Kido

Question And Answer

Stupid Question.

If a skill grants a Permanent Bonus to a stat, IE Mokuton, the Tank stat trainers, etc.

Does that value count towards the 10% Passive limit?

Example, if you had 3000 Total stats without the skill, you'd get 300 You could have.

If you had 4000 After it added to Chakra, or Stamina, or what not, would you get 400 for gear?

Just wanted a clarification on the skill freelancer. 

Whenever you would gain money, you may gain an additional $3 for every $10 you are given. This does not apply to Trades or Transactions.

Does this mean whenever we are given holiday awards, GM awards, etc freelancer kicks in?

Nope. But as long as a Giant Scroll has at least 1 jutsu still inscribed in it, then it doesn't get consumed from your inventory, so if you were a scroll ninja who for whatever reason did not have scroll arts, you could use the first jutsu in the scroll, and save the second one for another time.

• Like 1

Nope. But as long as a Giant Scroll has at least 1 jutsu still inscribed in it, then it doesn't get consumed from your inventory, so if you were a scroll ninja who for whatever reason did not have scroll arts, you could use the first jutsu in the scroll, and save the second one for another time.

Thanks!

These two things are unrelated to scrolls but have been bothering me for a few days now.

Firstly, are Sennin and Kage considered to be the same rank as far as the game's mechanics are concerned? Some spots in rules mention one or the other so I think they're treated synonymously, but a few times they're both mentioned, so I'm a bit confused about whether they're treated as the same rank.

And second, just so that I'm certain, does what I've quoted below (from Response Phase Jutsu) means that Gennin and Chuunin always lose their Main Phase if they use Response Phase Jutsu of either type, and that they usually lose their Setup Phase too? And that Jounin and Sennin will usually lose their Main Phase to Regular Response Phase Jutsu, but will never lose their Setup Phase? And that sometimes Sennin don't lose their Main Phase to Negation Response Phase Jutsu?

Sorry, I'm having trouble parsing it.

Response Phase Jutsu are, as you may have guessed, jutsu that are used in the Response Phase. They come in two major types; Regular and Negation. Negation Response Phase Jutsu are jutsu that completely negate, dodge or otherwise evade an attack. Normal Response Phase Jutsu are any jutsu that increase chance to dodge, block, create shields/barriers, or do anything else aside strictly negating the effects of an attack. These two type of Response Phase Jutsu have slightly different restrictions and rules, seen below.

Gennin

- Loss of Setup Phase (rarely circumstantial)

- Loss of Main Phase

Chuunin

- Loss of Setup Phase (circumstantial)

- Loss of Main Phase

Jounin

- 60% Chance to lose Main Phase

- Loss of Main Phase (Negation Jutsu)

Sennin

- 25% Chance to lose Main Phase

- Circumstantial Loss of Main Phase (Negation Jutsu)

Sennin and Kage are the same rank. Let me know when you see Kage and I will update it (Kage is really a RP title that is given the Sennin, but in the past Sennin didn't officially exist as a rank).

Your synopsis is correct on the Response Phase Jutsu. In most cases Negation will always lose your Main Phase, but Sennin have the option to try and not lose their Main Phase. Anything below Sennin will not even be considered in approvals.

• Like 1

Hypothetical: Speed is somehow reduced to zero or very near zero.

The main site says the opponent gains multiple Main Phase actions depending upon their SP/TO, and maxes out at three actions per turn, sets their TO equal to the person who hasn't had a turn yet (In this case, 1000 is Highest TO), etc. This is all very well documented, but my question is: Doesn't this effectively immobilize a PC?

I'm imagining a scenario where someone could simply debuff their opponent's Speed, possibly while simultaneously buffing their own, and in that scenario, most possibilities of mounting an effective defense become nullified.

Let me put it this way: Ninja A debuffs Ninja B's speed significantly. This causes B's SP/TO to change, and A's along with it. It's conceivable then, that A might get another action, especially if they debuffed in the Setup Phase somehow. A could then buff their own Speed, and get yet another action. Since this is A's final action this turn, they could pretty easily nuke B, even if they don't one-shot them immediately. From my view, B has no way (again, apart from specialized techs/skills) to mitigate this except to "run down the clock" somehow or another.

Granted, this is all very hypothetical, wildly impractical to implement, (and I'm probably wrong about the whole thing) but I'm curious: How might B deal with this?

Edited by dowhatnow

So, I'm actually not really sure what the question is here, but let me step through a few things to clarify first and maybe I'll accidentally answer your question. 

• A character's Speed Percentile and Turn Order are only calculated (or cared about) in their Loss Phase. 
    • ​If you were to lower a player's Speed, you would need to first hit them and then it would need to get to their Loss Phase for this to come into effect.
    • Your opponent's Speed doesn't actually effect your SP or TO anymore. If your opponent's Speed changes you don't need to recalculate your own SP. 
    • So there is no way that if you try and lower your opponent's Speed on your turn that it will have an effect on your SP or TO on that turn.
    • For Speed, technically how the rules handle this is that you go...
      • ​Response Phase — Action 1
      • Setup Phase — Action 1
      • Main Phase — Action 1
      • Loss Phase — Your TO is still the lowest, but you would have two turns in a row so INSTEAD add an additional Main Phase Action. Return to Main Phase.
      • Main Phase — Action 2
      • Loss Phase — Your TO is STILL the lowest! Hot damn! But instead of a second turn in a row you get an additional Main Phase Action again! Return to Main Phase.
      • Main Phase — Action 3
      • Loss Phase — Oh shit, your TO is STILL THE LOWEST! You must be hacking. Anyways, you can't have a third turn in a row. Instead set your TO equal to the lowest TO of opponent's and pass your turn. Hacker.
  • ​You could however raise your own Speed in a turn! As long as the Speed is raised by the Loss Phase that is all the rules care about. So if you read your Loss Phase, calculate your SP and then would have another turn, you get it!

​I think your question is "How can Ninja B interact with Ninja A to stop them from boosting their Speed in their own turn and getting multiple actions against them?" and the answer is... they can't. But the rules are built in away to make this difficult to do! Especially as levels increase and getting double or triple speed is very hard to do out of no where. The best that you often will come across is a player getting a surprise second action because the TO was close and they managed to squeak an action out when you weren't expecting it. Currently the rules would just say this is good strategy. That said, the Setup Phase rules were adjusted recently to limit what you can do, so if you wanted to do something like this you likely would have to be using your Main Phase Actions, which would likely waste those actions and make the whole thing less effective anyways.

I have an idea for an attack (Sasuke's Kirin is a good example), one that takes a lot of preparation and components to have it come to light. Would there be anyway to do this? Take Kirin, would it be one ninjutsu that took up multiple main phases to work, or would it be one ninjutsu that requires certain jutsus be cast prior to with other conditions that needed to be met (Kirin=must be outside)? Just playing around with a few ideas, lemme know where you guys stand on this sort of thing.

This link will take you directly to the rules section for "Dynamic Traps" which are traps that require certain conditions to be met in the battle prior to the use of the technique. Kirin, for instance, is one of these.

Edited by Cellar Door
  • Like 1

To elaborate on Cellar Door's answer, a Dynamic Trap would probably be the most efficient way to get this point across, but here are a few other options for 'charge' attack mechanics. Not all of these are equal, but they would each give you some kind of small bonus for the trouble you go through.

- The user skips their Setup Phase this turn in order use this attack. 

- If the user was not attacked this turn they may skip their Response Phase and Setup Phase in order to use this attack.

- The attack uses two (2) Main Phase actions from a single turn.
- The user may skip up to three (3) Main Phases to charge this attack. For each Main Phase skipped, add an additional { mechanic } to this attack.

• Like 1