Tw33dle

Rinkaichu l Phosphorus Destruction Insect - Rinkaichu Pt. 3

Rinkaichu l Phosphorus Destruction Insect

tumblr_mocbx9qWgr1rt4r1lo1_400.gif

Once or twice in every generation, there is a member of the Aburame clan born with the antibodies allowing them to be capable of hosting Rinkaichu beetles. The Rinkaichu beetles are nano sized poisonous beetles that tend to destroy their enemies' cells upon contact. They have often been referred to as viruses that spread and multiply almost instantaneously as they feed and thrive off the living cells of their targets. Fortunately for their foes, the Rinkaichu die shortly after they leave a body for a brief period of time, or if their host dies. 

~~~

Activation Cost: 5% health/turn

This is an Advanced System

All advanced Chakra & Stamina regeneration abilities are suspended.

All Health regeneration abilities are suspended. 

Skills must be purchased in order.

~~~

Venomous Nano Beetles

Effect: For each rank in this skill, the user’s Taijutsu, Accuracy, and Speed are increased by 'x' while Rinkaichu l Phosphorus Destruction Insects is active, where 'x' is equal to the user’s level. This ability may never increase a stat beyond 1.5x its base value.” Ranks in this skill may be purchased every 20 levels. 

Ranks: 4

Requirement: Internal Rinkaichu Contract. Level 30. 

Cost: -1

Venomous Injection

Effect: When performing a Taijutsu technique utilizing one (1) or more ‘Rinkaichu Hives,’ the user may spend up to eight (8) additional ‘Rinkaichu Hive’ to add Poison; 25x for one (1) turn to the first strike of that technique, where x is the number of additional ‘Rinkaichu Hives’ spent. Damage done through Venomous Injection is considered part of damage modifiers and is not impacted by damage caps.

Requirement: Level 50, Venomous Nano Beetles

Cost: -2

Merciless Venom

Effect: When a character begins their turn 'Poisoned' by the user from a technique used while this Advanced System is active, reduce their defense by 20%. This skill may never reduce defense below 0%.

Requirement: Level 50, Venomous Injection

Venom of the Infinite 

Effect: Once per turn when the user spends one (1) or more ‘Rinkaichu Hives’, they may treat one of those ‘Rinkaichu Hives’ as if it were not spent. 

Restriction: Level 70, Jounin+, Merciless Venom 

Relavent skills: Venomous Rinkaichu Contract and Rinkaichu Style

Edited by Tw33dle
  • Like 1

Looking over this and the tai style, I think I am okay with this on the condition that you never generate more than 12 hives. I don't mind if you have techniques that can bring them back, but I think 200 damage unmodified per attack is enough. If you plan to add more, it will be very VERY closely considered and I am warning you now I will likely push against it hard. 

You're essentially, at level 120, paying 1 SP for 100 unmodified damage with no meaningful cost on your end after that investment. This is why I don't want you ever getting more than 12 hives. 1-100 I am just willing to accept. But beyond that I feel you're agonisingly underpaying for the damage you can generate.

The other two I have no problem with.

So this is approved, but let me know if the plan is to increase hives past 12, and if so what the upper cap is, as that will determine how much that first skill must cost.

Princess, I appreciate the approval! 

I wanted to clarify something though. When Pere and I were designing this skill, we counted a total of 10 Hives at Level 120, not 12. You'd gain the first hive at 12, the next at 24, and so forth until you max out at 10 at level 120. We believed that 12 hives total would have been asking too much. If you're okay with a total of 12, I can change the wording :tongue:. As for gaining additional hives, I do not have plan of gain additional hives. I did have an idea or two for regenerating them though.

Nano Beetles: Approved

Venomous Injection: This should be upped to -3sp. At max rank you're getting the same damage for general taijutsu that somebody gets with a specific path at -5 for a specific taijutsu style.

Merciless Venom: I'm cool with this, but this should have a max amount of turns for it. I'd say 3 per attack. This skill already allows you to exceed the max duration of Rejective and it can shut down a medic build with a strike, if you decided to put all your eggs in a basket and just do everything at once.

Venom of the Infinite: Approved

Upon another review:

Nano Beetles: Let's update this to -2sp to keep it at the same line with other resource skills.

Venomous Injection: This is fine. At -3sp combined with the upgraded nano beetles, you're now at -5 sp which is similar to a path. Approved

Merciless Venom: So the more I look at this, the more that "If an opponent is inflicted with ‘Rejective’ this way, the duration may not be reduced" does not make for a fun and balanced mechanical effect. While mostly medics are the one that deal with removing status effects (and this whole ability feels just like a specific "shut down medics"), having any status effect that is unable to be removed or reduced goes down a very strange, unbalanced, and unpleasant path. My suggestion would be to replace it with: "If an opponent is inflicted with 'Rejective' this way, they must pay an additional 60 chakra or stamina when attempting to remove 1 turn of 'Rejective'." 

Venom of the Infinite: Approved

Edited by wolfnin

Maybe it’s just me, but I think this is way too strong on the high end, especially when combined with its Style

At max level, this lets you deal 200 unmodified damage per turn on its own if you never spend any hives. And… if you aren’t fighting a Kaguya or a medic, then the reasons to spend a hive through this AS alone are few and far between, so that’s practically a non-issue.

Now combine it with the passive 20 poison from the Style and you get 220. Now, let’s combine the Style’s activated effect with this ASes fourth skill: 

Rinkaichu Style

Effects: Allows the user to gain Rinkaichu Charges. Rinkaichu Charges are gained whenever the user lands a Rinkaichu Style Taijutsu technique.

• While the user has at least one Rinkaichu Charge, the first strike of Rinkaichu taijutsu techniques inflict one (1) turn of ‘Poisoned; 2x’ where x is equal to the user’s current Rinkaichu Hives. This damage may not allow a technique to break damage caps.
  • When the user spends a Rinkiahcu Charge, they may spend up to x Rinkaichu Hives, where x is their ninja rank. If they do, the technique also deals 20xy unmodified damage, where y is equal to the user’s ninja rank.

Venom of the Infinite 

Once per turn when the user spends 1 ‘Rinkaichu Hive’, they may treat that ‘Rinkaichu Hive’ as if it were not spent.

So you spend 1 hive to add 80 unmodified damage, but get refunded the 1 by the fourth skill, which raises the passive effect of this to 300 (200 base + 20 Poison + 80 from the activated effect) unmodified damage per turn and all you’re risking is one Charge. Or, if you want to take a big gamble, you can risk this passive effect to add 540 (200 base + 20 Poison + 320 from the activated effect) unmodified damage to one attack, at the cost of 1 Charge and 3 Hives (because of Venom of the Infinite), which is a ton.

Also, as written, you can spend a Rinkaichi hive whenever you spend a Charge to add the damaging effect. So you can add this damage for free if you spend a Charge as part of a technique’s cost, ensuring you still get at least some benefit from spending a Charge even if the attack misses. Not sure if that is an intended effect or not. 

Edited by almondsAndRain

So, edits...

• Increased the activation/upkeep cost to 5% health per turn. This is based on a conversation with Almonds. 
  • Changed Venomous Injection. Now it requires spending two (2) Rinkaichu hives. Spending two now takes away from Venom of the Infinite so you lose one (1) no matter way.
    • Changed it so it now extended poison by one turn. Figured that was less busted.
    • I also lowered the cost since it spends more hives now and potentially does less damage. 
  • Let me know if there are balance changes or wording that needs to be fixed. Hoping to get these approved soon. 

Game balance aside, I think a small discussion about logistics here is warranted.

Firstly; I want to highlight the Aburame's specialized nature and how it is currently adapted to the game. It's a lot of skills. To buy all of the Aburame skills currently on their clan page is 20 SP (of your total 60). I'm also sure there are more than that floating in Approved Skills. This is a full third of your lifetime gains in Skill Points. This kind of specialization can be good, but there are a lot of skills in the game that help build a foundation for a strong, easy to use character. In short, it's a big investment to be an Aburame already.

Secondly; How many resources do you feel comfortable reliably juggling in a battle? Currently, a regular Aburame has Health, Chakra, Stamina, and Kikkai Hives. Already one more than most players. Do you have a clear idea in mind of how adding a fifth resource to your kit will enhance gameplay and have you considered that it might detract from it?

If I were in your shoes, I would be sitting on a choice. Make Rinkai hives and Kikkai hives mutually exclusive. You can be one kind of Aburame or the other kind. This would help eliminate clan-based bloat to your character and keep your battle strategies more simple. Would also mean doing additional work to make sure techniques of the clan will work with Rinkai hives too. The canon purist in me leans toward this option a bit, because it seemed a lot like Rinkai were not great at cohabitation.

The easier alternative, and the one that I would probably do, is strive very hard to make all of the what Rinkaichu do, encapsulated within one taijutsu style. I think it would be really easy to do, since that Aburame guy's whole deal was essentially just touching people and giving them the yucky.

- Keep in mind, none of this is official staff mandate. I'm just talking with you about potential issues you might run into on a logistic level, and anything else is just how I would roll it. If you have any questions or want to discuss it further, my DM's are always open on Discord.

Updated Designer Notes

• Updated several of the advanced system skills.
  • With the skills are they are now, in order to achieve maximum potential, it would cost 19sp. That includes the original Infestation Contract, The Rinkaichu Contract, two (2) ranks of Extra Queen, the Tai style, and everything in the Advanced System.
  • The first skill has been changed entirely since the Rinkaichu Hives are coming from another skill. I think the numbers for the stat bonuses are congruent with other advanced systems.
  • Changed the second skill to something similar to the original idea. This time, I changed it to it required a Taijutsu technique that already uses a Rinkaichu Hive. The poison damage is now dependent on the number of hives the user chooses to use. In order to reach the highest possible damage (300 poison damage + base damage) with this advanced system and tai style, the use would need to spend either six (6) Rinkaichu Hives with Venom of the Infinite, or seven (7) Rinkaichu Hives, five (5) Rinkaichu Charges, and 5% of their health. If the numbers are too high for the tai style, advanced system, or both, I'm open to lowering them. Please offer constructive criticism though vs just tearing it apart. 
  • The last two skills have remained the same. If Venom of the Infinite is still too strong to approve, let me know and I'll change it to something else. 
Edited by Tw33dle

I have one single concern. With Venomous Injection, I think that the wording needs to be slightly changed to "the user may spend up to five (5) additional ‘Rinkaichu Hive’ to deal 40x poison damage, where x is the number of additional ‘Rinkaichu Hives’ spent." I think this was probably your intention in the first place, to limit the extra damage to the 5 additional hives, but I want to make the sure the wording reflects that without doubt.

I think Venom of the Infinite is probably fine as long as Venomous Injection forces you to spend more than one hive a turn, which it does currently.

Venomous Nano Beetles: Stats are at the max allowable for a bloodline, that's fine.

Venomous Injection: Slight wording change. Essentially as written, this does the extra poison damage instantly and regardless of if you hit or don't. I think it should be: 
"When performing a Taijutsu technique utilising one (1) or more 'Rinkaichu Hives', the user may spend up to eight (8) additional 'Rinkaichu Hives' to add Poison; (25x) [1] to the first strike of that technique."

Merciless Venom: This one is the one I have issues with. Oh, you slap Poison; 1 [3] on all your techniques, that is a persistent 10/20/30% reduction to defence that they have no real way of resisting unless they're a medic who can battle the poison they're essentially going to have to make a barrier you can't get through for 2 turns then RPJ your efforts on turn 3 to break the chain. If you slip through once and slap on 3 more turns, they're utterly stuffed. 

So maybe instead you pick a static number, say 20%. And as long as your opponent is poisoned and the advanced system is active, you may ignore that percentage of their defence.  At least then it doesn't scale infinitely,

Venom of the Infinite : I think this is worded wrong, see as it is, this would only trigger if you spend exactly 1 hive, but you tend to want to spend more with Venomous Injection, so I feel this should be:

"Once per turn when the user spends 1 or more ‘Rinkaichu Hives’, they may treat one of those ‘Rinkaichu Hives’ as if it were not spent.

I think that should about sort it.

Edited by Princess

Venomous Nano Beetles: No changes were made since none were requested. 

Venomous Injection: Corrected the wording as you suggested; however, I just rewrote some of it to fit my style of writing. 

Merciless Venom: Reduced the damage reduction to a flat 20% as you suggested.

Venom of the Infinite: Corrected the wording.