Kido

Question And Answer

All of these rules are so foreign to me. Looking into making a character, so questions abound. Simple stuff first:

1. How does bleed damage interact with the defense stat? It seems like a very inefficient way to deal damage if the defense stat reduces it, but having it ignore the stat entirely seems slightly... overpowered. 

2. Defense stat - what is the lowest that it can reduce the damage of one of my technique? Is that minimum based on total damage after modifiers or the base damage of the technique?

1. Bleed/Burn/Poison ignores modifiers. This means that Defense does not decrease the amount of damage dealt, but also that Nin/Gen/Tai do not increase it. If a technique says it does 20 Bleed Damage, and it hits, it just deals that 20 Bleed Damage. 

2. Defense: "This can never reduce an incoming attack below 5% of its total damage, rounded up." From: 2.01 Effects and Stats.

Ah yes. I understand. The 'Passive Damage Reduction' in Jutsu rules had confused me when I looked to Defense. >_< Thank you Rhap.  

I was looking through old skills. This one seems out of date and I don't know how it could be updated, given the apparent change to the status effect Enraged. Just thought I would bring it up, since I had been considering it for my character:

http://ninja-academy-online.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31221

What are the rules for landing critical hits with multi strike attacks? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I can't find any on the site. Critical rules say the *attack* deals 1.5x it's total damage, but Attack/Strike rules say that an attack can be made of multiple strikes. So if I throw a 3 strike attack at them, and they roll a 1, a 56, and a 93, does that 1 make them take 1.5x the damage of the entire attack, or 1.5x one third the total damage? (I'm assuming the latter, but. . .)

On that note, there seems to be a conflict on increased critical chance. Jutsu rules say that the maximum is 30%, but Battle System rules say 50% by passive effects and 75% by active. Am I just reading that wrong?

Say you are using a jutsu that performs 3 strikes for 30 damage. That means your opponent has to roll for each one separately. So lets say they roll 1,40, and 90.

That would mean the first attack does critical hit so it deals 1.5 times the normal damage, but unless the other ones critical hit they just do normal damage.

I can show you how it would be done in damage tags too if you would like

Edited by Leon

Damage tags would be nice. Basically what I'm asking is, using your example, is that critical strike doing 45 damage (1.5x the damage of the attack, like critical rules imply) or is it doing 15 damage (1.5x the damage of that individual strike)?

(you were saying 30 total damage, not 30 damage per strike, right?)

On that note, there seems to be a conflict on increased critical chance. Jutsu rules say that the maximum is 30%, but Battle System rules say 50% by passive effects and 75% by active. Am I just reading that wrong?

Those maximums are correct, but the jutsu one doesn't conflict. You just can't add more than 30% from a tech. It even states that in the crit rules.

(Also it's per strike. You roll for each strike, so if one strike is crit, then you multiply the damage of the strike by 1.5x, NOT the entire attack. In the case of your example, it's 15.)

Edited by Rhapsody

Right it would be like this 

[30 Base Damage + 0 Nin mod - 0 Def Mod = 30 Per Strike}

Opponent rolls 1,40,92

Crit Hit = [30 * 1.5 = 45]

Opponent takes 45, 30, dodge

Does that help zero?

Edited by Leon

Normally it goes by order of operations, so powers and parathesis -> multiple and divide -> addition subtraction.

However, in your example Iron Skin and Chakra Barrier say "total damage" which means they are applied last after all other modifiers. Things like Resistance Mastery are rolled in with the Defense and Ninjutsu calculations.

Protective Cross (Kago Kouso); Level 1
Type: Ninjutsu [General]
Cost: 75 Chakra 
Effect: The next Gennin level Ninjutsu/Genjutsu used against the target is negated. 
Description: The medical ninja inscribes a small cross on any exposed skin of the target. This cross glows very dimly and protects the bearer from harm. 
Cost: 3

^ Does this take effect automatically in the response phase, or does it only trigger if the character fails to dodge? 

Summoning Tattoos

Your dedication to the summoning arts is deep, dedicating your own body as a canvas for your work. The tattoo allows you to preform the ritual without chakra.
With this skill, you can create one summoning tattoo on your body. This must be done out of battle, and it can only be used once per battle per rank in this skill. With this you may attempt to summon a creature without paying the cost of the specified summoning technique, although its success rate is lower. After you roll your die and add your modifiers, you subtract 50 (cannot be less than 1). Takes 10 posts to create a tattoo on yourself, but only has to be done once as tattoos never fade.

^ The main site says there's 3 ranks to this skill, but it's not clear on what each rank does. Are you allowed up to 3 tattoos? If that's the case, what exactly is the point in having more than one (if a tattoo is linked to a specific summon family, shouldn't the description say that)?

Edited by ZeroFate

Protective Cross: That depends entirely on if your target is a willing recipient or not. If you're trying to use it to prevent an enemy technique from working on them, they can attempt to dodge, in which case it is only effective after a failed dodge. On an ally, they would likely forgo a dodge roll to receive the benefits, in which case it would take effect immediately in the Response Phase.

Summoning Tattoo: Different summons, different tattoo. You may have one tat per summon.

On the Protective Cross, I meant after it had already been applied. If someone shoots a fireball at my friend who I put the cross on one turn previously, does the cross automatically block it, or is it a safety net in case they don't dodge it? 

Okay, so I seem to remember getting an answer to this on Skype, but I want to have it on the forums so I can refer to it. 

"+X% bonus to hit/+X% chance to dodge" (i.e. Dynamic Traps, Survival Tactics, Subtle Elements: Lightening)

Do these effects happen at the same time as Evasion/Accuracy modifiers, or are they applied after?