Kido

Question And Answer

Can jonin ranked Shinobi do the required posts to train for a jonin taught skill, but pay for them with normal SP? (For examples sake this jonin has already used 4/4 of his jonin taught SP for the skill below)

• Tree Climbing Training
Effect: Characters with this skill gain one of the following effects permanently;

• Gain a -10% Chakra cost reduction on any chakra-based technique.
• All Ninjutsu techniques deal +10% of their base damage.
• Basic elements have their effects increased by an additional +50% of their base.

Description: The idea behind climbing vertical surfaces to improve one’s chakra control is not new. Many shinobi traditions have taught it for years under different names. The exact details of the training vary, but the concept is simple, to climb a vertical surface one must focus a static amount of chakra to the soles of their feet. If too little chakra is applied, one simply falls. If too much chakra is used, they will repel themselves from the surface. The key is applying just the right amount, a trick which has many applications in the world of the shinobi.
Requirements: 15-Post Jōnin Training, x In-Character Time (Normal; 14 Days, Gifted; 12 Days, Genius; 10 Days, Prodigy; 8 Days, Legendary; 6 Days)
Cost: -1 [Jonin-Taught]

Edited by Pwnzie

So the status effect Numb. How does the interaction with it and small weapons play out? Its rather questionable in some respects. And then theres other little things here and there that kind of seem obvious but make me question them, though I'm almost certain that's largely just me overly analytical like usual:

Numb
All actions involving a weapon have a 25% chance to fail. Whenever you fail an action involving a weapon, all weapons currently equipped are dropped. A dropped weapon may be picked up during the Setup Phase as an action.
Max Duration: 4 turns 
Cost Points: 30/turn

1. Actions pertaining to weapons include equipping/picking them up, attacking with them in both weapon attacks and weapon techniques, as well as putting them away, correct?

2. For multi-hit weapon technique/jutsu, are each of these individual strikes, while apart of a single technique, count as multiple actions taking place?

3. Are small weapons counted as part of the weapons equipped clause? I'd assume no in most cases, since you primarily equip Medium and Large weapons while small weapons are just 'held' instead of being equipped usually, but at least from a logical point of view, even small weapons should drop too. So not sure if balance or logic prevails on that front.

4a. If small weapons do drop, can the character realistically keep pulling more out until they hopefully get lucky enough to gather the max allowed to be used in weapon attacks? (God, the number of rolls there...)

4b. Do dropped small weapons count towards the last phrase as far as being picked up in the Setup Phase as an action, since they otherwise cannot be picked up without the Gatherer skill? Or would skills like Gatherer make that phrase irrelevant and its mainly applied towards Medium and Large weapons?

5. Actually, is that last phrase technically irrelevantly in general? I had the impression it wasn't quite a forced effect brought on by the status and instead was more of a reference towards the rules for picking up Medium and Large weapons as an action during the Setup Phase.

Edited by Celes

1.) Yes, equipping and putting away is an action. Weapons and items that are smaller than your hand (so most small weapons) don't need to be equipped and can just be used, so they don't require actions.

2.) Multi attack techniques are single actions. A single attack is a single action. On the same note, small weapons are multi strikes on a single action, so you only need to roll once for multiple thrown small weapons.

3.) Answered above, but no. In the Setup Phase rules its said anything smaller than your hand doesn't need to be equipped. If they are 'dropped' and no longer on your character they need to be picked up. 

• See Battle Systel 3.02; Setup Phase

• See Equipment Rules 6.02; Weapon Rules - Dropping a Weapon or Item

4a.) They do not drop when you pull them out or put them away as explained above. If you fail your attack action with them that action is 'eaten up' and you drop all small weapons. If you have more on your person and a second attack you can draw more for your second attack, but you can't pick up the ones on the ground (Setup Phase action and you're in your Main Phase). 

4b.) A small weapon being "used" is different than it being dropped. Being dropped is a thing all items can have happen to them, explained in the Dropping a Weapon or Item above. When a small weapon is used in an attack it gets 'used' which is a special state that only applies to small weapons (mostly because we don't want to track them if they are inside people). Those small weapons can't be picked up normally, and that is what Gatherer is for.

5.) The last phrase is basically just reiterating what is explained in 6.02 above. Its the same rules to pick up generically dropped things or things dropped by Numb.

1.) Wait, so the "actions" in the status effect specifically apply to those that consume the Phase, more or less? I ask because even pulling out small weapons appeared to be considered actions based off the Glossary definition and Setup/Main Phase descriptions.  Just free actions. So moving forward, small weapons are exempt?

Action
Something done or performed by a Character in a Phase of their turn. What these actions can be are defined in the respective Phase rules in the Battle System page. In most cases an Action will consume the entire Phase it is used in. In some rare cases a player may be allowed multiple Actions in a Phase. 

2.) Figured on multi-attack techniques, but weapon attacks are a singular action is news. Thank goodness to that.

3.) Fair enough. Seemed realistic for them to drop as well, but works out decent enough to shift from Medium/Large to Small.

4a.) Ah, so they'll drop in the attack action. However, you can draw more during the Main Phase? That is also news since it only states "Use Small weapons (shuriken, needles, etc.)" for Main Phase actions. Interpreted that as using Small weapons that were pulled out during the Setup Phase as a free action. That makes things easier and makes more sense.

4b.) The used vs dropped part I already got. Clarified in below answer though.

5.) Gotcha. Thanks!

Edited by Celes

1.) Where are you looking? From what I can see the rules for Setup Phase indicate that you don't need to 'equip' or 'draw' small weapons at all, which means that they are just 'equipped' as part of the action that uses them. So if you throw 6 small weapons in your Main Phase you are 'equipping' them and throwing them all in a single action. Unless there is some rule I am forgetting somewhere that is directly contradicting that. (Note to self: Clean these rules up between Setup Phase and Equipment rules to be more clear). 

Basically in the Battle System rules that you referred. No contradictions are present I believe, as I understand where most of my confusion (and questions) stemmed from in relation to Numb:

The Setup Phase is just as the name implies, a phase in which you may prepare for your Main Phase action, or do some other small task. The Setup Phase is not a phase in which you should be attacking or targeting your opponent; that should be left for the Main Phase. In the Setup Phase, you gain one action in which you may do ONE of the following:

- Use an Item [Medical, Explosive Tag, Etc.]
- Pull out/Pick up items larger than your character's hand. This includes medium and large weapons but does not include small weapons such as kunai, shuriken, etc. As many as your character can logically hold - by default this is two. Use reason.
- Put away/store items larger than your character's hand. This includes medium and large weapons but does not include small weapons such as kunai, shuriken, etc. Again, use reason.
- Activate a Skill or Advanced System [If it requires activation]. 
- Use a Setup Phase Technique. See Jutsu Rules 5.25; Setup Phase Jutsu.

Some commonly confused actions that players may believe need the use of a Setup Phase are listed below. To be clear, these actions do not require the use of a Setup Phase action:

- Draw small weapons [kunai, etc.]. This is a free action and does not require any Phase.

The first underlined part suggested that while drawing/equipping a Medium/Large weapon during the Setup Phase was an action that used the whole Phase, "drawing/equipping" small weapons was not something that used the Setup Phase and you could do so any number of times as a free action. It's the fact that, while a free action, still appeared to be an action on its own, separate from the actual use of them in the Main Phase. The second underline portions of that rule section mostly explains where you were getting at, but I interpreted it, similarly, as "Drawing small weapons is a free action that does not consume the Setup Phase." It mentions 'does not require any Phase,' certainly; however, the aforementioned led to my belief that not only are "drawing/equipping" actions (free or not) for weapons performed in the Setup Phase, being a preparation Phase, but also that the "use" action of all weapons is done in the Main Phase. They're all actions, that appeared to proc the Numb status, but as you've clarified, weapon attacks = one action, instead of weapon strikes = multiple actions, as well as that small weapons are "drawn/used/equipped" in the same single action during the Main Phase when attacking with them.

Sorry, all of that wasn't quite as clear as I suppose it should've been. Like I said, figured I kind of read more into it than necessary I suppose.

Edited by Celes

Ah, that second part is what I was looking for and actually does contradict what I was saying before. Free Actions are indeed actions. The wording there is old and terrible, but the spirit of it was that I was trying to make sure people understood that you did not need to use a phase to draw small weapons. Since then we've better defined "Action" and "Free Action" so we probably could make that wording better. It looks like this needs some tending to in general to get updated wording. Right now though, because of the last line you have there, drawing a small weapon is a free action that is done any time. I may change this in the near future, but that means each time you want to use a small weapon you have to draw that weapon. So for example, this is what your Main Phase may look like while Numb.

Ninja A has 20 kunai and wants to use 6 kunai in an attack. Ninja A is also afflicted with 'Numb'. 

• [ Main Phase ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 74 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 34 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 99 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 14 for Numb; Failure! ]

• Ninja A drops all four (4) Kunai equipped. Has sixteen (16) on their person still.

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 42 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 44 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 1 for Numb; Failure! ]

• Ninja A drops all three (3) Kunai equipped. Has sixteen (13) on their person still.

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 98 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 76 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 27 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 87 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 56 for Numb; Success! ]

• Draw one Kunai [ Rolled 100 for Numb; Success! ]

• Ninja A throws six (6) kunai [ Rolled 34 for Numb; Success! ]

Obviously this is very clunky and kind of awful, but this is how it could currently work. Since drawing a small weapon is each an individual action currently each one has a chance to fail and drop all kunai. I will likely do an update after the tournament to make it work how I was saying above.

Hah, that part had me back and forth. Eventually thought it was in accordance with what you were saying, but overlooked the 'draw' part. So I actually was right when I did that during my match, except doing so during the Setup Phase. Thanks for clearing that up!

Tentatively yes, but ideally they have a 'home' village where they get most of their techniques from. I would probably question a summon that just has random techniques from all 5 village, but if like the Toads had a handful of Konoha techniques or Snakes had a handful of Oto techniques that would probably be fine. So answer is "Yes, but make sure it makes sense"

The same as training, however you must also have at least one character of that rank in the thread teaching the skill to you. The character training you must make at least three (3) posts throughout the training and must be controlled by another player. If you are of the indicated rank you do not need another character in the thread with you.

So, for the Rasengan and Chidori to be learned, it's been stated you must learn it from someone else that possesses the techniques and skills. However, looking at the skills' requirements, they only has 'X Post Jonin training', which is similar to other skills that can basically be learned on one's own once they've reached the indicated rank, as mentioned in the quoted Skills rule for Chuunin/Jounin/Sennin/Kage Training. So going off a technicality, a player could realistically learn those skills and the techniques on their own upon achieving Jounin right? I figure this isn't as intended but I just imagined someone doing all the training solo and then getting denied when a GM or modmin looks at the thread(s).

This also poses another question that I assume is as intended, but the aforementioned makes me wonder: if a character is taught the Rasengan and Chidori, they can't teach it to others until they are Jounin themselves, correct?

5 minutes ago, Celes said:

So, for the Rasengan and Chidori to be learned, it's been stated you must learn it from someone else that possesses the techniques and skills. However, looking at the skills' requirements, they only has 'X Post Jonin training', which is similar to other skills that can basically be learned on one's own once they've reached the indicated rank, as mentioned in the quoted Skills rule for Chuunin/Jounin/Sennin/Kage Training. So going off a technicality, a player could realistically learn those skills and the techniques on their own upon achieving Jounin right? I figure this isn't as intended but I just imagined someone doing all the training solo and then getting denied when a GM or modmin looks at the thread(s).

This also poses another question that I assume is as intended, but the aforementioned makes me wonder: if a character is taught the Rasengan and Chidori, they can't teach it to others until they are Jounin themselves, correct?

The part you're missing is that you need the permission of the creation owner to learn Chidori or Rasengan. The thing that requires you to learn it from a character that knows the jutsu is that the owners stipulate that you have to learn it from someone that knows it in order to get their blessing. Technically the owner, as written, could say you could just learn it. But that's not how we handle those two.

Second part is correct.

I had been considering the asking of permission as that should be the first thing you do for almost anything that isn't on the main site. My thought more so gravitated to the owner not specifying it at the time for whatever reason, such as simply forgetting to or assuming its common knowledge, which a newer player wouldn't know of and could never find out. The likelihood is extremely low for such to occur of course. I'm solely going off the wording itself suggesting such was possible through the skills rule and being dissimilar from, say, the way your Rasengan/Chidori equivalent Alchem technique or the Flying Thunder God technique is worded in that it specifically requires a teacher. That was all, but fair enough.

Edited by Celes

Combinatorial; Scorch says:

Spoiler

May use Scorch Element techniques. Scorch techniques that strike the opponent raise the cost of any technique used that turn by 10%. Does not stack. In addition, the user may choose to apply the bonus from one of the Subtle Elements skills required to learn this element if they own it.
Requirements: Subtle Elements; Fire & Wind

When it states it does not stack, does that mean it doesn't stack with other instances of Scorch or it cannot be used in conjunction with any cost increasing technique? For example, if a character had two main phases, used and hit with a Gravity technique and a Scorch technique. Is the cost increase 30% from gravity and 10% from Scorch, or is it 30% from Gravity or 10% from Scorch. If the latter, does that also mean that putting Exhausted on Scorch techniques is pointless?