Eechi-go

Ideal NA Game:.

So, talk of NA being turned into a video game isn't a foreign topic here. It's been brought up on many occasions, but I've seen varying ideas on what genre it should be. So I'm curious, what do you think would be the best way to create an NA inspired game.

Ideally I'd say an RPG with all of the mechanics being done behind the scenes, but I think the best way to give as many characters as physically possible a chance at the spotlight, we'd be better off with a Marvel vs Capcom inspired fighter, at least for an amateur game. That way the characters could theoretically be added more often (sort of like Mugen). I'd love to make teams of three interchangeable characters to fight with though.

Personally, I'd rather see something along the lines of Bethesda's work (Fallout series, Elder Scrolls series, etc.), but I know that requires far too much effort and resources for the collective of NA to muster -- especially if we were to consider graphics in this equation -- very quickly. Alternatively, an MMO seems best, but I'm not a fan of the fighting game aspect of it. So... MMO NA, FF Style?

Alternatively, a Fire Emblem style that lets you have access to a huge number of characters.

This is possibly the easiest one we could do, actually. I used to splice these together all the time. Those were without much effort too. Honestly, I don't think there's much to Fire Emblem games outside of their RNG.

Fire Emblem would be the easiest way to manage, but it would be a straight forward linear storyline which is the exact opposite of NA storylines. Really the only flaw with the idea unless you compiled old stories together to make a series of games!

I've never actually played Chrono Trigger, so my only experience is with Fire Emblem if they're both alike. I -do- know that Fire Emblem tends to have 10 levels of tutorial, followed by the story branching off in two different directions. Theoretically that could be done by branching off into the NCIA storyline or the Resistance storyline.

Edited by Eechi-go

The question now is... Who has experience in programming?

I am one such person, but if this were actually to become legitimate, I'd need more than my wee self.

EDIT: I do also have RPG Maker VX and XP, excellent programs that could work well for us. ((And RPGMaker 2003, which is a little less awesome but completely free))

Edited by K Mitsuhide

I'd actually started on that idea way back when.

[+10 if you were actually around when that was my username.]

Hey I did that.

Honestly, Chrono Cross. The style of it can be tweaked to fit the NA-universe, especially with the wide variety of characters that you can use with their own bust shots during their dialogue (every person has one if I'm not mistaken). Fighting style? and type of RPG. FFVII has a simple battle scene and is turn by turn based, so fairness. Plus, we can have a Barret :x

The main issue with Fire Emblem is that we'd have to assign classes to each character, and it's not quite simple. I mean if we have 20 mages around, I AM NOT OBJECTING BUT it won't be a clear transition all the time. Truthfully though, enough people have hacked those games, we could easily get our hands on the project and run with it. Eechi at least will enjoy the look of it.

Dibs on hector model :x

We would have to tweak things to fit NA, yeah. I think that goes without saying regardless of the game type. As far as classes go and promoting, the fear of having 20 mages is realistic, but the 'spells' could always be restricted based on personal element. When the character promotes, they could choose another style of fighting, like swords, axes, ect. Or a different spell type. Same goes for the melee classes. Just tossing around ideas. It would require some additional sprite work but I figure I could manage it.

I apparently need to play Chrono Cross though.

I want to see the customization of the SIMS games with the class choices of Crystal Bearers and then the gameplay of chrono Cross :P

EDIT: By class choices, I just mean being able to go ahead and pick whatever the hell you want to be haha

Edited by PandaMattMatt