dowhatnow

Subdub

SubDub  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your anime subtitled or dubbed?

• Dubbed.
    • Subbed.
    • I watch the RAWs, screw you guys.
    • My answer is not listed here.

So, I got to thinking, "There are some series that are actually dubbed pretty well. Others don't quite hit the same standard of excellence as their Japanese counterparts. Others still just fail as dubbed materials."

I wanna know what your take on this is.

Me? I watch whatever hurts the overall quality of what ever I'm watching the least.

<----- Subbed Ftw

Any basis for this?

I don't know what it is, but the Japanese versions of anime always seem so emotional, whereas the english voice actors sound... fake, I guess.

True, but that's a generalization. Not all English actors make their characters sound "fake," you know.

Edited by Ransho Kagemaru

My bais is usually based on the dialog of "Dubbed" versions of shows. (The fake or watered down language) And well there are a few shows I liked in their dubbed versions, like Yu Yu Hakusho. But I would usually like to watch the subbed for the above reasons.

One example of watered down language would be Rock lee's "Drunken Fist". Which in the English dub was "Loopy fist". That just annoyed the hell out of me.

Edited by tsukasa

I personally like some dubbed anime over their original versions, but that's most likely due to the fact that I've grown up with the English voice actors. Take Dragonball Z for example... I hate the Japanese voices for them... Vegeta must have Chris Sabat...

Then again, I only watched a few of the English Naruto episodes, and having watched the Japanese versions shortly after, I grew to favor the original voices over our annoying English dubbs.

It really does depend. I personally believe some anime producing companies are better than others but anyone can screw up a dub if they don't put enough time into it. Funimation for example. Decent stuff a lot of the time, but then they occasionally come out with something bad....ie, one, freaking piece. Saw the dub first and never even touched the sub out of fear. Then you have really good ones, such as Full metal alchemist. Some people just like watching subs because of their fascination with the country, like me. Taking Japanese my sophomore year of college and going to tokyo for a few weeks to study my major there.

(Btw Rk, 00 gundam kicks butt subbed. lol)

99% of the time I watch Subbed - every now and then an anime slips by where I actually like the English voices (Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star). But I read fast enough to catch the subs, which is the only argument I've heard against it from my friends.

Question. [i don't watch much... anything, anime related. xD;]

Did Ten Gurren Lagann [not sure if I spelt it right. ;p] have good english actors? I mean, this is coming from a girl who doesn't know anything about anime.

Depends on which version you're talking about.

ADV: We'll never know. Because...

Bandai: Got a hold of it. Replaced a bunch of roles.

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of what little of the English version I saw. I mean, casting the guy that does the DBZ announcer AND Krillin from the same series as Kamina? No thanks.

Addendum for the nay-sayers: I offer you three simple words. Johnny. Yong. Bosch. Oh, here's one more. Rossiu.

Edited by Ransho Kagemaru

Depends on the series, but mostly the subs.

Big O, GitS: SAC, Cowboy Bebop and so on were shows I thought had better dubs. I'm pretty sure Bebop's director himself said he preferred the dub.

Also G Gundam for pure cheesyness and it makes it seem even more like an old martial arts film.

Edited by Ozma

The Japanese version has way more emotion to make it seem well, to make it seem how it's supposed to, the english one sounds like they are holding back.

(Naruto for example)

Some shows though actually having good dubbing like you said, Code Geass, when I hear Lelouch laughing in an ominous way, I feel the situation, when he yells, really yells, like the japanese subbing. Unlike Naruto (in english) that sounds like they're holding back.

The Japanese version has way more emotion to make it seem well, to make it seem how it's supposed to, the english one sounds like they are holding back.

(Naruto for example)

Some shows though actually having good dubbing like you said, Code Geass, when I hear Lelouch laughing in an ominous way, I feel the situation, when he yells, really yells, like the japanese subbing. Unlike Naruto (in english) that sounds like they're holding back.

I still think it has more to do with which version you first start watching. I started the FMA series with the English dubbing on Adult Swim some years ago, and having grown accustomed to how they speak and their personalities, I think the Japanese versions are... well... lame. To me, a lot of the Japanese voices from many actors sound almost too emotional. If the scene demands it, that's fine, but from what I've noticed, characters (especially female) are always either too bubbly or too fake.

Question. [i don't watch much... anything, anime related. xD;]

Did Ten Gurren Lagann [not sure if I spelt it right. ;p] have good english actors? I mean, this is coming from a girl who doesn't know anything about anime.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

The dub is very good, more then usual dubs ( though certain characters could use more work then others ) the only real complaint I have is that the voice actors seem to be holding back their 'manly burning spirit' during all the intense scenes. That and even though the translation is correct, I'd much rather Giga Drill Breaker then Giga Drill Break.