Kido

Question And Answer

1. Found this, and from what I can tell it's a stand-alone organization: http://ninja-academy-online.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18871

2. That suddenly makes a ton of sense. 

3. Seems like the response phase could be refined, but seeing as I'm new to this I'm probably not seeing the whole picture. 

Anyways, thank you. I'll probably be posting in this thread a lot for a while. 

Good to know. In fact, I'll probably be doing a lot of that, like, to a possibly annoying degree. If you think I'm getting over active, just ignore me long enough and I'll eventually get the hint. 

That said, another question. What exactly are the major differences between the staff positions? Like Game Artificer vs. Moderator and that kind of thing. 

Umikaze Naval Alliance is only with Mizu no Kuni and it's basically a trade organization.  I'm actually going to be touching on it quite a bit in your thread, so you'll get an idea of what it should be referred to.  (because its current topic can be misleading)

Alright then, that finally clears that up nicely. 

More questions: 

1. If I take the Shiva the Destroyer skill, can I still use the academy student level genjutsu in role play so long as I don't use them in a stat battle?

2. Can a level 0 summon know the Henge no Jutsu for role play purposes (even though it can't actually learn any techniques and that one isn't free for summons anyway)?

3. Why are the Henge no Jutsu and Bushin no Jutsu considered Genjutsu? In the naruto canon, genjutsu is described as: ". . . genjutsu techniques manipulate the flow of chakra in the victims brain, thus causing a disruption in their senses" and "Genjutsu is created when a ninja extends their chakra flow through the cerebral nervous system of their opponent to control their mind, thereby affecting their five senses." An ordinary clone is just a chakra apparition, it's technically there, it's not an illusion, it just isn't solid, and the Transformation jutsu runs on a similar principle in that you're just wrapping your own chakra around your body to look different. Neither of those is actually affecting anyone's mind or senses. Additionally, Henge and Bushin are also classified as ninjutsu in the canon. 

This is a portion of a PM I sent to ZeroFate. It deals with his question about response phase jutsu and I wanted to share it publically for informative purposes. The idea was to allow regular Main Phase jutsu to be used in the Response Phase to counter attacks. My response and the philosophy behind the reason we do not do that is as follows...

So, in short, this is not a good system for the game.

In long, let me explain why. First off, we have tried this before. Not officially, but there was a user created skill that allowed this in the far past. The problem with the system is the "invisible" cost of Response Phase jutsu. Response Phase jutsu cost JP and can only be used a limited amount of times per battle. That means that you have to set aside JP in order to be able to effectively counter enemy attacks. This cost is very important, because if a jutsu can do too much you will eventually have your entire arsenal of jutsu in the first 10 levels. This is boring and really hinders creativity. The JP spent on response phase jutsu is part of the balancing act of the entire system, so its important to not throw it out.

However, the RP flavor of what you want to do can still easily be obtained, you just have to make a specific jutsu for it. For instance, with your example of the Water Dragon skill, you would make a technique that counters an enemy ranged attack using the water dragon. The extra JP spent would be the equivalent of your character "learning" how to expand the use of this technique and use it in different ways. Here is an older fire jutsu I made that has almost the same flavor as what you are going for (that is, I deflect your attack with my own attack).

http://ninja-academy...showtopic=21833

TL;DR - No, because spending JP is important to balance, but keep up the brainstorming!

Now your current Q's:

1. No, part of the flavor of Shiva is that you give up the ability to use Genjutsu at all to further your ability with Ninjutsu. You can, however, make a cheap Ninjutsu that does something similar if you want the RP effects.

2. Sure!

3. The definition of Genjutsu has been foggy since Naruto started. In the show the explain it somewhat, but other times they will contradict this. Also realize, NA predates a lot of canon explanations for things and thus had its own reasoning beforehand. In general, NA "canon" will vary from Naruto "canon" where we see fit, and the breadth of Genjutsu is one such place. Basically anything that is not physical but illusionary falls under Genjutsu. The line between Genjutsu and Ninjutsu will always be a bit fuzzy, so somethings could be made in either.

1. Fair enough

2. Awesome! 

3. I'm a bit confused to what your response is here. Is it, "They're listed as genjutsu because they're still illusions, and it's not a big enough deal to try and hammer out more specific classifications for them," which would be understandable, or are you saying "they're listed as genjutsu but are also technically ninjutsu." ?

I am saying the first one. As far as our system goes, they are very solidly Genjutsu. The "flavor" differences between Genjutsu and Ninjutsu are much more fuzzy. As far as NA goes our definitions of each is basically...

Genjutsu: Anything that effects the mind or creates non physical illusions.

Ninjuts: EVERYTHING ELSE AND THE KITCHEN SINK.

Is there a list somewhere on the main site of effects/traits of jutsu that are not status effects? As in things like the "Seal-less" tag that means a jutsu doesn't need hand seals.

Jutsu Rules are generally another good place to look, e.g. Jutsu Rules: Sealless Jutsu. Also where you find information about AoE, Hybrid, Medical Jutsu, etc. or anything else that would be part of the jutsu tag/type and not necessarily an effect. 

The Jutsu rules page is the source of all public knowledge for rules concerning the creation of jutsu. If it is not on that page then it is either A.) never been done before B.) Been done and the already approved creations will be a basis for further approvals.