute Travel Speed rather than its own thing. So in this case, it should allow the reduction of Travel Speed to be applied to up to four players, and then Travel Speed should be purchased as normal. I would price this at ‭両800‬, though it is a bit silly. If you do the full 4 people you're basically getting a 50% discount on Travel Speed, but overpaying if its just one person so 両800 for the special ability is probably good.

• The last ability, if you change the wording, doesn't do anything. Private Contractor has no limitation that prevent characters from joining the character with Private Contractor in their mission. The player that has the skill just needs to be a part of the mission.

• Thanks 1

If that is the case, I will remove the private contractor modifying effect, and just add the rank 4 (20% word count reduction) effect to the ship as well as make the custom effect that it can apply to up to 4 users at once.