Kouta

Jinton | Dust Release | 塵遁

Jinton

Dust Release

K4Q8A9h.gif

塵遁

Jinton | Dust Release |塵遁
A relic of the Tsuchikage of old, Dust Release is a highly advanced nature manipulation, only mastered by the strongest and most detail oriented of shinobi. The release itself is a constant math problem, calculating the necessary size, density, and thickness of the geometric shapes in order to control the native destructive force of the Dust Release. At the center of those geometric shapes is the true power of Dust Release. The unstable blend of chakra is like a frozen nuclear explosion, a small pinprick of light contained within the construct of chakra. When released, Dust release techniques will expand their bounds according the ninja who created them. Then the explosion inside detonates, vaporizing anything unlucky enough to be caught inside of the blast with a blinding flash of light. The results are what give the nature manipulation its name, as it reduces everything to dust, the intense pressure separating enemies and constructs on an atomic level. It is rumored that before a ninja can claim the mantle of Tsuchikage, they have to prove they can use Dust Release, as its difficulty of use and the incredible speed of thought required to master it signify not only a powerful ninja but an amazing tactician to boot.

Restrictions: Iwagakure, Ranks in the following Skills may only be taken once every 40 Levels.

Jinton Affinity
Effect: Characters with this skill gain the skill ‘Combinatorial; Dust’ for 0 Skill Points regardless of requirements. When purchased, the skill 'Combinatorial; Dust' replaces their village bonus skill. When purchasing the skill ‘Ninjutsu Mastery; Dust’, characters with this skill may purchase 2 ranks for 1 Skill Point.
Description: Jinton is often seen as a mark of an exceptional shinobi, and those who can master its inner workings faster than those around them are quickly earmarked for advancement, especially in Iwagakure. Ninja who attempt to use Jinton without an ample supply of chakra should be careful, as its destructive potential can easily backfire on the user if mishandled.
Cost: -2

Jinton Empowerment
Effect: When activating a [Dust] jutsu, the user may choose not to target any items for destruction with the ability of 'Combinatorial; Dust'. For each item that would have been targeted, that [Dust] jutsu will deal an additional 40x Total Damage, where x is equal to the number of ranks in this skill.
Description: The explosion at the heart of any Dust Release is essentially just unstable chakra. An expert in Dust Release can easily pour more chakra into the heart of the explosion and amplify the power that the jutsu can create. This tends to dull the destructive atomizing power that shreds physical matter, but increases the air pressure inside the geometric field, causing extensive damage to anyone caught inside it, as if struck by a massive concussive blast.

Restriction: Ranks in this Skill may only be taken every 40 Levels.

Maximum Ranks: 2
Cost: -1

Jinton Atomization
Effect:  When activating the effect of 'Combinatorial; Dust' , the opponent's equipment will be destroyed on a roll of (1 + x) or lower, instead of just a roll of 1, where x is equal to the user's rank in this skill.
Description: Dust Release has never been a calm or quiet element. It has always been loud, flashy, and destructive. For a master of Dust Release, however, they can harness that explosion, making minute, millimeter adjustments to the location of the geometric chakra barrier before expanding it. This allows them far greater precision with where the chakra will explode, often stripping targets of their most powerful pieces of equipment.

Maximum Ranks: 2

Jinton Obliteration
Effect: When a character with this skill applies the effects of the skill ‘Subtle Elements; Wind’ to a [Dust] technique, the fail chance of jutsu used in the response phase are increased by an additional 5% per rank in this skill. Additionally, once per battle per two ranks in this skill, a ninja may choose to have their [Dust] jutsu automatically deal critical damage to any Clone, Construct, or Summon that it hits. Damage dealt by that attack does not carry over in the case of broken Barriers or Shields.
Description: Dust Release’s power lies in its destructive and explosive power. Atomizing things inside of its field gives it a unique ability to break down non-moving targets like walls and barriers, but the chakra field that it creates is also excellent at severing the ties between ninja and their clones or summons. When specifically targeting these, a Dust Release technique will often completely vaporize them with little to no effort.

Maximum Ranks: 2

Edited by Kouta
Removing Loophole Wording, per Tony

Designer's Notes

Dust is one of the only canon elements that doesn't have a "Element BL" template. So I made one.

Jinton Affinity: The first skill I increased the SP from the standard -1 to -2, because Dust is more expensive and a higher tier. Otherwise it's textbook.

Jinton Empowerment: This is the anime ability where they "charge" their Jinton for a few seconds before they fire them. I wanted this to translate into a game mechanic. So essentially you can "Channel" your jutsu for one MPA and apply all your mods and stuff twice and get a slight buff to the base damage, to help you deal extra damage or to break through a barrier or something. I priced this at -1 because you don't actually gain much of anything (you can always just use two different Dust Techniques in those MPAs and rip someone almost the same way) except choice and flavor, AND I gave the enemy a chance to disrupt the ability and make you waste a whole MPA charging. However, rather than allowing the jutsu to just straight break damage caps, I decided to give the jutsu Coalesence Damage Caps, as if you were coalescing with yourself. Because you kind of are.

Jinton Atomization: Buffs the chance for Dust to Blow Up Your StuffTM per conversation with PMM.

Jinton Obliteration: The standard "When applying subtle...." skill, buffs Winds "Fuck your RPJ" ability, and also lets me, once per battle, crush your barrier/clone/summon by atomizing it critically.

Edited by Kouta

I mean, I can change it to bonus Fire and just go for "Over 9000" power, if we'd prefer. I was just trying to not make it too overwhelming "punch you in the face" and so went with Earth.

Will be done momentarily. So done.

Edited by Kouta

There's no "need for reduced stats" inherent in the ability. Empowerment makes you sacrifice 1 main phase action to get a bigger hit on a second main phase action. I could achieve the same amount of Mods by just casting two separate jutsu in each of those Main Phase Actions (and I'd get more total damage by just casting the exact same jutsu twice, since the base damage bump is nowhere near just casting it twice). Its real purpose it to plow through defensive walls and barriers by giving me a larger single hit instead of two smaller ones.

In addition, the skill gives my opponent a counterplay option. The jutsu costs the same to cast, so my giant jutsu can be negated by an RPJ at its original cost, and the opponent can just hit me with an attack and cause the entire jutsu to fizzle before I can launch it.

If you really want to short yourself on Ninjutsu so that you can attack every OTHER turn, I mean, knock yourself out, but that just weakens you in the end. Lack of tempo will kill you way faster. It's far more effective for you to have a large mod to take advantage of the ability since it doesnt boost base damage very much.

Explosion needs to cost a minimum of -2 per rank. 1 sp for the increase to fire damage and 1 sp for doubling destroy chance 4 times per battle. It may have to go up higher, but -2 is the bare minimum it should be.

My other concern is that I don't really like subtle elements fire dealing 15% total damage. That's... the same as Rust, but it's a subtle elemtent bonus being applied to also destroy like... a lot of equipment. 

I personally think explosion should dump the increase to fire and just go all in on the destruction of the equipment. For every rank in the skill, add 1 to the chance that equipment will be destroyed, but drop the ranks down to 3. This gives you like an 80% chance to destroy equipment, which as the Dust Release bloodline, is something I would rather see then giving an additional 10% to Fire, which isn't what this bloodline is about.

Both of these, price wise and effect wise, match the other "Advanced Element" bloodlines as closely as I could get it, including but not limited to Steel Release, Scorch Release, Storm Release. All of those "Advanced Release" Bloodlines follow this same pattern, boosting the power of a Subtle Element that makes up the Advanced Release, and then also adding some other limited use ability, all for -1 per rank (In fact, Fire is almost directly copy/pasted from Steel Release itself). I see not how these abilities are any stronger than some of the options offered there and thus warrant doubling the cost of these abilities. If I am incorrect, let me know how.

Now, if you feel I REALLY need to dump the fire boosting then I can perhaps zero in on Jinton's destructive power (still staying at -1 per rank), but 80% Chance to rip off your equipment to me sounds a lot stronger than 10% extra damage as Burn Damage.

Ah, I see. I was not one of the approvers who stamped the mentioned bloodlines. You're correct that -1 per rank is the standard.

You can keep the effect however you like. I just think that with something like Dust Release, really focusing on what the element itself does is a better idea than trying to just make it deal more damage through DoT. And yeah, an 80% chance to destroy equipment is strong, but A.) It's a bloodline and as you have a pretty clear focus here, I think it'd be fine. B.) It has 2 chances to fail. the first is if/when the attack hits. If they dodge, this never comes up. The second is the roll itself. There's still a 20% chance to be unscathed, but an 80% chance to be totally boned. My personal feelings are that I would rather see a more unique effect that is a little stronger, than a cookie cutter skill that the rest of the bloodlines have.

Also, KC doesn't really like it when his effects a straight up ripped off from his creations without speaking to him first. Not trying to yell at you, but yeah, I would either try to PM KC and see if he's ok with it or change the effect so that it isn't his own effect.

I will take 80% to wreck your equipment every day of the week. Change the name to "Jinton Atomization" and changed the effect to: "When activating the effect of 'Combinatorial; Dust', enemies equipment will be destroyed on a roll of (1+x) or lower, where x is equal to the user's rank in this skill." Capped the skill at 3 ranks.

Edited by Kouta

Just personal opinion, but this seems to have a ton of versatility and too much power to boot

Effect: When a character with this skill applies the effects of the skill ‘Subtle Elements; Wind’ to a [Dust] technique, the fail chance of jutsu used in the response phase are increased by an additional 5% per rank in this skill. Additionally, once per battle per 2 ranks in this skill, a ninja may choose to have their [Dust] jutsu automatically deal critical damage to any Barrier, Shield, Clone, Construct, or Summon that it hits. Damage dealt by that attack does not carry over in the case of broken Barriers or Shields.

I dont like giving you 2 times per battle to auto crit a barrier, that seems pretty strong even though its ever 2 ranks. 

You can keep the effect however you like. I just think that with something like Dust Release, really focusing on what the element itself does is a better idea than trying to just make it deal more damage through DoT. And yeah, an 80% chance to destroy equipment is strong, but A.) It's a bloodline and as you have a pretty clear focus here, I think it'd be fine. B.) It has 2 chances to fail. the first is if/when the attack hits. If they dodge, this never comes up. The second is the roll itself. There's still a 20% chance to be unscathed, but an 80% chance to be totally boned. My personal feelings are that I would rather see a more unique effect that is a little stronger, than a cookie cutter skill that the rest of the bloodlines have.

I definitely agree with what PMM is saying here, parts of this feel like dust, others just feel thrown in for utility purposes. Like the additional fire damage thing, what part of dust does that even fit into? 

Also, KC doesn't really like it when his effects a straight up ripped off from his creations without speaking to him first. Not trying to yell at you, but yeah, I would either try to PM KC and see if he's ok with it or change the effect so that it isn't his own effect.

Ill second this. You even posted after he had said those exactly words in the first draft of my Kagune bloodline. 

Jinton Empowerment

a 30% increase to base damage for -1? Denied.

Jinton Atomization
Effect:  When activating the effect of 'Combinatorial; Dust' , the opponent's equipment will be destroyed on a roll of (1 + x) or lower, instead of just a roll of 1, where x is equal to the user's rank in this skill.

This is pretty much ripped directly from tygs Seiton (Rust), where he was using rust, youre just using Dust. (There may be very slight differences in wording, but essentially, they do the same thing.) 

Obliteration

I think this needs -2 per rank at least. Not even sure if I am ok with you being able to tack on an extra 20% fail chance on to your entire kit. That seems stupidly busted.

Half the things you just commented on are no longer relevant since I already changed them after PMM suggested them (fire isnt even mentioned in this bloodline anymore....). But to what is still relevant:

Jinton Obliteration: Like I've stated before, Obliteration follows the exact same pattern as every other Advanced Element Release, where it buffs a Subtle Bonus and then gives a limited use ability x times. I don't mind changing the numbers here, reducing Wind's buffs to 2.5% so it caps at 10% buff and 20% total (Even though that would make this bonus half of what every other Advanced Release Bloodline gets), and I don't mind making the auto crit once per battle period instead of once per battle per 2 ranks. But, especially in the form I just suggested, this is not stronger than Storm Release's ability that increases the cost reduction from Water to -30% total and also lets them completely ignore shields/barriers once per battle, and thats priced at -1 per rank. Nor is it stronger than Steel Release's buff to fire for an additional 10% total damage on every technique and the ability to increase an attack's total damage by 32% once per battle, and that is also priced at -1 per rank. So I'll make the suggested changes that are bolded above...but this isn't going to -2 per rank. In fact, those changes would cut its power fully in half, and so your rating of -2 would easily become -1.

Jinton Atomization: What are you even talking about? Rust doesn't have a native die roll, nor does it have a skill that modifies that die roll's success chances. Rust is about making poisons and adding poison damage to Rust techs. This skill modifies the natural effect of "Dust" so it triggers more frequently. I think the skill you are referring to is one that allows Rust to reduce the total benefit by a piece of equipment, and if it reduces it 6 times the item breaks. These two skills, in wording and in action, ARE NOTHING ALIKE.

Jinton Empowerment: Do the math here before you fly off the handle. If I have a jutsu, lets say it deals 1000 Damage because we're balancing for Senin. I use this ability, and sacrifice an entire main phase action to essentially Coalesce with myself. That 1000 Base Damage becomes 1300 Base Damage, and I mod it twice. OR I can not use this ability, just cast the jutsu twice, and get 1000 Base Damage Twice (2000) and Mods Twice. The 30% Base Damage bump is to make it a viable action to take, because your tempo loss usually means this is always the wrong choice, unless you are facing a high defense character. And since the cost hasn't changed, it is cheaper to RPJ this mega-attack than it is to RPJ two main phase attacks. Cheaper by half. So my big charged attack, the one that I spent so much time building up? is weaker than two individual attacks. You saw a number and flipped out. Do math. It doesnt say "All Dust get 30% Base Damage Boost"

Edited by Kouta

Funny because I was commenting directly from what your currents effects are listed as. 

Jinton Obliteration

Im gonna hold you to that in my own elemental bloodline [which I remember some  if were setting that precedent, you better believe it. Still like to see a mod weigh on on whether or not this is now the elemental bloodline gold standard. 

Jinton Atomization 

I would like to see this consume a set up phase, some sort of actual cost other than just forcing a die roll to destroy something. It needs to cost something. 

If you actually read what I said you would've noticed that I said TYGS rust bloodline. Which after several hits with his rust corrosion techs, destroys items, you just made that way easier by (at max rank) giving you a 50% to destroy an item (free of cost I might add) every dust technique you use? Are you serious? Hes paying 6 SP (in his elemental bloodline) and required to hit the same item 6 times to destroy something. You get a 50% chance every use of a dust tech (which being a dust user you will have a shitload of them). hjK? 

Siegecraft

Description: The corrosive nature of the ninja’s chakra breaks down yang released energy. Through honing this quality, they are able to remove obstacles placed in front of them by their enemies faster than normal.

Effects: This character's Rust element techniques now deal an additional X unmodified damage to non-player constructs; X is equal to 10 times their rank in this skill. When this character uses a Rust element technique targeting a combatant wearing equipment, they may also target a single piece of revealed equipment; if the used technique successfully strikes the target combatant, reduce the total stat augmentation on the target equipment by 15% of its total for the remainder of combat. Equipment targeted and struck by this effect six ( 6 ) total times in the same combat are considered "Destroyed"; items with the Indestructible attribute are considered Unusable for the remainder of combat. Ranks in this skill may be taken once every 20 levels.

Ranks: 3

Cost: -2

So bring that to -2 at a minimum, you dont even have to hit them 6 times to destroy something, you get the option every attack, -3 per rank may be a more fair costing to this. 

Ill be editing in some math on empowerment shortly. 

Which also, if thats gonna be a one off with no other ranks, it needs to have some requirements to get that at least somewhat end game, specially with that kind of damage increase. And honestly feel thats way too powerful of a buff for just 1 sp. 

Know what before I even bother with that, lets get an admin in here to see if theyre even cool with you doubling up modifiers (even with a sacrificing of secondary main phase, eeasily gotten around by stacking speed on the char. @cntrstrk14 @Azure

Edited by Pwnzie

You do realize what Dust Element's Elemental Effect is, right?

May use Dust Element techniques. Dust techniques have a chance to apply the 'Destroy Item' or 'Destroy Weapon' status effect to x target items, where x is equal to the base cost of the Dust technique divided by 200, rounded up. Opponent rolls 1d5 for each target when they are struck, with a roll of a one (1) destroying the item. In addition, the user may choose to apply the bonus from one of the Subtle Elements skills required to learn this element if they own it.
Requirements: Subtle Elements; Earth, Fire & Wind

Like, I'm not creating this ability. I already have a 20% chance to blow up equipment because of Dust Release. Like thats already the elements effect. I just increase the chance to trigger that. Maybe thats the missing link that was making this weird for you. I'm not creating this ability out of nowhere. If there was literally any other % chance to activate ability, and someone said "hey I'm gonna spend -3 SP to increase that chance by 60% and not even cap out so it always happens" this wouldn't even be a conversation.

So this is not stacking on top of dusts effect that already has a 20% chance, the way it was worded was making it seem like in addition to the 20% thing, you get a separate shot of breaking another thing. That definitely makes it more acceptable, def feel better about it if it capped at 40 and not 50, 50s a little much. Apologies for misunderstanding the intent of that. 

Yea, you dont get extra attempts, it just changes the success rate.

So, without this bloodline, Dust has a 1 in 5 shot of breaking something. With the ability, Dust has a (1 + x) in 5 shot of breaking something, where x is your rank of that skill. Now, the way it is currently structured, PMM had me put it at a max of [(1 + [3]) in 5] or [4 in 5] shot of breaking something. His reasoning was threefold, that the attack still has to succeed to attempt the destruction, that there is still a chance for failure after the attack succeeds, and that it is literally what dust does, so the focus of the element and the ability is very high. Do with that what you will, but I of course am inclined to agree with the reviewer that lets me make things stronger, for obvious biased reasons.

Jinton Affinity: So if I take this at level 1 instead of character creation it does not replace my village element?

Jinton Empowerment: This just destroys Defense builds at little cost. There is a reason you can't coalescence with yourself. Half extra modifiers and a limit of one use per battle per rank with 2 ranks and we can start to talk from there.

Jinton Atomization: At maximum ranks this is very very close to just adding +400 CP to every 200 CP of Dust Release you have. The 20% success rate is a big balancing act for Dust, and pushing this balance in the complete opposite direction is pretty strong to make it "mostly fail" to "mostly succeed". Take this example to explain my point. A 1000 CP base cost Dust Jutsu hopes, on average, to destroy 1 of 5 target items. This would make that an average of 4 of 5 items. That's a massive jump. I'm not sure how to salvage this, but there are a few possibilities. Changing the roll to be a d10 and a 1-2 is the base and each rank still gives +1 so at rank 4 a 1-6 on a d10 is a success could get there and still hold over the 1-80 scaling. Alternatively you can just make it two ranks and be every 40 levels.

Jinton Obliteration: How do you account for a 0.5% on a d100? Also, the auto critical on constructs four times per battle is probably worth more than -1 SP per rank on its own. That's a lot of extra damage, though it does help that it can't directly hit players. What happens if you deal critical damage to a barrier and damage splashes over to the user? Also, you don't need to list out Shields and Barriers, they are constructs.

On mobile so replies will be terse.

Affinity: Thats how its structured yes. My understanding was that if it doesnt replace the village element you have to meet its requirements normally before you can acquire it (by possessing fire wind and earth) because it doesnt say "ignoring requirements". This is the same wording as all the other Affinity Skills, but I can make this more clear if we'd like.

Atomization: Im okay with 60%, limiting this to two ranks at 40 levels apiece. Pwnzie suggested sort of the same thing.

Obliteration: Once per battle. Not once per battle PER RANK. You only get one auto crit no matter how many ranks you take. And the skill already specifies that splash damage is nullified in its last sentence. I can just add (rounded down) to account for half percentages.

EDIT: Changed up these skills in line with Cntr's Suggestions.

Jinton Atomization: 2 Ranks, 40 levels/rank, caps at 60%.

Jinton Obliteration: 2 Ranks, 40 levels/rank, 5% Wind buff each rank, you only get the autocrit after attaining rank 2.

Then I changed Jinton Empowerment cuz that fight isn't worth it. Instead I gave the element the utility to deal more damage in a different way. Instead of coalescing with yourself, you can elect to sacrifice its "destroy items" effect in order to bump its damage. 2 Ranks, 40 levels/rank.

Double Edit: In case anyone wants me to crunch the Jinton Empowerment Numbers...

40x for each potential item destroyed, per rank in this skill.

Genin: 40 Bonus Damage. You'll never be higher enough leveled to take rank two, and you'll never spend 201 Chakra on a technique.
Chunin: 80 Bonus Damage. You'll get high enough to take rank two, but you'll still never spend 201 Chakra on a Technique.
Jounin: 160 Bonus Damage. You'll have Rank2 and you can get to 380 Chakra, which is enough to double the bonus, but you won't hit 401 Chakra.
Senin: 320 Bonus Damage. You can reach 800 Chakra on a Senin Technique, which is enough to trigger 4 times. 4x80 = 320.

This is right on par with other "Boost" damage abilities like Jyuken Mastery, and requires me to sacrifice my Item Destruction as a form of payment. I especially liked that it's not a "you can sacrifice just some of your items" it is a total "all or nothing" either I'm blowing up items or I'm dealing mo damage.

If we feel I need to add some kind of chakra cost to this in addition to saccing my item destruction, come at me with reasonable numbers, but item destruction can be worth as much as 400 CP, and 80 Damage is worth 80 CP MAX, so I feel like I'm more than even.

Edited by Kouta

Affinity: Yes, easy.

Empowerment: Do you mean Base or Total damage increase?

Atomization: Love it.

Obliteration: Tying this to Wind seems a little odd considering there are no other abilities that interact with subtle elements in the bloodline. If you were forced to choose between different elements to get the bonus then I would understand the decision more. In any event, I think a +10% fail chance requiring Lv40+ and a quasi-Strategist that only works on secondary characters/structures is fine without the Wind restriction.

Empowerment is meant to work exactly like Jyuken or Nin Mastery type skills. It is an additional modifier type damage. It does not multiply any damages at all, but to answer your question, it would affect total damage not base, and thus bypasses skills like Shiva that would bump it even bigger. I have edited the language to be more clear.

So far, every "___ Release" has boosted a subtle element choice, some of them boost two choices. I chose wind because Dust Release is Atomizing through the use of intense pressure, which at the end of the day is an Air-based attack. But its inclusion here, and its patterning, is to keep this conforming to "___ Release" Bloodlines as strictly as possible so we can keep a relative baseline for other "____ Release" bloodlines.

Empoerment: Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Obliteration: That's not quite accurate. Scorch, Wood, Rust and Liquid Steel all are advanced elemental bloodlines with no skills that depend on Subtle Element selection. There are more like Hyoton that also have no direct Subtle Element interaction, but they're in need of a resub and so probably shouldn't be considered. Effects proc'ing off subtle Element choice is actually quite a recent trend in Advanced Bloodlines and is only present in Storm and Steel.

Ultimately I guess it's fine if you don't want to change it, but I don't see a reason to restrict Obliteration only to jutsu where you choose Wind. Wind is present in all Dust Release techniques anyway.

No, the Barrier Critting is not tied to Wind. You are correct that it is a recent development in "___ Release" bloodlines though. But this skill gives you two powers.

1. Wind Jutus gain +% chance to fail.
2. Once per battle per two ranks; insta crit non-living things.

Thats why it has the words "Additionally...." this means we're giving a second power in the same skill. But the two are not tied together.

Edited by Kouta

I am aware that the auto-crit is independent of Wind, yes. But the RPJ fail chance is not and that was what I was discussing. Sorry for not clarifying that, in hindsight it needed an extra sentence. Why should the extra fail chance be bound only to Dust jutsu where you choose wind?